Is Sister Faustina’s Divine Mercy Devotion something to avoid?

I’ve read a summary that there is much in her diary that was found to be problematic and as a result was put on the forbidden books up until after Vatican II.

**On page 23 of the book Divine Mercy in My Soul (The Diary of Sr. Faustina), it says: “…
and the host came out of the tabernacle and came to rest in my hands and I, with joy,
placed it back in the tabernacle. This was repeated a second time, and I did the same
thing. Despite this, it happened a third time…”

On page 89 of the book Divine Mercy in My Soul, it says: “When the priest approached me
again, I raised the host for him to put back into the chalice, because when I had first
received Jesus I could not speak before consuming the host, and so could not tell Him
that the other host had fallen. But while I was holding the host in my hand, I felt such
a power of love that for the rest of the day I could neither eat nor come to my senses. I
heard these words from the host: I desired to rest in your hands, not only in your
heart.”

On page 168, it says: “The moment I knelt down to cross out my own will, as the Lord
had bid me to do, I heard this voice in my soul: From now on, do not fear God’s
judgement, for you will not be judged.”3 (From Feb. 4, 1935)

On page 176, “Jesus” says to her: “You are a sweet grape and a chosen cluster; I want
others to have a share in the juice that is flowing within you.”

On page 191, “Jesus” says to her: “For your sake I will withhold the hand which
punishes; for your sake I will bless the Earth.”

On page 247, “Jesus” says: “And know this, too, My daughter: All creatures, whether
they know it or not, and whether they want to or not, always fulfill my will… My
daughter, if you wish, I will this instant create a new world, more beautiful than this one,
and you will live there for the rest of your life.”

On page 260, “Jesus” says: “For many souls will turn back from the gates of Hell and
worship My mercy.”**

The first problem is the promotion of
Communion in the hand, which is supposedly endorsed by Our Lord.

Second, we see unnecessary praise heaped upon this sister. We see things said to her supposedly
by Our Lord that wouldn’t foster humility, but vanity – that she is basically the greatest thing in
the world. We don’t believe Our Lord would ever instruct her to tell her superior that she is the
most faithful daughter in the Order. Our Lord could have told the superior such a thing, if he
wanted it known.

All these things considered, the Divine Mercy Devotion is something which should be avoided
by Catholics. Catholics should say an extra rosary or the Stations of the Cross instead.

What do you think? If you want to be redirected to the article I will do so.

I’ve read a summary that there is much in her diary that was found to be problematic and as a result was put on the forbidden books up until after Vatican II.

On page 23 of the book Divine Mercy in My Soul (The Diary of Sr. Faustina), it says: “…
and the host came out of the tabernacle and came to rest in my hands and I, with joy,
placed it back in the tabernacle. This was repeated a second time, and I did the same
thing. Despite this, it happened a third time…”

On page 89 of the book Divine Mercy in My Soul, it says: “When the priest approached me
again, I raised the host for him to put back into the chalice, because when I had first
received Jesus I could not speak before consuming the host, and so could not tell Him
that the other host had fallen. But while I was holding the host in my hand, I felt such
a power of love that for the rest of the day I could neither eat nor come to my senses. I
heard these words from the host: I desired to rest in your hands, not only in your
heart.”

On page 168, it says: “The moment I knelt down to cross out my own will, as the Lord
had bid me to do, I heard this voice in my soul: From now on, do not fear God’s
judgement, for you will not be judged.”3 (From Feb. 4, 1935)

On page 176, “Jesus” says to her: “You are a sweet grape and a chosen cluster; I want
others to have a share in the juice that is flowing within you.”

On page 191, “Jesus” says to her: “For your sake I will withhold the hand which
punishes; for your sake I will bless the Earth.”

On page 247, “Jesus” says: “And know this, too, My daughter: All creatures, whether
they know it or not, and whether they want to or not, always fulfill my will… My
daughter, if you wish, I will this instant create a new world, more beautiful than this one,
and you will live there for the rest of your life.”

On page 260, “Jesus” says: “For many souls will turn back from the gates of Hell and
worship My mercy.”

The first problem is the promotion of
Communion in the hand, which is supposedly endorsed by Our Lord.

Second, we see unnecessary praise heaped upon this sister. We see things said to her supposedly
by Our Lord that wouldn’t foster humility, but vanity – that she is basically the greatest thing in
the world. We don’t believe Our Lord would ever instruct her to tell her superior that she is the
most faithful daughter in the Order. Our Lord could have told the superior such a thing, if he
wanted it known.

All these things considered, the Divine Mercy Devotion is something which should be avoided
by Catholics. Catholics should say an extra rosary or the Stations of the Cross instead.

What do you think? If you want to be redirected to the article I will do so.

What is the problem with your first problem? The Church allows this, do you have a problem with authority?

Divine Mercy Sunday has been elevated to a feast of the Church (it takes place on the Sunday after Easter), and Sister Faustina has been elevated to the status of Saint.

I would stick to her approved writings, though, and avoid the likes of the above. She is not, after all, considered a Doctor of the Church, and some of her writings are not approved for general reading.

Please don’t. Google tells me the article comes from a notorious sedevacantist website. Best to avoid the place, and research the Divine Mercy and Saint Faustina through actual Catholic sources.

tee

I certainly hope it isn’t something to avoid because I say it every day… :slight_smile:

It is my favorite set of prayers because it focuses me on the Eucharist and Christ’s sacrifice…For the sake of his sorrowful passion have mercy on us and on the whole world…I can’t see how that is bad.

Eternal father, I offer you the body and the blood, soul and divinity of your dearly beloved son. Our lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world…also seem pretty straightforward to me.

What is your objection to it? Just curious.

Yes, divine mercy is a great devotion and makes a lot of sense. I would also stick with her approved writings. Really, I have never heard those before and wouldn’t trust them.

Faustina’s not infallible. No big deal. The actual devotion is approved, so the Church says it won’t hurt you.

Stay away from the other stuff, because a lot of it is crazy.

BTW, the suppression wasn’t all that effective. My dad was taught catechism by Swiss nuns in the 1940’s and 50’s. They taught the Gospel according to Faustina and really, really screwed him up. This this day, when I disagree with him on a mater of theology, I find it’s always something hinky in Faustina’s diary that he was taught as dogma.

Yes, there were crazy nuns way back then!

[post=4341856]This is what I think[/post].

I also think you should not start the same thread in multiple fora

My experience with the Divine Mercy is that Jesus wants everybody to know about it. (that seems like Him). He wants to spread the word to everybody before it is too late. (yep, still seems like the Jesus I know and love) I didn’t go pouring through Faustina’s writings to validate it or to find a reason to exalt her. The ONE to exalt is Jesus! I have read the Gospel and I believe that Jesus wants to save us from our sins. I feel a big “DUH” coming on.

I think overexamining this and looking for something to find fault in is like receiving a super deluxe gift and asking the person giving it to you…how much did it cost…where did you get it…how did you pay for it…

I say take the mercy and be grateful (eternally).:smiley:

I think the important focus needs to be on Jesus and His mercy and how we can trust in Him. I think Faustina was an instrument.

(understanding those words are not your own)
First, the Church has no problem with the reception of Communion in the hand.

Second, what do you consider unnecessary praise? Perhaps it was “unnecessary”, but more to the point, was it true? It is truly an uncharitable attack on the Sister’s character to say that these words from our Lord could only lead to vanity and destroy humility.
The quote from pg 168 I think does much to uphold the Sister, since she seeks to deny her own will in favour of God’s.

:amen: - St Faustina would never have received Communion in the hand - it wasn’t permitted practice at that time and in that place. That being so, I’m sure in obedience she wouldn’t endorse the unpermitted. So the passage can hardly be seen as endorsing CITH any more than the images of Mary holding baby Jesus in her hands can be seen to endorse it.

Secondly - is Jesus’ praise of her any more likely to foster vanity than the angel hailing Mary as ‘full of grace’? Or more likely than Christ’s awe-inspiring words to the Apostles giving them power to bind and loose heaven?

To be sure, there are always temptations to vanity, and praise can be a temptation, but what tempts one will not always tempt another, and especially in the case of a canonised saint we should always give the benefit of the doubt and presume that she was NOT unduly rempted to vanity by those words.

It would also be well to remember that the devotion to our Lady of La Sallete (very big with “traditionalists”) was also suppressed and that the seer in that instance was problematic. Yet it is today permitted by the Church.

WOW, we have a list of “forbidden” books? what other lists are there i don’t know about, and where do i find them?

[LIST=1]
*]If HMC, after extensive review by trained theologians, does not have a problem with the Diary, then why would it bother you? No one is forcing anyone to read it.

*]St. Faustina’s struggle to use human language to describe her visions regarding a Sacred Host have absolutely nothing to do with receiving Holy Communion in the hand.

*]If our dearest Lord was fond of Faustina because of her great love for Him and wanted to tell her so, who are any of us to think that He should not?

*]Before anyone can read the Diary with full understanding, one must understand the mystical language of love. Trying to read and interpret it through human understanding will only lead to abysmal failure.
[/LIST]

These sentences are taken out of the context. You should read the whole book before judging.
I agree that it doesn’t have to work for everybody, but Saint Faustina IS a saint of the Catholic Church.
It was difficult for me to read such language, difficult to imagine what she was going through. But, then again, if Jesus spoke to me like that, who knows if I’d ever come up with words to describe that experience.

Not any more. We had one for a while, but nobody ever paid any attention to it, other than “rebels without a cause” who would read the books that were on it as a way of getting one up on the man. :rolleyes:

So, we got rid of it. :thumbsup:

As for the Index, they weren’t really “forbidden”; you just weren’t allowed to pick them up for casual reading. Students and scholars could study them, and “average folk” could read them under spiritual direction.

As for Faustina being on it, my understanding was that the Church at the time was concerned about too many visionaries and new devotions popping up in post-Fatima hysteria.

I was unaware that there was any real “problem” with the content of the Diary, and, from what I’ve seen, it’s all pretty kosher. The problem with things like this is when people extrapolate–I’ve fallen into this trap myself in the past.

Like, Fatima says X.
Unapproved Apparition claims to fill in the gaps that Fatima left vague. It doesn’t really contradict Fatima, or at least not at the superficial level, so one thinks, “Oh! That must be filling in the gaps!”

That becomes "Apparitions all agree that. . . . " Even though, really, there are a number of disagreements.

Same here. I hvaen’t seen anything in the Diary that’s objectionable, but I’m sure there are a lot of people who take the general “prophetic” type stuff and disguise their interpretations–based upon mingling it with their preconceived notions–as being “the teaching of St. Faustina.”

Another thing is that I think a lot of people confuse “Divine Mercy” with “Divine Will” (which is definitely a false message, but very similar in certain aspects).

Lastly, as for Jesus “praising” Faustina too much, that’s not what I’ve read. Like most Saints who’ve received visions and locutions, Faustina talks about how Jesus is constantly criticising her for not being virtuous enough. Her very first vision was at a high school dance, where Jesus appeared to her in the full horror of the Passion, beaten and carrying His Cross, and condemned her for even being present at the dance.

Also, Jesus is always telling her to obey her Superiors, even if it means ignoring her private revelations.

These are trustworthy websites (operated by the Marians of the Immaculate Conception) where you can learn about the Divine Mercy devotion and St. Faustina. The websites were even given an excellent review rating for fidelity by Catholic Culture. (The Fidelity grade is used by Catholic Culture to indicate the degree to which a web site represents sound, authentic Catholicism.)

marian.org/

thedivinemercy.org/

catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/view.cfm?recnum=28&repos=2&subrepos=0&searchid=334380

thedivinemercy.org/message/johnpaul/index.php

So Christ assures her of her own salvation, states that we do not truly have free will and that even our sinful actions are the Will of God… nope, nothing to worry about there! :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.