Is smoking weed wrong?

It’s a more interesting question than you’re acknowledging. Think of the wedding at Cana. Christ’s first public miracle was turning water into wine: not at the beginning of the feast, but at the end, when the wine had run out…meaning people had already been drinking it. Not only did Christ fail to condemn the drinking of wine, He enabled people to drink more of it.

I’m not trying to be flippant here or paint Jesus as some kind of heavenly frat brother who just wants us all to get loaded whenever possible, but I do think it provides some direction on the basic question of “Should we sometimes eat, drink, and be merry?” Yes, because He did. St. Thomas Aquinas allowed that drinking “to the point of hilarity” was alright.

The idea that Christianity always and everywhere condemns even mild intoxication is, in my opinion, wrong. And I can see how someone could take that logic and apply it to the occasional, moderate use of marijuana. Now, maybe they’re wrong. But dismissing it as just Cheech and Chong looking for someone to help them rationalize their drug use is too easy, I think.

Again, I have no dog in this fight. I don’t smoke weed. But some of the condemnations here are just overwrought. There are many people who use weed on occasion and live healthy, productive, normal lives. (And yes, there are many people who abuse it and fry their brains.)

As a final note, talking about “drugs” in a conversation like this is way too broad to be helpful. As people have noted, weed is a drug. Heroin is a drug. Aspirin is a drug. Antihistamines are drugs. We need to look at them individually.

Yes - and we are not discussing such.

Wrong topic.

What we mean when discussing the war on drugs…and drugs smuggled into the country.

That kind of drug.

Hence it is* illegal *not basically legal.

And of course legal or not yes can effect the morality of an action - the fact that something is legal does not make an immoral action into a moral one.

And do cocaine…etc…etc…?

The fact of the a drug being “natural” does not make it good to use as recreation.

Another voice

ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/US.php?id=2012

"According to Fr. Coleman, there is “substantial evidence” that habitual and heavy marijuana smoking may cause chronic bronchitis, damage the pulmonary system and produce cancers in the mouth, throat and lungs though short-term effects seem to be no more harmful than moderate alcohol consumption.

The priest also cited the Vatican’s Pontifical Council for Health Care Ministry, whose pastoral handbook “ Church, Drugs, and Drug Addiction” teaches that cannabis use is “incompatible with Christian morality” because it is an intoxicant that dims reason and potentially is damaging to the integrity of one’s body and soul."

Also from that article:

"Fr. Juan R. Velez, an Opus Dei priest in the San Francisco area, spoke about the proposal with CNA.

“As a former physician and presently a Catholic priest I can affirm that both medicine and moral thinking argue against the legalization of marijuana.”

Marijuana “alters brain function” and for the most part has “harmful effects” on mood, consciousness and behavior.

“It poses a physical and mental danger to its users and to those exposed to the lives and actions of users. Marijuana causes addiction and opens the way to addiction to many other drugs. For any citizen this should be sufficient to advise against legalization of marijuana,” he commented."

I personally think it should be legal, as it is in Canada and other places. Illegality of this particular drug breeds gang/mob behavior, which is more harmful than the drug itself.

As to whether it’s a sin - does it interfere with your relationships? Does it stop you from attending Mass and saying prayers? Does it make you paranoid – this is an important one, because it’s a common side affect and paranoia is a mental disorder, not something that should be deliberately created by oneself. Also – smoking, do you smoke it or ingest in a physically less harmful manner? One could argue that smoking it is sinful as smoking harms one’s body, whereas eating it may not.

I would add if an individual feels guilt then it is sinful for them.

That’s not an answer. If you think someone is wrong about something, then at the very least you have to explain why you think they are wrong.

There are those out there who feel guilty in a false way. So no that does not necessarily follow.

This is not a comment on my part on the subject here (see above) but rather just on the notion of guilt and feelings and sin.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/drugs-a-new-form-of-slavery-pope-francis-says-87678/

“I join in saying no to every form of drugs. And perhaps it will do some good for everyone to say this, simply: no to every kind of drugs!”

~ Pope Francis

w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/audiences/2014/documents/papa-francesco_20140507_udienza-generale.html

It is not clear what is meant by “drugs”. Some people will say that alcoholic beverages are a drug or that nicotine or that caffeine is a drug. Mormons say no to coffee, but I don’t think that Roman Catholics do.

Yes it is clear…see the CCC.

The CCC has a *different *section of what you ask.

www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a5.htm#2290

We rather know what is meant by “drugs” and by the phrase do not use drugs.

Not talking about tylenol.

The CCC is not using the fact that something is illegal to define the term “drug” in the CCC. That goes against all logic. Substances go in and out of legality all around the world.

The problem with this statement, and others, is that the same thing can be said about alcohol.

People are looking for reason, not arbitrary answers.

Huh?

I never said it did.

Lets see what did I say?

Well…that is his quote from a whole document. One would have to go read the whole document to know what all they said.

The CATECHISM understands this so that is why it includes alcohol in a* different *article than “drug use”.

Alcohol can be used in an order fashion.

Those who wrote the quoted work I am sure do as we…and likely say much more on the matter that was not quoted.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.