Is Space Exploration Worth the Cost?

One word: Tang!

Without space exploration we never would’ve had Tang! Or Space Food Sticks! Or Velcro.

And the world would’ve been a poorer place.

Or everything from scuba dive to deep water submersible

Without complete knowledge of every asteroid within the solar system, I am curious how exactly we can state this as fact.

Costa Rica has the benefit of being under the umbrella of protection that is the US.

No it’s not always a bad thing, and yes sometimes bad folks have weapons. But if we disarm do you think the Chinese or the Russians will? Or do you think they’ll just start gobbling up their neighbors since there’s no longer anyone to counter them?

No doubt someone warned Columbus and Vasco de Gama that man was not meant to traverse beyond the horizon on the endless oceans. Yet they went anyway.

In the future the question will arise whether man should limit his exploration to his own galaxy or venture to explore other galaxies. It will be hotly disputed. Yet somebody will go anyway.

When I was very young long before the US-USSR space race I used to speculate on space travel. My cousin opined that mankind would never get to the moon because it was not meant to be and God would not let it happen.

I don’t know how much space exploration actually goes on. A lot of it seems to be CGI and conjecture. NASA gets 52 million dollars a day in funding. I am more inclined to believe that they are a money laundering operation more than anything, perhaps funding the CIA’s black ops or influx cash into funding wars that aren’t popular. Expenses that they don’t want in the public domain in a budget, but list it as “NASA” and it gets voted through by legislators. Who knows, but all that money could be better spent elsewhere. $52 million a day could house and feed quite a few people and rebuild bridges and other infrastructure.

NASA tracks large space debris and used to publish a monthly (as I recall) list of all the space junk orbiting the earth. You don’t want to send a rocket up only to have the payload collide with something. In order to stay in orbit, the spacecraft/satellite needs to be moving very fast or its orbit will gradually deteriorate. Satellites have boosters to keep them in the right spot and there is some evidence of satellite refueling missions.

Without a faster than light drive, I think mankind will be staying on earth. And even if a breakthrough occurred tomorrow which would allow us to travel to the nearest star system or habitable planet in hours, it would be wise to do an unmanned recon first.

Clean the ocean. And support water reclamation programs as southern California is running out of water and is putting water restrictions in place. and there are a whole huge load of desperate homeless people in southern California living on the street. Why not provide some bathroom facilities for them instead of spending money to go to the moon. The homeless are in desperate need of food, clothing, shelter and a place to use the toilet. The lack of toilet facilities can cause disease to spread. You will not prevent disease and hurt to homeless families by going to the moon. But you will prevent disease and help out hungry homeless families by providing them with a minimum level of existence and at least toilet facilities.
It is also possible to set up some sort of government work programs for them. Let’s make America great again by supporting the homeless who need toilet facilities.

Just a thought on the topic:

Why does investment in the sciences have to be “worth it”?

Not everything should be viewed in terms of it’s market value.
Making discoveries and exploring is an end in itself and shouldn’t necessarily be viewed in terms of how we may be able to exploit that for profit.

Well, I believe Velcro was conceived many years before in the 1940’s.

Could be. I thought it was from the Apollo program

The VELCRO ® brand of hook and loop was invented by a man named George de Mestral in the 1940’s while hunting in the Jura mountains in Switzerland. Mr. de Mestral, a Swiss engineer, realized that the tiny hooks of the cockle-burs were stuck on his pants and in his dog’s fur and wondered how they attached themselves.

It was patented in 1955.

Sadly, that’s all investment is, with some rare exceptions. Google parent, Alphabet, has an X lab that still requires money but has a high tolerance for failure.

For me, exploration and science should be fun.

Yeah, which is why there’s no point relying on business to invest in scientific research. Some research will need government funding because it’s got no immediate prospect of profitability.

The private sector is leading the way as far as commercializing space and assisting NASA. I’m not sure what the end goals are for the next five years but space activity will not be slowing down.

NO, thats not what I mean.

Its not about being America’s Fault at all. sheesh.

Ease back on the she is engaging in anti american rhetoric. Ease back on the rest of the world thinking its your place to solve everything. Ease back on the its all America’s fault. Ease back on the oh other countries sit back in a nice place and say why aren’t the Americans working on this.

FWIW, it is a global problem, Plastics in the ocean and the damage they are causing, and the fact that plastics are now found in almost every waterway , do you buy bottled water? whats its plastics count?

WE all, everyone Globally use plastics. WE use macro and micro plastics, All of us.

Do you have a problem with that sentiment?

(waits to be flagged and flamed, but you know, your post is really insulting to me. )

In short:

No. See 1 Tim. 6:7, which seems to draw upon Job 1:21 & Ecc. 5:15.

Most of what you ‘see’ and ‘hear’ related to ‘space exploration’ is propagandistic, self-serving, and ultimately fraud (though certain truths are utilized), especially that ‘Apollo’ and ‘mars’ business. Humans and satan (see 2 Cor. 4:4; Rev. 12:8-13) are confined to this local earth, though having access to high altitudes.

N.A.S.A. - Not Always Scientifically Accurate
N.A.S.A. - Never A Straight Answer
N.A.S.A. - Numerous Anomalies Scams Abound
N.A.S.A. - National Academy of Space Actors
N.A.S.A. - Not Anything, Simply Aether,
N.A.S.A. - Neither Aerospace, Sadly, Astro-NOTS!
N.A.S.A. - Never Accept the Serpents Assertions.

The ‘space program’ is actually another system based upon the ‘tower of babel’ reasoning/thought, being another way up into Heaven other than The Way (John 14:6), another ladder other than the Jacob’s Ladder - Jesus Christ. The only way into Heaven now is by vision, or by John 14:1-3.

Some names I may recommend to you (most of which is freely available online to read or watch, consider scientifically). Bill Kaysing. James Collier (Was it only a paper moon); Bart Sibrel (Astronauts Gone Wild); Ralph Rene (Nasa Mooned America), Marcus Allen. David Percy (What happened on the Moon, Analysis; Hall of Mirrors), Mary Bennett. Jim Fetzer. Jarrah White (Moon Faker, Mars Faker (youtube)), Richard Hall, and in this present list, last but not least, N.A.S.A. itself, and its own material, still available and that which has since been removed, deleted, redacted, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.