Is speeding a sin?

Is speeding a sin? By speeding, I mean going between 1 and 20 mph or so over the speed limit.

I think going so fast that you endanger your own life and the lives of others would be a sin, but what about just keeping up with traffic or a little faster?

Also, I talked to a priest about it and he said speeding was not a sin.

I think it is grey area. Keeping up with traffic, no, I wouldn’t really think so. I think the speeds where cops generally won’t pull you over (like 5-7 mph) are fine. I think 15-20 over starts to be a bit dangerous and could possibly be considered sinful.

Deliberate disobedience to civil authority where they are not in conflict with moral law is sin.

Of course, it is possible to speed without noticing (that doesn't mean you should neglect your speedometer) and sometimes safety requires keeping up with the flow of traffic. Since safety is part of moral law, it would not be sin to speed only for safety reasons.

Sin =missing the mark. So yes,it is a sin. But a minor miss.

No, it is not a sin. It is stupid and dangerous and against the law, but so is not wearing a bicycle helmet in some communities and jay walking. Just because something is against the law and stupid does not make it a sin. I agree with you priest.

As almost everything else, it depends upon the context.

If everybody else is over the limit, it would not be a sin just keeping up with them, IMASP.

Blowing through a school zone at 60 MPH or Kph would be.

There are two issues; submission to the civil power, and respect for human life.

ICXC NIKA

So just keeping up with traffic is fine?

What do you guys do when you drive?

[quote="GEddie, post:6, topic:324552"]
As almost everything else, it depends upon the context.

If everybody else is over the limit, it would not be a sin just keeping up with them, IMASP.

Blowing through a school zone at 60 MPH or Kph would be.

There are two issues; submission to the civil power, and respect for human life.

ICXC NIKA

[/quote]

The CCC reference is here...

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

It pairs speeding with driving drunk in the degree of culpability.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.