Is spending time trading securities immoral?

I am interested in the idea of creating algorithms to automatically buy and sell different securities but am not sure if that is morally wrong. This would not be a full time job, just something on the side to grow my investments. I know this is unlikely to make money, but my question is about should I even attempt if viewed through a catholic lens. I know investing in a company is not a sin, but I’m not sure where this kind of thing applies in the spectrum of investing or gambling. Thanks

It’s just a way of doing business.

It is in a way akin to gambling, but gambling itself, provided life responsibilities are not abandoned and addictive behavior not involved, is not per se a sin.

ICXC NIKA

No it is not immoral.

By the way, I am sure you know this but 95% of day traders lose money, 3% break even and only 2% make money.

Of course trading securities is moral. If you have capital then you must park it somewhere. Your risk of gain or loss already exists. Gambling, on the other hand, creates risk which otherwise do not exist. If you leverage your capital and invest then to the extent you leverage you gamble.

The better question is why do it if you think it more likely to lose than to profit?

Gambling in itself is not immoral.

CCC 2413 Games of chance (card games, etc.) or wagers are not in themselves contrary to justice. They become morally unacceptable when they deprive someone of what is necessary to provide for his needs and those of others. The passion for gambling risks becoming an enslavement. Unfair wagers and cheating at games constitute grave matter, unless the damage inflicted is so slight that the one who suffers it cannot reasonably consider it significant.

Where do you think “sin” would come into the picture?
It’s not wrong.
It’s probably not profitable either…

Sometimes extremely profitable. Type “stale pricing arbitrage” into your search engine. The stock markets are efficient but not perfectly efficient.

Gee, everybody should do it!

Oddly enough, if they did it would no longer work.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.