Is St. Patrick's Day a solemnity for those in the Diocese of New York?

Is St. Patrick's Day a solemnity for those in the Archdiocese of New York (in the state of New York)? Or would it just be a solemnity for those for whom the cathedral is their home parish?

I don’t think it would be either. You’d probably have to go to Ireland or Montserrat to find that lind of treatment for St. Paddy.

Officially; Saint Patrick's Day during Lent was never a Solemnity. It's celebrated optionally at the discretion of the parish priest. Should March 17th fall on a Sunday of Lent the Liturgical Solemnity within the season of Lent always takes precedent.

Some priests within designated Irish Parishes in diocesan communities will make "optional" special prayers included within the Mass in mention of Saint Patrick.

Peace
Chris

I understand that St. Patrick's Day has never been a world wide solemnity.

I specifically asked about New York because the Cathedral of St. Patrick is the seat of the Archdiocese of New York.

[quote="SMHW, post:1, topic:314721"]
Is St. Patrick's Day a solemnity for those in the Archdiocese of New York (in the state of New York)? Or would it just be a solemnity for those for whom the cathedral is their home parish?

[/quote]

I believe it is for the entire diocese.

[quote="SMHW, post:4, topic:314721"]
I understand that St. Patrick's Day has never been a world wide solemnity.

I specifically asked about New York because the Cathedral of St. Patrick is the seat of the Archdiocese of New York.

[/quote]

I would expect that kind of information would be on either the Cathedral's or Archdiocese's website. The closest thing I can find is an Irish Heritage concert on March 14.

Of course, March 17 falls on a Sunday this year so that takes precedence.

In the EF Saint Patrick's day in the Archdiocese of NY is a 1st class solemnity with Gloria and Creed.

latinmassnyc.org/2012/03/317-solemn-mass-for-feast-of-st-patrick.html

St. Patrick is the patron saint of the Archdiocese of New York, which makes his day a solemnity.

Short reply "NO". St. Patricks Day is the same all over the world and not special to NYC.

No… It’s not the same all over the world. :nope:

Like most saint feast days, St. Patrick’s Day is sometimes a local solemnity.

Exactly. St. Patrick is the patron of the Diocese of Sacramento, therefore his feast is celebrated as a solemnity here (and the bishop gives dispensation from abstinence when it happens to fall on a Friday).

[quote="babochka, post:11, topic:314721"]
Exactly. St. Patrick is the patron of the Diocese of Sacramento, therefore his feast is celebrated as a solemnity here (and the bishop gives dispensation from abstinence when it happens to fall on a Friday).

[/quote]

Is a bishop required to give a dispensation from abstinence for local solemnities? The code of canon law just says "solemnity". I am unaware of any special rulings the USCCB may have that specify whether or not we should observe local solemnities the same way we do national and/or worldwide solemnities.

[quote="SMHW, post:12, topic:314721"]
Is a bishop required to give a dispensation from abstinence for local solemnities? The code of canon law just says "solemnity". I am unaware of any special rulings the USCCB may have that specify whether or not we should observe local solemnities the same way we do national and/or worldwide solemnities.

[/quote]

If it is a local solemnity, then in that diocese or parish, it is a solemnity. That means if it is a Friday, abstinence is automatically dispensed, in keeping with canon law. No special permission is needed.

[quote="SMHW, post:12, topic:314721"]

[/quote]

You're right. The bishop clarified that abstinence was not required when the feast day fell on Friday. Was it last year or the year before? I don't remember, but it has happened recently.

It's up to the local bishop of the diocese. I lived in a diocese once whose patron was St. Patrick. The bishop lifted the Lenten obligations for that day, which was his right and prerogative. to do. But in most places, this will not be the case.

[quote="Leon_Bloy, post:15, topic:314721"]
It's up to the local bishop of the diocese. I lived in a diocese once whose patron was St. Patrick. The bishop lifted the Lenten obligations for that day, which was his right and prerogative. to do. But in most places, this will not be the case.

[/quote]

I'm not clear what you mean? By "in most places" do you mean places that have St. Patrick for a patron saint? Or do you mean places that don't.

If St. Patrick's Day is celebrated as a solemnity then there would be no Lenten obligation of Friday abstinence for the bishop to "lift".

It's important to remember that St Patrick' Day as with most saints feast days are NEVER a solemnity. Never

His is an optional feast day. Not a solemnity.

The following are solemnities in the Roman Calendar: Mary, Mother of God, Epiphany, St. Joseph, Annunciation, Easter, Ascension, Pentecost, Trinity Sunday, Corpus Christi, Sacred Heart, Nativity of St. John the Baptist, St. Peter and Paul, Assumption of Mary, All Saints, Christ the King, Immaculate Conception of Mary, and Christmas

There are other regional solemnities (not sure about religious orders) so it's wisest to check

At first glace, St. Patrick's Day would seem to meet the requirement to be a solemnity for the cathedral parish of St. Patrick's in New York since it meets the criteria a) for a local solemnity.
a) Solemnity of the principal Patron of the place, city or state;
b) Solemnity of the dedication/anniversary of the dedication of one’s own church;
c) Solemnity of the Title of one’s own church;
d) Solemnity either of the Title, or of the Founder, or of the principal Patron of an Order or Congregation.
My original question was whether or not the designation of solemnity applies to the whole Archdiocese of New York as well as the cathedral parish. It's not clear to me now that St. Patrick's Day is even a solemnity for the cathedral parish. I've seen some evidence to suggest that, if they are different, the dedication day for a church or cathedral is celebrated as a solemnity but the feast of the patron saint is not. Now I'm more confused than ever.

After doing some reading I see that in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles the dedication day for the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels is only celebrated as a solemnity for cathedral parish. Other parishes celebrate it as a feast. Since the dedication day is two days before the actual Feast of Our Lady of the Angles, the dedication day is celebrated as a solemnity but the actual feast day is not.

The case of New York may be more complicated than I thought. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.