Is standing permitted during the middle of the Great Amen?

One of the choir leaders at our parish encourages the community to stand during the singing of the Great Amen. We are kneeled during the first round/verse and the as we begin the second round/verse we are encouraged to stand. So, some may technically say we have knelt during the Great Amen.
My concern over the state of confusion and lack of education of the faithful (myself included) wants me to address this with her because I see it as possibly leading the way to standing before the Amen is either sung or said. Could this practice the choir leader is encouraging be considered an abuse in that we are not remaining kneeling till the “conclusion” of the Great Amen which is in song? I hesitate to approach her if this cannot be considered a clear liturgical abuse as I believe she would be unreceptive to the possiblity of it becoming one…

The faithful should remain kneeling after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer. The choir director is to follow the liturgical directives as outlined in the *General Instruction of the Roman Missal *.

The *General Instruction of the Roman Missal *:

1. The faithful should stand from the beginning of the Entrance chant, or while the priest approaches the altar, until the end of the Collect; for the Alleluia chant before the Gospel; while the Gospel itself is proclaimed; during the Profession of Faith and the Prayer of the Faithful; from the invitation, Orate, fraters (Pray, brethren), before the prayer over the offerings until the end of Mass, except at the places indicated below.

They should, however, sit while the readings before the Gospel and the responsorial Psalm are proclaimed and for the homily and while the Preparation of the Gifts at the Offertory is taking place; and, as circumstances allow, they may sit or kneel while the period of sacred silence after Communion is observed.

In the dioceses of the United States of America, they should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer, except when prevented on occasion by reasons of health, lack of space, the large number of people present, or some other good reason. Those who do not kneel ought to make a profound bow when the priest genuflects after the consecration. The faithful kneel after the Agnus Dei unless the Diocesan Bishop determines otherwise.

Canon 846:

The liturgical books approved by the competent authority are to be faithfully observed in the celebration of the sacraments; therefore, no one on personal authority may add, remove, or change anything in them.

Recommended reading:

Mass Confusion

Catholic Answers Guide to Changes in the Mass

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.