Is staying together a joke now?

I have been with my husband a very long time (since i was 21)

I tell people this and many are like oh my I could never do that hahaha

sometimes I just dont want to even say that because I will get some ridicule

No one seems to find staying together a virtue anymore - it makes me sad

should i become a desperate housewife :shrug:

LOL not

[quote="snowpea, post:1, topic:208599"]

[/quote]

When Noah was building the Ark, he got ridiculed, too, but who had the last laugh?

[/quote]

It is indeed sad, but you are doing what is right. Cherish your riches.

LOL not

[/quote]

Are you discontent? The desperate housewives aren't happier for all their horrible "solutions." I'm not sure what your real underlying issue is. You know what is right, you evidently have practiced it for many years, so keep on keeping on. Most likely, the ridicule is from a way down deep sense of guilt on their part (i.e. they know they have failed, and that divorce/infidelity are sin, even if they would never vocalize it or perhaps even admit it to themselves). Keep fighting the good fight.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not to me it isn’t, but then again, I’m not of this generation. God bless you and your husband!

Two very good friend of mine have been married for 26 years, since she was 17 and he was 19. They have three beautiful children and a fun, adventurous live together. Sounds pretty close to perfect to me.

You don't mention any issues in your marriage, let alone issues grave enough to make it reasonable to consider leaving your husband. So long as your relationship is functional, enjoy a long a happy life together :D

A desperate housewife?? Why?

As long as you have a good marriage, you should celebrate! :thumbsup:

It was not a joke to me - but it was a joke to him. So I will go heal, and find a man who wishes not to turn a Sacrament created by Christ into a joke.

Thank you for your hope and encouragement through experience.

You have to remember that anyone under 30 grew up with a divorce rate of 50% and a high number of non-married parents. Higher rates of single parents if the person was black, poor, or military. How can people fathom something that something like only 1 out of 4 of their friends have?

I have been with my husband a very long time (since i was 21)

I tell people this and many are like oh my I could never do that hahaha

LOL not

[/quote]

You know what I've found interesting lately is the response I get from teens and those in their early 20s when I say we've been married 34 years. Generally they are impressed and some have even expressed the wish that their parents had been able to do the same.

We only have to look at what is being attacked by society and the devil the most to know what is most holy - marriage is just about #1 on that list! Staying together isn't a joke, but seperating couples and thus families and thus society is a goal of the devil and he is doing a splendid job! Disordered is the new norm, so when people see a contented household based on a solid marriage it is a strange, foreign, and even laughable thing. Also, if they don't have an intact marriage, either jealousy, pride or hopelessness makes them want to tear yours down or convince you that you are fooling yourself.
However, don't underestimate the silent ways in which your marriage inspires people and serves as a sign of Christ's faithfulness to us.

Oh no I am not discontent at all - I am very happy! That was my attempt at a funny :D

(i've never even seen desperate housewives or real wives of whatever it is etc)

Thanks for these replies-guess I shouldnt think about what others think so much-i was just commenting on the reactions I get these days-more later...

You and me, both, honey! :thumbsup: I get all kinds of comments from people who can’t believe nor understand that my husband and I have been HAPPILY married for 22 years!

It's no joke. I will be proud when my wife and I can say that. The sacrament of marriage is no more a joke than the euchrist.

I've been married 23 years this month, together 25 1/2 total. I never got a bad reaction but I did get asked what our secret was. :D Faith, love and devotion have a lot to do with it, but other than that I have no idea. :shrug:

Pax†

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.