Is Stephen Colbert serious about leaving Catholicism?

colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/376919/march-09-2011/stephen-gives-up-catholicism-for-lent

Now, I cannot tell if he's serious.

[quote="Windfish, post:1, topic:234386"]
colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/376919/march-09-2011/stephen-gives-up-catholicism-for-lent

Now, I cannot tell if he's serious.

[/quote]

No. This is a bit he is doing for Lent - he loves being Catholic so much he is giving it up for Lent. I am sure he will make a big deal about "returning" to the Church at Easter.

[quote="TMC, post:2, topic:234386"]
No. This is a bit he is doing for Lent - he loves being Catholic so much he is giving it up for Lent. I am sure he will make a big deal about "returning" to the Church at Easter.

[/quote]

I am not so sure, but I guess we will see.

Stephan Colbert is a character. Get serious.

Stephen Colbert is a Catholic and he is a character he plays on TV.

I don't find giving up Catholicism for Lent funny and I think it's disrespectful of the meaning of Lent.

Peace,
Ed

Stephen is quite serious about his Catholicism. He's the youngest of 11 children and has was an altar boy for many years. He's also been known to recite the Nicene Creed on the air. In its entirety. Father Jim Martin, a Jesuit priest, is a frequent guest on the 'Colbert Report'. Recently, Colbert was was even a Sunday School teacher:

We’re, you know, very devout and, you know, I still go to church and, you know, my children are being raised in the Catholic Church. And I was actually my daughters’ catechist last year for First Communion, which was a great opportunity to speak very simply and plainly about your faith without anybody saying, `Yeah, but do you believe that stuff?’ which happens a lot in what I do. (source)

As for how seriously he takes his Lent, his Lenten sacrifice in 2007 was sweets. That happened to be the year that his ice cream, Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream, was released. He wasn't even allowed to eat any until after Easter.

If you're not familiar with his charitible works, you may be surprised to hear that he's helped raised funds for Donors Choose, the Yellow Ribbon Fund, the US Speedskating team, and others to the tune of over dollars*MILLION*. (The total is higher than from the source linked as Stephen has raised over $50K for school children this week with Jimmy Fallon.)

He's also a humanitarian - this fall he went to Congress to testify for immigrant worker's rights. The testimony started with him in the "Stephen" character, but towards the end, he was asked why he was testifying, and the real Stephen answered:

I like talking about people who don’t have any power, and it seems like one of the least powerful people in the United States are migrant workers who come in and do our work, but don’t have any rights as a result. And yet, we still ask them to come here, and at the same time, ask them to leave. And that’s an interesting contradiction to me, and um… You know, “whatsoever you did for the least of my brothers,” and these seemed like the least of my brothers, right now. A lot of people are “least brothers” right now, with the economy so hard, and I don’t want to take anyone’s hardship away from them or diminish it or anything like that. But migrant workers suffer, and have no rights. (source)

Stephen once said, "I have a wife who loves me, and I am oddly normative. I go to church. I would say that there would be plenty of Catholics in the world who would think of me as not that observant, but for the world I move in professionally, I seem monastic." (source) In the entertainment world where people are either in-your-face Athiests, born-again bible thumpers, or Scientologists, it's nice to see a Catholic comedian who admits to being Catholic and who talks about Catholicism on a regular basis.

I love Stephen, and liked his point about giving up for Lent something that is really important to you, something that would be really painful to give up.... hence, the "giving up Catholicism" bit. (Loved his crack about Unitarianism and feeling "empty.)

He was asked by one of his guests if he was Catholic (relavent to the conversation) and he replied, “As Catholic as you can be”. Or words to that effect. :slight_smile:

Is Stephen Colbert serious about leaving Catholicism?

Obvious troll is obvious.

Stephen Colbert is NEVER serious - on his show. He parodys anything and anyone and is one of the quickest witted people.
He is also VERRRRYY Catholic. He once said in an interview that he does not allow his own children to watch his show because he does not want them to ever think that he is the person he portrays on his show.

[quote="catsrus, post:10, topic:234386"]
Stephen Colbert is NEVER serious - on his show. He parodys anything and anyone ...

[/quote]

Not everything. He really is the bastion of conservative values and the epitome of all that is great in America. I mean, you can't fake guts and patriotism like that. Right?

Ha Ha - It’s great to have a Catholic comedian!

Now if he were only funny.

You know what opinions are like. :rolleyes:

He gave up Catholicism for lent? I thought for lent, he gave up being funny.

[quote="latin_rite, post:15, topic:234386"]

[/quote]

Can't give up what you don't have.

You are mistaken. He is a Catholic. Look it up.

Colbert is awesome. Those who think he is not funny don't get his dry sense of humor. I love his dry sense of humor.

I also love his patriotism.

My kids watch his show every night.

[quote="Catholic90, post:18, topic:234386"]
Colbert is awesome. Those who think he is not funny don't get his dry sense of humor. I love his dry sense of humor.

I also love his patriotism.

My kids watch his show every night.

[/quote]

I love him, too. His humor is not for everyone, and not everyone gets it, but to each his/her own. I think he is razor sharp, and love the character he has created - and the fact that Fr. James Martin is his show's "chaplain." :)

[quote="pnewton, post:17, topic:234386"]
You are mistaken. He is a Catholic. Look it up.

[/quote]

The quote I responded to was this:

[quote="latin_rite, post:15, topic:234386"]

[/quote]

My response was to the being funny part, not the Catholicism part.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.