Is Stephen Hawking an atheist?

I hope this is the right place for this thread…

I read “A Brief History of Time” in long time ago, but I have a friend who is a big fan of Stephen Hawking. I think his ideas are interesting though I don’t know if they’re right. Some of my other friends said that Hawking is an atheist, and I was wondering if this is true. The reason I’m asking is because sometimes it helps to know where a person is coming from, since beliefs can affect how we see the world, etc.

It would seem that he identifies as an agnostic.

Hawking takes an agnostic position on matters of religion,[50][51] He has repeatedly used the word ‘God’ (in metaphorical meanings)[52] to illustrate points made in his books and public speeches. His ex-wife Jane however said he was an atheist during their divorce proceedings,[53][54] Hawking has stated that he is “not religious in the normal sense” and he believes that “the universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws.”[50]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

he was quoted in The Fabric of Reality as saying “The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet”

seems fairly atheistic there.

I’ve seen other statements from him that appear to paint him as an agnostic/atheist, when he uses the word “God” he usually means it metaphorically.

coincidentally, he’s in the news today talking about aliens;

timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/space/article7107207.ece

I don’t know for sure but aren’t most scientists these days?? :confused::eek::frowning:

Actually, he's more of an agnostic...but still, what he's made of his life despite his condition gives plenty of glory to God (although he may not recognize Him)...

According to "natural law," anyone who's been burdened by a disease such as Hawking's would likely need lots of help just to do basic functions...however, his intellect mixed with that of those behind his communication system has combined where he is still able to give presentations which broaden our view of the universe and the building blocks used by that God which he might not recognize!

[quote="Sierrah, post:4, topic:196158"]
I don't know for sure but aren't most scientists these days?? :confused::eek::(

[/quote]

Most scientists are religious, or at the very least spiritual :)

One of my favorite stories tells of two men sitting on a bus. One was a young science student, the other was an old man quietly praying the Rosary. The young science student told the old man that scientific advances had supposedly meant there was no longer any need for religion. However, he got the embarrassment of his life when the old man calmly introduced himself as Louis Pasteur!

That is a great story!

I will never forget two things my high school physics teacher told me : “How can I study this universe and *not *believe in a greater power?” and “I will always doubt a scientist who doesn’t believe in God. It leads me to hypothesize that he is not a very observant man.” :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.