Is suicide unforgivable

I was watching the Movie Constantine and the main charecter had commited suicide and was dead for about five minitues before being resuitated. I got the impresion that he was Catholic from him talking about how suicide was a Mortal sin which would send you to hell. I was wondering scince he was trying to “earn” his way into heaven and not simply going to confession, is Suicide ,in the unlikely occuance that the person is resuitated, unforgivable?

Montie,

I take it you mean “resuscitate”?

Look at the Catechism, paragraphs 2280-2283. That should tell you what you need to know.

Many people who commit suicide are mentally ill, which affects their culpability. God alone knows whether any suicide is going to hell or not.

If a person was resuscitated from a suicide attempt; saw the error of what they had tried to do; repented and made a sincere confession; then of course that person would be forgiven.

This wont answer your question, but, in a review I typed up, this is what I had to say concerning that part: As far as doctrine, this is what this movie teaches: Gabriel is the bad guy who rebels against God, The Devil will help you, Suicide is the way to Heaven.

[quote=Sherlock]Montie,

I take it you mean “resuscitate”?

Look at the Catechism, paragraphs 2280-2283. That should tell you what you need to know.

[/quote]

Yeah “Resuscitate”. Thanks. Grade school didn’t help me much in the way of spelling.

Thanks I will look it up right now.

I know you primarily were asking about the Church’s policy on suicide, but i just wanted to say that Constantine is a TERRIBLE movie for taking pointers on Catholicism from. There is a very funny review at decentfilms.com spelling out most of the heinousness that is that flick. Most notably, you cannot earn your way into heaven no matter how many good works you do if you do not repent of a mortal sin. Johnny Constantine seemed anything but penitent. Furthermore he did these “good deeds” with an attitude of resentment toward God. Anyhow, i hope the catechism helps you with your question on suicide. :slight_smile:

Its hard, because after the sin “suicide” you can’t repent because you are dead :eek:

Evanescence

never saw the movie and have no plans to, but there is no unforgivable sin, except to deny and reject God’s love and mercy.

isn’t there an unforgivable sin? to blaspheme the holy spirit :eek: ?

Evanescence

Montie Claunch:

That film got a Limited Adult Audiences rating from the USCCB. I would not take anything too seriously in that film. But, as for the question of suicide:

**2281 **Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.-CCC

**2282 **If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.-CCC

**2325 **Suicide is seriously contrary to justice, hope, and charity. It is forbidden by the fifth commandment.-CCC

**2326 **Scandal is a grave offense when by deed or omission it deliberately leads others to sin gravely.-CCC

Source: Catechism of the Catholic Church

It is possible that a person who committed suicide may be saved if the person had grave disturbance and possibly before the person died he might have been able to repent. (See CCC 2282)

[quote=Evanescence]isn’t there an unforgivable sin? to blaspheme the holy spirit :eek: ?

Evanescence
[/quote]

**1864 **“Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.-CCC

**Blasphemy of the Spirit = The refusal of accepting the Holy Spirit’s guidance to repent one’s sins before death. It is also the rejection of forgiveness of a sin before death. **

[quote=puzzleannie]… there is no unforgivable sin, except to deny and reject God’s love and mercy.
[/quote]

comforting

… there is no unforgivable sin, except to deny and reject God’s love and mercy.

I don’t think that sin is unforgiveable, because i’m suire most of us fell short from the glory of God, that sin can be forgiven by turning from ones ways and accepting God’s love and mercy.

Evanescence

**1864 **

“Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.-CCC

**Blasphemy of the Spirit = The refusal of accepting the Holy Spirit’s guidance to repent one’s sins before death. It is also the rejection of forgiveness of a sin before death. **

at that time when Jesus said that, people were accusing his works of removing demons to be the work of the devil and not of god. Couldn’t that be the meaning of “blaspheming the holy spirit”? saying that his works are not from God but from Satan?

Evanescence

Why don’t you just write out CCC 2283 here. That should clear it up.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

Time after time after time, Jesus points out exactly what is necessary to obtain forgivesness. In order to obtain forgiveness, one must practice forgiveness.

Even in the Lord’s prayer we recognize that we are forgiven in the same manner as we forgive others.

Regarding “Blaspheming the Holy Spirit.” Jesus made the statement that those who do so “can never be forgiven and carry the sin without end.” This was said in regard to those who looked at Jesus and said “He is possessed by an evil spirit.”

In seeing evil in the person of Jesus they are showing, not only that they are totally out of touch with reality, but they are condemning those that find good in Jesus. Thus they earn God’s condemnation. Their only hope will be to realize and acknowledge that, in fact, Jesus was the Promised One of their faith.

Getting back to your original post, every suicide is a great tragedy. A person caught up in difficult circumstances, failing, for a moment at least, to find enough good in living. We should not think at all that somehow, by taking that step, they have somehow committed a crime greater than anything most of us could ever imagine. In fact, they are not at all different from the rest of us. We will all meet some kind of end. Whatever that end, our ability to obtain forgiveness will depend on how well we have practiced forgiveness during our lives.

peace

-Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.