Is Sunday shopping a sin?

A discussion came up in our prayer group last night after the rosary was recited. Some seemed pretty adamant that shopping on Sunday was a sin. What do you think?

Personally, I think Christians should set an example to keep holy the Lord’s Day and to avoid shopping, if possible, but I don’t think we should be scrupulous about it. While it should be discouraged isn’t it rather pushing the point to label it a sin?

[quote=Rosalinda]A discussion came up in our prayer group last night after the rosary was recited. Some seemed pretty adamant that shopping on Sunday was a sin. What do you think?

[/quote]

Before Vatican II, I think that shopping on Sunday was a sin as was unnecssary servile work on Sunday. Whether or not it was a mortal sin depended on various factors, such as the amount of time spent for the activity. However, after Vatican II, I am not sure, but it looks like the RCC may have changed its teaching on it. Here’s why I think they changed their teaching: After a recent Sunday Mass, the priest announced that he wanted to have a count of who was going to go to the parish picnic, so that if he needed more food items, he could go to the local supermarket and pick up these items for the picnic. Now there was not indication that the priest considered this to be a sin at all.

I usually avoid shopping on sunday for misc items, like cloths, but I’m less strict about food. I often run out of food on sunday (no milk/bread/etc) and won’t be able to get to the store for several days. I try to plan ahead, but I’m very absentminded :o

I think it could be a sin, because you are taking away the day of rest from the workers, but I don’t know.

I usually avoid shopping on sunday for misc items, like cloths, but I’m less strict about food. I often run out of food on sunday (no milk/bread/etc) and won’t be able to get to the store for several days. I try to plan ahead, but I’m very absentminded :o

I think it could be a sin, because you are taking away the day of rest from the workers, but I don’t know.

When I was a young back in PA, we had blue laws. Nothing was open on Sunday. It seemed normal to me then. If you ran out of something - well, too bad till Monday. Sundays were for church, family and visiting. Period.
Having worked in retail, I really longed for those old days of everything being closed on Sunday.
Now, not just Sundays is everything open, but on holidays too!
Only 15 years ago, there was a rucus in Phoenix about a particular grocery store being open on Thanksgiving. Now they’re all open and on Christmas too, along with some department stores.
If you are open, they will come.

Basically the stance that I’ve usually heard expressed is that if it’s big enough that they’re going to keep shops open just for shoppers like you, than it’s a sin. Because helping to support them on Sunday only encourages them to keep open, and so employees must work that day. For this reason I never making shopping trips on Sunday for unnecessary items. And, trust me, a store knows better than to have a major sale only on Sunday.

If however, it’s only a gallon of milk, say, I don’t think it’s a sin. Stores don’t keep open for people to by odd gallons of milk!

But I also agree that I wish shops were still closed on Sunday. I think that it would help to remind people that Sunday is a day of worship and rest! So many people seem to forget that!

I try not to shop on Sunday’s unless it is an emergency, example, child wakes up sick, needs OTC cough medicine or pain reliever. What appauled me my son in College works for a Nation-wide viedo chain…was opened on Christmas Day.:rolleyes: Explain to me why does someone even a non-Christian needs to rent a viedo on Christmas Day??? This store has a 2 to 5 day rental policy why can’t people rent the viedo on the 23 or 24 if they want to see it on the 25th???:hmmm:

Is buying a birthday present online on Sunday night to ensure Monday morning shipping a sin?

Well then, if this is true, I committed a whopper. I took my grand daughter shopping. It’s the only day I was able. I am not apologizing. And most times I don’t do unnecessary shopping. I found myself praying while she was trying things on.Does that count?? :confused:

~ Kathy ~

Most people can rationalize anything. I hate shopping, so if I go, it’s because there is no other recourse

I will be going on a week-and-a-half long vacation, and I’m wondering if it is still a sin to go shopping on Sunday. I don’t know how it can be, unless the whole day is spent in the hotel room (with the exception of Church in the morning). I’m getting a little worried about this…

Hmm… i don’t see it as a sin. Sunday is often my only day off, and I have no other choice. Luckily I no longer have to work sunday!

Thank you for your response. I knew that Sunday is a day of rest and worship, but I never knew that working or shopping on a Sunday could be a sin. I’m sure as long as it’s not an excessive amount it would be fine, right?.

The answer is in the intent…is the intent to ignore the Sabbath?

I’m not sure if the term “overly scrupulous” applies here, but if the store is open and you need to purchase something for your family, what’s the problem? You not shopping there on Sunday won’t close them down due to lack of business.

As well, and I don’t recall this being addressed, is that there people who genuinely need the work, so buying an occasional item helps keep them employed.

So is going to a movie on Sunday a sin? I am considering going to a movie with my dad this afternoon, but I’m worried it might be a sin…

Can someone PLEASE help me to understand why shopping on Sunday is a sin.
What is a sin? Isn’t sin suppose to be ‘deed that is not morally acceptable’?
I assume if shopping on Sunday is indeed a sin, same goes for any other entertainment including bowling, movie, or computer games.
How does it go against the 3rd commandment?

Please, I really need to know. I’m here to learn.

Here comes some of the Sisters’ teachings from my childhood - along with good sense and my own opinion.

Yes, **buying on Sunday is a sin **- unless it’s an emergency: For instance, you have a baby and unexpectedly ran out of milk / Pampers, etc. (not planned - but unexpected). **Working on Sunday is a sin **- unless you’re in the medical (or similar) profession and can’t get that day off - but in my opinion you should make the request first to get Sunday off, if possible. (I work in a non-medical job where I have been asked to work on Sunday. It is NOT a necessity type of work, such as medical, and if they ever fire me for it - I will have to give up the job. I realize that sounds crazy in this economy - but I always remember the words, "For what does it profit a man, if he gains the whole world, but loses his own soul?"

Ironically, the one thing I DO buy on Sundays is the Sunday paper. I don’t like doing it and wonder if that’s a sin - but when else can you get the Sunday paper? Having it delivered, you’re buying it anyway - and encouraging someone else to work delivering it. Same thing when there’s a Church sale or Feast on a Sunday. :confused: :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.