Is taking a mental health day

…from work a sin?

Serious replies only, please.

God bless,
Chayla

You mean like taking a sick day off? :confused: If you aren’t sick, you don’t need the day off. Unless you’re taking it in order to see a doctor or otherwise seek treatment.

I see no problem with it. If you need a break for your mental health, that’s an acceptable reason. I think that would fall under the category of a “personal day”, if I’m not mistaken.

Depends on how your employer words it. Some employers strictly define sick days, others treat them as “personal days” and a range of in between.

If you have to lie to your employer to get the time off then it is a sin.

Also remember you are allowed by law to take half of your annual accrual sick days as kin care days to care for sick family. So if you accrue 4 sick days per year, you can take 2 sick days for kin care. (I think this is federal law but I guess it could be California where I live)

Excellent question. I have wondered this before. I take my 2 personal days for religious reasons, and I rarely get physically sick, so I never use my sick time. I have needed “mental health” days occasionally, but refused to take them, not knowing about the morality of it.

I would say it’s ok. If you are not well emotionally or mentally that day, you need to be caring for your health- and that might mean not coming in to work that day.

Too often, I think, people think of health in the physical sense and totally discount mental health as though it were fake or not important.

This is an excellent point. That is often over looked.

This. Clearly stress-related issues are both recognized mental health concerns, as well as stress affecting physical health. I don’t see a moral problem with taking a “sick day” if one is truly feeling overwhelmed and unable to cope effectively with work that day. That scenario, however, is very different from taking a “mental health day” as a sick day and then ending up at the ballpark.

It depends. If by mental health you mean you really need to go to a therapist or you are dealing with a life issue that is important then sure. But in my circle, “mental health day” means that there was a foot of powder on the mountain after a big snowstorm.:rolleyes: That is a “vacation day” or a “personal day”

As an employer I would think taking too many “mental health days” would reflect on your reputation and job.

There are lots of days anyone could declare that they don’t want to be at work “mentally” But they go anyway.

I agree with this. I think it is ok to do, provided you do not make it a habit.

OP: I would recommend talking to your confessor. I think it can depend on how your work has worded their “sick time” clause. Usually your employer will tell you what they consider approved reasons, in an employee handbook.

Evidently it depends on the state you live in and the company you work for. My wife broke both of her shoulders and actually had one replaced. So as you could do “nothing” on her own. I had to take a weeks vacation and then apply for FMLA (family medical leave act) for the next week or so. The forms for the FMLA were so convoluted that the doctors couldn’t fill them out properly. It was a real hassle.:eek:

Well, as other posters have said, it depends. If you are taking time off for counseling, of course that’s ok. If you have a very stressful job and you are taking a day off to cope, well maybe it’s ok. If all you’re doing is taking a day off because you’re sick of working, then no, it’s not ok.

I have worked as a nursing supervisor for many years, and there have been times when I have sent overly stressed individuals home from work to take a mental health day. Individuals who are overly stressed have a high potential to make mistakes, and those mistakes can very negatively impact those they provide service to, their fellow employees, and themselves.

I have a nurse friend who a number of years back came to work in a very stressed state because she felt guilty taking a mental health day. We worked together in the ER and this nurse was a very high preformer, but I could see she was struggling with her work that day. A few hours into the shift she sustained an accidental needle stick from an HIV infected patient. This accident became a nightmare for her as she had to start taking copious amounts of antiviral medications daily, and months and months of follow up testing to check to see if she had contracted this deadly disease which thank God she didn’t. My friend came pretty close to having a nervous breakdown from this experience, and had she taken that mental health day which she really needed all this could have been avoided.

For high stress life and death jobs you make a very good point. But are there people who do not take mental health days at that job? And if one had to be sent home several times wouldn’t that reflect on the employee? I would feel allot better knowing that the person caring for me medically was not in the habit of needing to be sent home for mental health issues.:eek:

Nursing is a high stress job, I have no problem with the idea that my nurse needs a couple of mental health days a year, so long as she/he actually gets them. Why should it be at all problematic that someone in a high-stress environment with long and inconveniant shifts should need a few more days off each year to recharge than someone with a mon-fri 8-5 job?

As long as you are not abusive, and really feel a need to have a day off (not to go shopping or something frivolous) but to mentally recuperate, I wouldn’t be overly concerned about it. I tend not to do it but some days you might just need it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.