Is taking a taxi to a Bible study on Sunday a mortal sin, seeing as your making the taxi driver work on Sunday

I have a Bible study on Sunday evening but it’s a 1 1/2 hour walk from my house and it’s winter/really snowy/really cold here in Canada right now so today I took a taxi. Is this sinful?

No.

Anyway, the driver’s Holy Day could be Friday or Saturday.

BTW I didn’t know they had taxis in Saskatchewan:p

Why is it not a mortal sin?

You’d be surprised what they have in Saskatchewan. :cool:

Is it grave matter?

OK - you are not requiring an employee of yours to do non-essential work.

You make a phone call, and someone chooses to pick you up in their taxi.

That person could be Moslem (Friday is the Holy Day), Seventh Day Adventist (Saturday) , Jewish (Saturday), or an Atheist.

If you ran a Catholic Taxi service and made employees work on Sunday then it could be grave matter.

But I did employ him. By hiring the company to drive me somewhere. The driver I had is Sikh, though I didn’t realize the religion of the person working for us matters in this matter. I thought we are supposed to not be the cause of anyone doing servile work, like driving me around for pay, on a Sunday. I thought this is why we aren’t supposed to shop on Sundays.

From the Catechism:

CCC2187 …Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure.

A taxi is public service, like a bus, airplane, etc.

It is not a sin to take public means of transportation. You could take a taxi to Mass if you needed to.

If you conscience bothers you, then see if in the future you can make other arrangements like having a fellow bible study member pick you up.

The driver may have been very grateful for the work.

It is allowed for Catholics to have recreation on Sunday, to attend a program like a Bible study, to visit and care for the elderly, sick, or others who may need work done, even to do our own necessary work.

You called a cab because walking 1 1/2 hours in the snow/cold is not at all a good idea. You were attending a permissible activity. If you have no other transportation options (go with a friend or drive your own car), then taking a cab (or bus, etc.) is what you need to do.

The cab driver has his own responsibilities to either figure out a way to avoid work if Sunday is a day of rest for him, or to be thankful for necessary employment even if that means he works on his holy day.

The driver was working anyway. You did not make him work. If he hadn’t taken you, he would have been transporting someone else (or losing money by being idle).

I don’t think you have sinned at all, let alone mortally. This is not grave matter. However, if it bothers you to get a cab, see if you can arrange a ride with someone from your class.

No.

Our Lord said that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Have a nice conversation about this with your priest and be careful not to get into scrupulosity. Walking an hour and a half in the cold dark Canadian night sounds imprudent and unsafe. Pick a cab with a good heater. Bring a friend.:o

Whether Sunday was a holy day for the driver or not, he was already at work, so did not cause him to perform work on his holy day. And some occupations require that shifts be covered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The taxi driver knew that when he took the job. And like someone else said, his holy day may be another day. Go to your study in good conscience.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.