Is taking adderall a sin?

Is it?

why do you think it would be a sin to take medicine?

Might be considered cheating or something.

I think you need some help from a priest.

I know.

Were you precsribed adderall or are you just taking it? Abusing it for a high would be a sin.

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was around 10 or so. I took it for a while, but I haven’t taken it in a few years. I think I want to start taking it again.

Cheating concentration so you can make a living? do well in school? listen to someone else?

It is hard enough to have attention deficit, and that life is a challenge. How could it be cheating?

Does a diabetic taking insulin also include cheating?

I hope my frankness is not offensive to you but some can focus up to a point and others just cannot, and the frustration of trying to focus is impossible. Especially if life gets too crazy and it is compounded by other things.

We all have to learn how to cope with mechanisms…sometimes that just isn’t enough.

There is nothing wrong with taking medicine you need. I take anti-anxiety medicine because I have anxiety issues and panic attacks. There is nothing sinful about medicine, unless it is abused.

Now common sense tells us, there’s A LOT of people out there sinning. Even more if we add taking medication (not for “recreational” purposes mind you, I know nothing about that) to it.

I am on and off anxiety medication (it’s as needed) for PSTD. My priest, my psychologist and my family doctor know this.

If ou found the medication helped, speak with your doctor see what they have to say before just starting up again.

I wish you the best and the peace of The Lord.

Is taking Metoprolol a sin? Well…is it?

Then you need to see your doctor, who will determine if that medicine is still appropriate for your needs or if another medication is better suited to your current issues.

this is a difficult one, I know people who use adderall while in school to help them concentrate and complete work

its not a recreational drug someone does to “get high” or any feelings of highness

the problem is you can become dependent on this drug for you will notice that its much harder to concentrate while not on it and this can lead to abuse and even illegal ways of obtaining this drug as well as contributing to others in selling this stuff

I know some people who can take it and be fine , and ive seen people use it and go overboard

you probably could ask any priest and they would tell you to stay away, I would urge you to not take adderall although i think it depends on many factors whether its a sin

Coffee is my drug and I know its no adderall but its good enough for me

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air. (1809)

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

This is what the Catechism of the Catholic Church has to say. If you feel or it it IS an abuse that you really don’t need it then yes it is the same sin as abusing heroin. But there is a therapeutic good to taking it if you need it.

I wouldn’t worry so much about it being considered cheating…but if you can go without it I would highly recommend it. Speaking from experience…please be VERY cautious with this medication. I was on it, had friends who were on it and would never recommend anyone use it…There are many side effects and it is highly addictive. I will not go into my personal story here, but if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Good luck and God bless :slight_smile:

“The same as abusing heroin?” Seriously?

Are you having problems in school to the point where this is needed? You should discuss this with your Dr. and see since you are now older if this is the right medicine for you, there are other choices which you can look into. You need to realize that if someone can’t walk, they need a wheel chair to get around and using a wheel chair is not cheating. I wish you well.

Not the same as heroin, more like using cocaine or methamphetamine (Adderall is a mixture of chemicals rather similar to methamphetamine). To describe the effects: stronger better harder faster stronger. It dramatically boosts concentration and stamina which makes it extremely abused at prep school because it can help turn C+ students into A- students. If you take this drug do not ever ever ever give this to anyone even to friends who just need an edge on a test.

I want to start taking it again because I think it would help me in school. I could get along alright without it, but I’ve found it somewhat difficult to concentrate in class and during studying.

Look, I almost failed out of nursing school because I had such difficulty concentrating and staying on task. When I was given Adderall for the first time, I was told to take it no later than 4pm or I would be up all night. Well, being ADD, I forgot and figured it wouldn’t hurt any to take it at 7pm because I had to study anyway. For the first time in my life, I fell asleep on my books. So it’s no surprise that 5-hou energy does not, in fact, give me energy. And drinking a mug of coffee will make me sleepy.

Medications for ADD/ADHD do not affect everyone the same. Despite them being stimulants, for some people they have a calming affect which enables one to focus their attention. Without Adderall, I have a hard time reading a paragraph if there is the slightest distraction around. I could read the same paragraph over and over and not absorb any of it.

If adderall (or whatever ADD/ADHD medication your physician prescribes) helps you to focus your attention on your homework, or keeps you organized at work, then no, there is no ‘sin’ in taking it. Be sure you utilize your other organizational tools that help those with ADD/ADHD as well. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.