Is tanning considered apart of the plastic surgery

I was wondering if going to tanning beds considered as bad as surgery. My friend said it was Bc you are burning Ur body to make it darker and ultimately hurting it in the long run to look more attractive. Is this true? But also I go to a safer tanning bed but you never know.

There is no such thing as a “safe” tanning bed. You’re still exposing yourself to the same type of rays that lead to skin cancer.

Would u agree with my friend Patrick?

Explain your understanding of Plastic Surgery in your initial posting…

Is tanning considered apart? of the Plastic Surgery?

What does this mean.

Next when you say tanning is as bad as surgery, how is it you equate surgery to being bad?

No, because I don’t believe all plastic surgery is bad. Tanning beds are not plastic surgery, but they are bad because they can lead to skin cancer.

This thread is obviously a joke and not an amusing one at that.

[quote="eleazar622, post:1, topic:327684"]
I was wondering if going to tanning beds considered as bad as surgery. My friend said it was Bc you are burning Ur body to make it darker and ultimately hurting it in the long run to look more attractive. Is this true? But also I go to a safer tanning bed but you never know.

[/quote]

What does this have to do with Eastern Catholicism?
"Plastic surgery", more appropriately known as reconstructive surgery, isn't bad in all cases. Would you consider a burn victim or someone disfigured by an accident or even a congenital defect doing something wrong to surgically correct their situation? How about a women getting reconstructive surgery after a double-mastectomy?

Are you using the tanning bed at the advisement of your physician to treat a skin disorder or because you want to bronze yourself?

Your thoughts on that might help us to see where you're coming from with this and what you perceive the issue of being "bad" to be.

Bronze self

I’m sorry for the post on where it’s at ill delete it shortly and one guys reply was rude…

Well, my personal take is that you can get yourself a healthy glow (lightly tanned skin) by being outdoors and using some sunscreen- doing yard work, sports, etc, instead of subjecting yourself to the more intense ultraviolet exposure (that increases your chances of skin cancer) in the tanning beds. But that’s just my :twocents:. :slight_smile:

Don’t know if you can delete it (you can message the moderator and ask that it be removed) and you can also edit your question and thread title for clarity and repost it in the moral theology section. You might get some more replies there. :slight_smile:

[quote="eleazar622, post:9, topic:327684"]
I'm sorry for the post on where it's at ill delete it shortly and one guys reply was rude...

[/quote]

Don't delete it just because of one post.

I would imagine that tanning can be done responsibly, and I really don't see the harm if that is the case. You all need to lighten the heck up, you're going to make yourselves sick from scruples.

Where did you get the idea that plastic surgery is a sin??

[quote="VeritasLuxMea, post:13, topic:327684"]
I would imagine that tanning can be done responsibly, and I really don't see the harm if that is the case. You all need to lighten the heck up, you're going to make yourselves sick from scruples.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I think it depends on whether tanning is also fun…because anything fun is usually sinful too. :wink:

On a serious note, some tanning is perfectly acceptable; it’s a natural bodily reaction to sun/UV exposure. But UV exposure is also dangerous, and since tanning beds are designed to give you pretty extreme doses of it, the best medical advice is to give them a miss. Some moderate sun exposure is sufficient for a “healthy” tan, as well as important for vitamin D.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.