Is Thanksgiving a Holy Day of Obligation in the US?

The person in my parish who schedules readers told me it was, (she asked me to read that day) but I didn’t see anything about it on the USCCB site or on my diocese site.

I checked our parish calendar, for the archdiocese in which I live (Atlanta) and it is not a Holy Day of Obligation on our calendar.

I don’t ever remembering it being a Holy Day, when I lived in Los Angeles, either. :shrug:

Maybe call your Archdiocese, to find out for sure.

No, it isn’t. Unless your local bishop decided to make it one, and that’s very unlikely.

As has been said, it’s not a Holy Day of Obligation in the United States.

I’m guessing that your lector’s workbook has readings for Sundays, Holy Days of Obligation, and also for Thanksgiving so she is thinking of Thanksgiving like it’s a Holy Day of Obligation.

Thanksgiving is like a Holy Day in that there are three readings on that day instead of the usual two for other weekdays.

I don’t think it’s a holy day of obligation… Because there is no thanksgiving day in other countries. :grin::smiley: from what I know for something to be a holy day of obligation it has to be celebrated within the universal church in all parts of the globe and it always has do with either feast of Mary or God with the exception of All Souls Day which is also a holy day of obligation

Actually, no, Holy Days of Obligation are not universal.

For instance, in the USA, the Immaculate Conception is a HDO, because Our Lady under that title is one of the USA’s patrons. But it is not a HDO in the UK. Neither is All Souls Day.

She isnt the patron usa. The church ,catholic church, has the same holy day of obligation everywhere. Its the church that made it. There are 10 holy days of obligation. Here’s a link :smiley:

catholicism.about.com/od/holydaysandholidays/tp/Holy-Days-Of-Obligation.htm

I used to live in India. Now I live in Australia. The days of Obligation are definitely different.

It really should be the same because it is only one church especially the immaculate conception. Because the rule in some feasts is if it falls on Monday or Saturday it can be abrogated EXCEPT the immaculate conception on Dec 8. That one is always a holy day of obligation because Mary is the mother of God and that feast has a very important role in salvation.

Though I stand corrected in all souls day, I meant to say all saints day. …lol. I always get the 2 confuse in conversations…:smiley:

Aren’t the only two days of obligation that might not necessarily fall on a Sunday December 25 and January 1? The rest of the important feast days are often celebrated on Sundays as external solemnities.

In the link you provided, Marianne, note this:

The following list includes all ten of the Holy Days of Obligation prescribed for the Latin Rite. In certain countries, the bishops’ conference may have reduced the number of Holy Days of Obligation, usually by transferring the celebration of a feast such as Epiphany, Ascension, or Corpus Christi to the nearest Sunday, or in some cases, as in the Solemnities of Saint Joseph and of Saints Peter and Paul, by removing the obligation altogether. Thus some lists of Holy Days of Obligation for particular countries may include fewer than ten Holy Days of Obligation.

The actual obligations are not the same in many countries. I currently live in two different countries and have copied from the church documents in each what my obligations are when I am in each country.

Exactly. There are 10 universal Holy Days of Obligation.

In Canada, only two of them are observed as such: Christmas and the Feast of Mary, Mother of God on January 1.

St. Joseph, St. Peter & St. Paul, Assumption of Mary, All Saints and Immaculate Conception have been abrogated. The Feasts/Solemnities are observed on the actual date but the ‘obligation’ has been removed.

Epiphany, Ascension and Corpus Christi have been moved to Sunday.

Why would Thanksgiving Day (a get together celebration by native Americans and Protestants) be a Catholic Holy Day of Obligation?

Exactly. People can forget that Thanksgiving is a national holiday, not a Catholic holy day. Even atheists celebrate it and can be thankful. But it is no more a Holy Day than the Fourth of July.

Thanksgiving has nothing to do with Catholicism. No bishop would make it a Holy Day of Obligation. I would be up-in-arms if my bishop made it a Holy Day of Obligation.

In the United States, there are only six Holy Days of Obligation. They are:

The Solemnity of Mary, Holy Mother of God
The Ascension of the Lord
The Assumption of Mary
All Saints Day
The Immaculate Conception
Christmas Day

No ifs, ands, or buts!

God bless, and Happy Thanksgiving!

What would it be? The Immaculate Consumption?

Thanksgiving is a historical, national holiday. It would not be made into a Holy Day.

W have only four in England and Wales.

Christmas, SS. Peter and Paul on June 29th, the Assumption and All Saints.

First of all, this is a five-year old thread that was awakened for no apparent reason.

Second, the Church has a list of ten solemnities that is, in a sense, a pool from which the bishops’ conference in each country chooses which days are to be classified as HOD. In no country are all ten days HOD; bishops choose the days and receive approval from the Holy See. Typically its is only two or so days; the US has an unusually high number.

The first sentence of the OP is incorrect; the Immaculate Conception is indeed the patroness of the US, and her feast day is a day of obligation in the US because of that.

This is, of course, only your opinion. Evidently the Church sees it differently.

Not exactly. The feast is generally a HOD because it is our national patroness, rather than it simply being one of Our Lady’s great solemnities. It is true that because it is our national patroness, when it falls on a Monday or Saturday, the obligation is not abrogated, as it is with certain other feasts. However, the feast is not a day of obligation in the US this year, because it falls on a Sunday of Advent. The feast is transferred to the next day, but the obligation does not transfer. I do not like this arrangement, but that is how it works.

No, in the US, All Saints Day (1 Nov), Assumption (15 Aug) are observed on whichever day of the week they fall. If they fall on a Saturday or Monday, the obligation is abrogated, but the feasts are still observed on the day itself. Ascension Day is observed on its actual day in a number of U.S. dioceses, mostly in the northeast and in Nebraska; otherwise, it is transferred to the Sunday following.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.