Is the band At the Gates bad?

Hello everyone!

I have a friend who likes the band At the Gates. He asked me to post a question asking if any of you know if the band is good or bad to listen to. He has suspected that they are satanic or anti-Christian. I personally don't know them so I need your help!

Thank you for your answers :)

God bless,
Alex

my personal opion all death metal sounds satanic too me but idk if they are or not i tried looking online but no answers i could find maybe someone else will be lucky

I’ve listened to them. Their older material did have a Satanic bent to it (one song was called “R***d by the Light of Christ”.) By the time they came out with their classic album Slaughter of the Soul they were more nihilistic and philosophical/existential in their lyrics.

Excuse the creepiness everyone. Nothing to see here, move along :rolleyes:

I don’t know that you’ll find many At the Gates afficianados here on CAF. :stuck_out_tongue: Even those of us here who are metalheads tend to shy away from the death metal stuff. Not that I can speak for everyone in that regard, but I have seen such comments made before (and that’s how I feel about it).

In general, many metal bands seem to thrive on utilizing provocative images that sound worse than they really are. Not that there aren’t some severely anti-Christian metal bands out there (particularly in Scandanavia) – there definitely are. But many bands simply employ dark imagery as part of their schtick.

Though I would not necessarily presume a band was anti-Christian without them explicitly saying so, if listening to the music raises those sorts of alarm bells in your friend’s mind, it might be better for him to stay away from it. There are some bands I stay away from for that reason. Not that those bands are satanic or that it’s inherently sinful to listen to them, but if listening to a band leaves me feeling spiritually unsettled, I stay away.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:4, topic:245323"]
I don't know that you'll find many At the Gates afficianados here on CAF. :p Even those of us here who are metalheads tend to shy away from the death metal stuff. Not that I can speak for everyone in that regard, but I have seen such comments made before (and that's how I feel about it).

In general, many metal bands seem to thrive on utilizing provocative images that sound worse than they really are. Not that there aren't some severely anti-Christian metal bands out there (particularly in Scandanavia) -- there definitely are. But many bands simply employ dark imagery as part of their schtick.

Though I would not necessarily presume a band was anti-Christian without them explicitly saying so, if listening to the music raises those sorts of alarm bells in your friend's mind, it might be better for him to stay away from it. There are some bands I stay away from for that reason. Not that those bands are satanic or that it's inherently sinful to listen to them, but if listening to a band leaves me feeling spiritually unsettled, I stay away.

[/quote]

I'm a metalhead myself and it seems many on this board listen to Mallcore or Nu-metal. What ever happened to metal elitism?

I like metal,like Sonata Arctica,Judas Priest,Iron Maiden and others.

[quote="Fluffyfox, post:5, topic:245323"]
I'm a metalhead myself and it seems many on this board listen to Mallcore or Nu-metal. What ever happened to metal elitism?

[/quote]

My tendency to mentally gloss over music that does not interest me has probably prevented me from noticing such things. :D

I'm a huge Sonata Arctica fan! They are one of my favorite power metal bands from the past 10 years.

I do try not to be elitist about it, though. :p I have always found it ironic that, in a musical genre that often encourages rebellion, there are often such stringent guidelines on what has earned the right to use the label of "metal". "Conform to our non-conformity or you're outta the family!" :)

I do share your aversion to Nu metal and the various -core subgenres. Not sure who thought that was a good idea. :shrug:

Me either,i remember during the 80’s early 90’s when metal bands could actually sing,and not growl or scream. I miss the 80’s early 90’s.

[quote="Fluffyfox, post:5, topic:245323"]

[/quote]

I started off with metalcore, actually. But I eventually progressed into classical music, chant, and folk, avant garde, black, and death metal, and industrial. I prefer musicians who use their instruments as tools to create a soundscape, instead of just for the sake of chugga waaahn bre a a aa aaak dowwwwn.

Yeah,back when i was younger metal meant stuff like Ozzy Osbourne,Black Sabbath,Iron Maiden,Judas Priest,Metallica,Megadeth,Pantera,not the screamo/death metal stuff that is played at Hot Topic. Get off my lawn you kids.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.