Is the Bible a Hotline to God?

Indeed. It never hurts to speak to the author.

My old protestant pastor said that this is not always recommended and gave the following verses to illustrate what me meant:

Matthew 27:5 “Throwing down the pieces of silver in the temple, he departed: and he went and hanged himself.”

Luke 10:37b "Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

On the other hand Jer 33:3 is God´s telephone number according to one priest I met. “Call to me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.” :sweat_smile:

Are you divination as well? @discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

Can anyone help me out on my above posts?

There are times when I have a passage of Scripture come to mind and I will sit down to read it. That may be the prompting of the Holy Spirit or simply the prompting of my own memory, either way, Scripture is important.

Let us go with the scientific method on this one. If you have a question in mind and randomly open the Bible, you will ‘get’ some sort of answer. If 60 seconds later, you still have the same question in mind, you open the Bible, you will now ‘get’ a very different answer. So no, it doesn’t work. The Bible is not meant for random play.

Indeed. We should never rule out the work of the Holy Spirit.

That puts a very interesting spin on the topic.

Went on a Catholic teen encounter weekend retreat that revolutionized my faith and life. The day I got home I didn’t know whether read in the OT or NT so I just flipped it open. It opened to Psalm 22, which is an incredible psalm prophetic of Jesus’ death. I knew God did that for me. Now I study & read systematically, yet I can also just flip it open and sometimes I get something special. You can count on getting something good no matter how you open it. But of course the Pharisees knew their bible, yet hated Jesus - so no it is not magic.

If it’s a hotline, then it is a “transmit only” circuit.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.