Is the Bible a Supernatural Book?

Question for ALL Protestants.
If the Bible is the sole rule of faith, does that make the Bible a supernatural book that needs no authority for interpretation?

OK, here’s my two cents. God’s promises contained in the bible are sufficient to save all men. Thus it is a supernatural book. If one receives, then you have gotten it right. However I will admit that many misuse it which is why it is filled with warnings about false teachers.

OK, here’s my two cents. God’s promises contained in the bible are sufficient to save all men. Thus it is a supernatural book. If one receives, then you have gotten it right. However I will admit that many misuse it which is why it is filled with warnings about false teachers.

A question for all protestants? I was a Methodist for 60 years, and never believed that the Bible was the sole rule of faith.

This certainly raises big issues. Catholicism however sees both Scripture and unwritten divine tradition, as well as the teaching of the Church which stem from these, as the rule of faith. There is an article in the “Catholic Encyclopedia” that discusses this and the issues involved in detail, at www.newadvent.org/cathen/05766b.htm
If Scripture is the only rule of faith, what did the earliest Christians have before there was a New Testament?

The Bible is a supernatural book. As to the matter of authority, there is authority placed within the church according to the Holy Scriptures. Apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers have responsibilities for equipping the saints for the work of the ministry.

The Westminster Confession of Faith describes such authority:

Chapter XXX

Of Church Censures

I. The Lord Jesus, as king and head of His Church, has therein appointed a government, in the hand of Church officers, distinct from the civil magistrate.[1]

II. To these officers the keys of the kingdom of heaven are committed; by virtue whereof, they have power, respectively, to retain, and remit sins; to shut that kingdom against the impenitent, both by the Word, and censures; and to open it unto penitent sinners, by the ministry of the Gospel; and by absolution from censures, as occasion shall require.[2]

III. Church censures are necessary, for the reclaiming and gaining of offending brethres, for deterring of others from the like offenses, for purging out of that leaven which might infect the whole lump, for vindicating the honor of Christ, and the holy profession of the Gospel, and for preventing the wrath of God, which might justly fall upon the Church, if they should suffer His covenant, and the seals thereof, to be profaned by notorious and obstinate offenders.[3]

IV. For the better attaining of these ends, the officers of the Church are to proceed by admonition; suspension from the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper for a season; and by excommunication from the Church; according to the nature of the crime, and demerit of the person.[4]

How do you define supernatural?

:thumbsup:

Like captainrick, I never believed this as a Protestant (Anglican). For sure, we believed the bible was divinely inspired, but not supernatural. The wide range of interpretaions of Scripture within the C of E point towards the need for an authority, if anything!

Pax et bonum
Mokocchi

According to the Merriam- Webster dictionary:
Full Definition of SUPERNATURAL

: of or relating to an order of existence beyond the visible observable universe; especially : of or relating to God or a god, demigod, spirit, or devil
a : departing from what is usual or normal especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature.

Does the Bible itself have power and authority?

If I’m understanding you, I would say yes.

As Holy Scripture is the Word of God, his promises given to us in words are efficacious.

For example: “This is my body” means what is says, and those words said by a priest indicate what has been done by God.

The way you phrase the question sounds strange, as if the Bible has some sort of superpower. So no, I do not think that. I do not believe the bible is God, I do believe it is divinely inspired.

Thanks. If the Bible is inspired by God I would see it as supernatural.
But what had power and authority before the Bible?
I would say the Church started by Jesus Christ. So I don’t see the Bible as having the ultimate power and authority.

Yes. Of course it’s supernatural. I have read passages that have brought me to tears and I’m a pretty tough guy :p.

Note: The Bible, being the Word of God, is authoritatively. However, the Bible cannot exert authority. That is what the Body of Christ is for.

:thumbsup:

Why would you say that because it is supernatural it needs no interpretive authority. The bible says it is supernatural 1Tim.3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: and it’s interpretive authority is the Holy Spirit. 2Peter1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

The Old Testament.

What does “sole rule of faith” mean?

From JustaServant:

According to the Merriam- Webster dictionary:
Full Definition of SUPERNATURAL

Quote:
Of or relating to an order of existence beyond the visible observable universe; especially : of or relating to God or a god, demigod, spirit, or devil

Good Evening JustaServant: I have seen bibles more than I have seen any other book. Therefore I would offer the idea that they are not something beyond the observable universe.

a : departing from what is usual or normal especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature.

The Bible does not appear to me to transcend the natural world. It is a book insofar as I can see. Can you help me to understand what is supernatural about the bible?

All the best,
Gary

You don’t think the Bible was inspired by God?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.