Is the Bible as important as the Eucharist?

“**For this reason, the Church has always venerated the Scriptures as she venerates the Lord’s Body. She never ceases to present to the faithful the bread of life, taken from the one table of God’s Word and Christ’s Body.” **~ CCC 103 (quoting Dei Verbum)

I’ve always struggled to understand this paragraph in the Catechism. I mean, it’s not like we genuflect when we approach a Bible, and yet we do do that in church. How am I to make sense of this?

And also, a follow-up question: Are the two “parts” of the Mass (Liturgy of the Word and Liturgy of the Eucharist) equally important? I’m guessing not, because the consecration is obviously the climax of the Mass. But why is that the case if the Scriptures are just as much the Word of God as the Eucharist?

Yes, though it is the words in the Bible not the physical book that is important. Remember John 1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

It seems to me we don’t just venerate the Lord’s body. We worship it. If you were going to use more technical terms it would be we have dulia for Holy Scripture and latria for the Lord’s body that is the Eucharist. So this passage that says we venerate both is true, but for the Lord’s body we have something even greater. So we may kiss Holy Scripture but we fall on our knees for the Eucharist.

I would think the Liturgy of the Eucharist is more important in some sense. It is more essential to the Mass. I say that because you can have a communion service which can have most all of the same elements of the Mass other than the consecration and offering of sacrifice. So these missing elements are what are essential to the Mass.

Those are my thoughts but it will be interesting to see what someone with more learning in this area says.

The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is that which is above all other considerations - in its importance that is.
paduard

the Church has always venerated the Scriptures as she venerates the Lord’s Body

This quote can be a little ambiguous, depending on how you read it. We can venerate the scripture AS we venerate the Lord’s body. This can mean we do it in the same way, but in different intensities. Or it can mean they have the same amount and “flavor” of veneration, but only the Lord’s body also receives adoration on top of that.

It’s a tricky question though, and we probably shouldn’t get into mental twisters such as “which is more holy of these two very holy things?” The Eucharist is Christ, and Christ is God. The Bible is the Word of God, and the Word of God is Christ, and Christ is God. However, the Bible is not God. But the Word of God IS God! The Bible, as we think of it, is a book made of paper and ink. Is the Word of God paper and ink? It’s a living Word, but in an inanimate “dead” pile of paper. What is a “Word” anyways? It’s more than just a combination of letters on paper – it is a meaning, an intention, a message.

Anyways…like I said. Probably more tricky than I’d prefer. :slight_smile:

No. The Bible is not as important as the Eucharist. One can live a proper Christian life should Bibles not be available for reading, but one cannot live a full Christian life without Sacraments, especially Eucharist.

We do venerate the Blessed Sacrament, just as we venerate the Blessed Virgin, and the Scriptures, BUT, we also adore and worship our Lord’s presence in the Host. We do not adore or worship Mary or the Bible. Adoration and worship is reserved for God alone.

No, the Bible is the word of God written down for us, the Eucharist is the word of God made flesh, it is Jesus Himself. Nothing is as important as God.

The Eucharist is the source and summit of our faith
1324 , 1407

We go to mass to receive Jesus in the Eucharist. The source and summit of our faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.