Is the Blessed Virgin Mary your Mother?

When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he said to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. After that, he said to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own.
-John 19:26-27

In the Gospel according to St. John this disciple is unnamed is because…

THAT DISCIPLE IS YOU

The Blessed Virgin Mary is more your Mother than even your maternal one!

The mere fact that it is recorded in the Holy Bible that Jesus gave us His mother, at the most powerful moment in Jesus’ triumph over the Devil, can only be something perpetual, not just some temporal thing. If it truly was just temporal, why did the Holy Spirit instruct St. John to insert it there? Do you really think that would make sense on God’s part?

God said to honor our parents [the Hebrew actually says to glorify them]: How much more shall we honor and glorify the one who bore us Jesus? If we, as Christians, strive to be more Christ-like, we must be obedient to the Blessed Virgin Mary just as Jesus was obedient.

I]Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. And his mother treasured all these things in her heart.
-Luke 2:51

Furthermore, the timing of Jesus’ decision to give us His mother is no coincidence; it was only at the utter peak of His Glory during the Passion that He gave us this wonderful gift of His mother.

Why would you throw away a gift from Jesus?

Because He hath regarded the humility of his handmaid: for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
-Luke 1:48

How have you fulfilled this? If you really believed in the Word of God you would be blessing the name of Mary unceasingly for she is the one who said “YES” to the Holy Spirit and bore the One who would bring us eternal salvation!

Unless you are a Calvinist [they believe in Hard Predestination], you believe that God gave each and everyone of us Free Will and God loves us so much that He will not impose Himself upon us, even if that means we choose reject Him. Mary was given that SAME gift of free will too! She could have declined to be the Mother of God or she could have had an abortion later on.
But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?*
-Luke 1:43

Mary IS the mother of God! For who is the Lord but God?

Have you ever stopped and thought how important Mary’s “YES” was for us? He choose ONLY one woman to be His Mother. This is all the same woman. Just as there is no Salvation without believing that Jesus is the Son of God, there would have been no Salvation if Mary had said “NO”.

Shocking? No, not really. Check out the book of Job 42: 7-11.

Just as the Eliphaz and his two friends had to ask for the INTERCESSION of Job to obtain pardon for their sins, it was ONLY through Jobs cooperation in his FREE WILL that moved God to save those men. Likewise, it was ONLY through the cooperation of the Blessed Virgin Mary with God that we were offered the gift of Salvation by Jesus.

HAIL MARY, FULL OF GRACE

That being said, please participate in the poll.

Yep! My Queen and my mother!

Yes, Mary is both my queen and my mother! I love Mary so much! :slight_smile:

:thumbsup:

Yes. Mary, the new Eve, is mother to us all.

Sorry if this is a dense question: don’t Orthodox Christians also consider Mary to be mother?

So far as I know, yes.

Absolutely.

By Christ’s life, passion, death, and resurrection, He afforded me adoption into His Father’s family, the household of God.

Jesus became my brother.
Jesus’ Father became my Father.
Jesus’ brothers and sisters became my brothers and sisters.
As such, it only seems fitting that His mother became my mother, too.

Mary is my mother. Together, we all form the Household of God Almighty.

Absolutely and positively!

She brought me forth at Nazereth. The first moment is the Annuciation. My spiritual regeneration began in the mystery of the Incarnation; for without the Incarnation I would still be buried in the death of sin.

She brought me forth on Calvary. The mystery of the Incarnation is completed by that of the Redemption. Only by His death did Christ effect the destruction of “him who had the empire of death” and definitely merit for me that I should live His life.

She causes my soul to live by obtaining grace for it.

She has truly given me supernatural life, and she has truly co-operated in my birth as a child of God.

Hail, most Holy Queen my mother!

-Luke 2:51

Furthermore, the timing of Jesus’ decision to give us His mother is no coincidence; it was only at the utter peak of His Glory during the Passion that He gave us this wonderful gift of His mother.

Why would you throw away a gift from Jesus?

Because He hath regarded the humility of his handmaid: for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
-Luke 1:48

How have you fulfilled this? If you really believed in the Word of God you would be blessing the name of Mary unceasingly for she is the one who said “YES” to the Holy Spirit and bore the One who would bring us eternal salvation!

Unless you are a Calvinist [they believe in Hard Predestination], you believe that God gave each and everyone of us Free Will and God loves us so much that He will not impose Himself upon us, even if that means we choose reject Him. Mary was given that SAME gift of free will too! She could have declined to be the Mother of God or she could have had an abortion later on.
But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?*
-Luke 1:43

Mary IS the mother of God! For who is the Lord but God?

Have you ever stopped and thought how important Mary’s “YES” was for us? He choose ONLY one woman to be His Mother. This is all the same woman. Just as there is no Salvation without believing that Jesus is the Son of God, there would have been no Salvation if Mary had said “NO”.

Shocking? No, not really. Check out the book of Job 42: 7-11.

Just as the Eliphaz and his two friends had to ask for the INTERCESSION of Job to obtain pardon for their sins, it was ONLY through Jobs cooperation in his FREE WILL that moved God to save those men. Likewise, it was ONLY through the cooperation of the Blessed Virgin Mary with God that we were offered the gift of Salvation by Jesus.

HAIL MARY, FULL OF GRACE

That being said, please participate in the poll.

Ave Maria Gratia Plenus! this is pretty clear she is my Mother

I am member of the Body of Christ. Mary is the the Mother of Christ. Mary is my Mother!

Absolutely, she is my mother!!! :thumbsup:

You better believe Mary is my mother. I love my mother with all my heart.

Yes she is my spiritual mother and more beautiful than any woman I know. Beautiful, pure, perfect, loving, … I could just fall in love with her over and over again…

:thumbsup:

Non-Catholic Christians are divided on this issue. Woah… 3 and 3…

Yes, but somebody will undoubtedly use the one Catholic who answered no to claim we don’t believe it either. :doh2:

Is he indeed Catholic?

If the poll question was “Is the Blessed Virgin Mary, your Spiritual Mother?” Perhaps he will change from no to yes.

That is probably a more accurate question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.