Is the book of Leviticus legitimate?

I often hear people bash Leviticus for its “ridiculous” rules.

Some including not mixing fabrics (is that true? If so why?)

Homosexual acts being a sin (people claim it’s just a teaching made from men because of their time period)

What do I say? I don’t know if Leviticus is legitimate

It is a historical record of the Jewish laws.

Some are valid laws to this day, some are not.

All of the laws make sense in a historacal view–weither it be dietary, clothing or actions.

Question about the mixed fabric ban, was that a ceremonial law that was done away with?

A lot of it is about ceremonial cleanliness, and exhibit the act of uniformity or unity/purity.
Hence pure garments, not mixed. Hence fish but not crustaceans.
Something like that.

Leviticus is entirely legitimate as part of the Jewish Torah and the Canon of the Catholic Church.

The morality of the old law is still true. The time specific regulations and ceremonial practices are not.

It’s not ridiculous to Observant Jews who keep the laws.

Leviticus is one of the books of the Bible accepted as canonical by the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

For sexual immorality, have you not read Genesis 19?

4 Before they went to bed, the townsmen of Sodom, both young and old — all the people to the last man — surrounded the house. 5 They called to Lot and said to him, “Where are the men who came to your house tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have sexual relations with them.” 6 Lot went out to meet them at the entrance. When he had shut the door behind him, 7 he said, “I beg you, my brothers, do not do this wicked thing! …

And Matthew 5:

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you, everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

And Matthew 15:

19 For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, unchastity, theft, false witness, blasphemy. 20 These are what defile a person, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile.”

Does this include Leviticus 25:44?

Yes it does.

Leviticus 20:10 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+20%3A10&version=RSVCE
Matthew 5:17 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew+5%3A17&version=RSVCE
John 8:1-11 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+8%3A1-11&version=RSVCE

read Paul’s book of Philemon

Has there ever been a religion where sodomy is condoned? It;s not like Leviticus was an aberration.

Are you speaking of homosexuality, or are you speaking of sodomy as a sexual act which gay and straight people practice?

Go to India and look at their carved temple figures. Many sexual acts are seen as holy.

Slavery is not inherently wrong, no.

I don’t understand how anyone would think of the book of Leviticus as being ridiculous. The author(s) are attempting to maintain a cohesive society based on ritual, derived from the Mosaic tradition. The mixed fabrics and boiling young goats in their mother’s milk, sodomy, and such were meant to set the Israelites apart from their pagan neighbours.

The Canaanite temples had male prostitutes, so the prohibition relates directly to those religious practices. But indirectly, it comes from the moral law concerning legitimate sexual relations. Homosexual is not the same as a “sodomite.”

People realize, yes, that Leviticus is a Priestly document, and embedded within it is the Holiness Code. It is an extraordinary manual of ritual and orthopraxis, much of which Christianity took as a guide for its own priesthood.

It is still wrong though.

God Bless

Thank you for reading.

We are very much in disagreement on that point.

No room for opinion. It’s church teaching.

The Church may teach that slavery is not inherently wrong. The book of Leviticus may have God himself saying it’s perfectly fine to take slaves. My standard of morality says slavery is inherently wrong.

Are you not a Catholic?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.