Is the canonization process different for holy Eastern Rite Catholics?

Hey everyone. Is there a different canonization process for holy Eastern Rite Catholics who will hopefully someday be declared a saint? I assumed it was the same as for Latin Rite Catholics but now I just wonder if it might be different and I want to know. :slight_smile:

Each church can recognize it’s own saints, so you will find some saints that are venerated in just one church. In both East and West, it starts out with popular devotion to a particular (holy) person. If there is a big enough crowd with a devotion to the same person, the person might just be recognized as a saint by his or her own church. The Eastern churches don’t really have an elaborate process for sainthood like the Latin church does. When the Latin church canonizes someone as a saint, the Eastern churches (in communion with Rome) usually recognize it as well out of courtesy as part of the universal Church (but not always).

Well that is interesting. So how does the Eastern Church go about determining who is a saint and who isn’t?

The Congregation for the Causes of Saints has competencey over all 23 Catholic churches *sui iuris. *

Reference is: New Commentary on the Code of Canon Law, By John P. Beal, James A. Coriden, Thomas J. Green, p. 483

Ah okay! I didn’t know that! Thanks!

Just a casual stroll among a chronological list of saints and blesseds in the 20th century turns up at least two Ukrainian Greek-Catholic blesseds, Yakym Senkivskyi and Josaphata Hordashevska. They were both beatified by Pope St. John Paul the Great and, I would assume if you researched their cases, were subject to the usual due process for the path to sainthood.

Hagiography Circle:

newsaints.faithweb.com/index.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.