Is the Catholic Church in China in communion with Rome?

**I was just wondering since the Vatican has no say in the Chinese government approved Catholic Church, is this Church in communion with Rome? Can a Catholic tourist/traveler fullfill his Sunday obligation in this Church? Can they recieve communion and confess in this Church? **

**Thanks for your response in advanced. **

**:blessyou: **

Have you tried looking at the Cardinal Kung Foundation?
cardinalkungfoundation.org/

[quote=Roman_Army]I was just wondering since the Vatican has no say in the Chinese government approved Catholic Church, is this Church in communion with Rome?
[/quote]

Absolutely not.

Can a Catholic tourist/traveler fullfill his Sunday obligation in this Church? Can they recieve communion and confess in this Church?

Yes. The Orders of these priests and bishops are valid, and they have not been ex-communicated (yet).

Interesting thread - but now I’m confused :frowning:

If one can fullfill Sunday obligations at a Catholic church in China - since they are ordained - how can the Church not be in communion with Rome? Wouldn’t this be like going to a splinter church here in the US? What am I missing to make the connection?

Thanks in advance!

I believe there are two churches in China…the government sponsored variety…and the underground Catholic church. Being a Catholic in China is risky business. Our media never reports on the dozens of priests and even a few bishops that have been taken into custody, tortured and in some cases executed. So while the official state-sponsored church in China is not in communion with Rome, the underground churches likely are.

[quote=ProudArmyWife]Interesting thread - but now I’m confused :frowning:

If one can fullfill Sunday obligations at a Catholic church in China - since they are ordained - how can the Church not be in communion with Rome? Wouldn’t this be like going to a splinter church here in the US? What am I missing to make the connection?

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

**According to Canon Law we can recieve communion and confess in other seperated apostolic churches in grave situations (for example when there’s no Catholic Church around). Plus, it is my understanding that a lot of the Chinese government approved Bishops have also been approved by the Vatican. **

So, I assume the conclusion of this thread is: Catholics can recieve the sacraments in the Chinese government approved Church given that there is no other Catholic Church around. The Chinese government approved Catholic Church is not in full physical communion with Rome. The underground Catholic Church is in full communion.

I suspect that the Chinese government approved Church is not allowed to preach the doctrines on abortion and contraception.

[quote=Roman_Army]I suspect that the Chinese government approved Church is not allowed to preach the doctrines on abortion and contraception.
[/quote]

Interesting aside…I have a white rubber bracelet (for October - Respect Life month) that says ‘Save the Unborn’. It was made in China.

[quote=ProudArmyWife]Interesting thread - but now I’m confused.

If one can fullfill Sunday obligations at a Catholic church in China - since they are ordained - how can the Church not be in communion with Rome?
[/quote]

It is confusing. See Wikipedia for more information.

Thanks for all the information everyone. The link was especially helpful. I think I understand it now.

As for the bracelet, I don’t know if I should answer with a :rotfl: or a :banghead:

I dont want to bring up an old thread, but i have a question, since i am currently vacationing in shanghai and have an opportunity to go to a non-roman catholic church tomorrow morning (sunday). Since it doesn’t support to the authority of the pope, I suppose that would be classified as shism. Do I attend the church tomorrow morning and recieve communion tomorrow for my sunday obligation?:confused:

Thanks

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=161967&highlight=china

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=161967&highlight=china

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.