Is the Catholic Church infallible?

Is the Catholic Church infallible? What is its stance on events like the inquisition, treatment meted out to personalities like Joan of arc, Galileo and early day protestants (read, burning at the stake) and similar actions and events?

I’m a Catholic myself and a very proud believer at that. Though I’m not a trained or certified apologist, I am inherently curious and read/learn a lot on issues central to our faith, and issues pitted against us and I try to be the best defender I can be against separated brethren. However, I particularly derive great happiness when the Church or specifically the Pope requests forgiveness for whatever mistake/atrocities the Church might have committed in the past, for that is what closely adheres to Christ’s teaching on repentance and forgiveness. As a Catholic, I personally like to believe that Satan wouldn’t even spare the Church and would continuously try to attack it. Therefore my personal belief is that the Church is not immune, has committed mistakes, but rebounds every time through the power of God in his Church-The Holy Spirit.

But my beliefs notwithstanding, I would like you to throw light on my earlier question. Does the Church accept it has made mistakes? If so, has it apologized, corrected its actions, reviewed and revised its decrees/statements. Many protestants accuse Catholics of justifying never accepting their past actions and in turn term them as the will of God. Your answer to my query will go a long way in helping and armouring people like me to answer such critics.

Thank you in advance. Expecting a response. :slight_smile:

This link should be helpful for understanding why Catholics believe the pope is infallible. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this link, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]In what sense is the Pope Infallible?
[/LIST]

The following links should assist you and your child in better understanding the Inquisition.
Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]
The Inquisition**
]* An Inquisition Primer** by Robert P. Lockwood
*]Secrets of the Spanish Inquisition Revealed by Robert P. Lockwood
*]Nobody Expects the Mosaic Inquisition! by James Akin
*]
What really happened to Galileo?

]* The Crusades/Inquisition from a pro-Catholic POV**
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.