Is the Church against mining?

So I recently got into a mining engineering program in a university in Canada. To me it seemed like a great idea as the new mining ethic is to plan for safe, environmental friendly mines, and focus on sustainability and closure plans before starting the mine.

But it seems like a lot of people are opposed to mining, and someone told me that the Catholic Church is opposed to mining.

I don’t want to be in this profession if it’s against our beliefs, but I can’t really see where it would be. Of course there is the issue of human rights in some places, but I would definitely be against that.

Thoughts?

I seriously doubt that the Catholic church is against mining. If they were, there wouldn’t be a single Catholic miner in W.V. in communion with the Catholic church!! I imagine the church is against environmentally unsafe mining and mines that don’t use appropriate safety precautions to protect their miners—as a matter of principle. But even then, I can’t imagine the Catholic church black balling an entire industry or even telling a Catholic in some poor, 3rd world country whose kids are starving not to accept work in an unsafe mine if they chose to. (That would most likely eliminate Catholic miners in China and Africa too!)

Are you an actual miner or in mining management? Seems to me that it might be an incredible opportunity to advocate for any needed changes needed if you are planning to go into management! Good luck to you!!:thumbsup:

Then “someone” should be able to prove it.

This is one of the sillier things I’ve heard that the Chuch is “against”.

Why don’t you ask him/her if he ever heard of 'The mines of King Salomon"?

Mining has been part of our civilization and without it we would not have been able to come out of the caves.

The very first thing that humans mined was “Obsidian” a glass like stone that was used to make knives, tools and arrow heads.

The activity is not intrisically evil, a quality that is a test for the Church to be against something.

Given the number of wives King Solomon is reputed to have had, I’m not sure I’d use him as a Church-approved precedent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.