Is the Church more controlling in other countries?

I was talking to this fundamentalist gentleman and he was telling me how the catholic church demanded devotion (worship on the level of God and maybe on how you interprete what he is saying above that of God) and I told him that I had been visting the local Catholic church for a few months now and that Father Paul talks more about Christ and when any mention is made to mary it sound more like Mary leads us and points to Jesus more than herself (and that the same was true with the saints). He said that because the U.S. is a rather liberal in faith that the public would not allow the Church to inforce this teaching regarding mary. But in Countries that the church has “a controll over like mexico and south america” she does inforce it. That Catholism in the U.S. is nothing like the Catholic Church in the rest of the world.I have never taken the time to go to mexico or any country that was dominatly Catholic, I am wondering if anyone who would know anything on this could help me out here? Any help you could give to this “Cradle Catholic” would be very much apreciated. Thank you and God bless.

Hi Montie! :slight_smile:

The guy’s all messed up and it’s nothing more than a rant he’s picked up from some a/C site or preacher. I know because I’ve heard and answered that before. For such to be the case it would have to be stated church doctrine which it clearly is not.

As with most allegations of this type, the best answer is to simply ask him to provide some documented proof. He won’t, because he can’t, because such simply does not exist because it is patently untrue.

Pax tecum,

[quote=Montie Claunch]… He said that because the U.S. is a rather liberal in faith that the public would not allow the Church to enforce this teaching regarding Mary. But in Countries that the Church has “a controll over like mexico and south america” she does enforce it.
[/quote]

You live in Texas, not far outside Houston, right? Surely there are folks in your area who are from a Mexican or South American culture. But, now that these folks are free from government “enforcement,” do you find they abandon their devotion to Our Lady? Or do you see images of OL Guadalupe in their homes, businesses, cars, and trucks? If you talk to them, or visit their worship services, do they not honor and revere Our Lady, even though they are not compelled to do so?

They love Mary because Our Lord loved her, and they are trying to be Christ-like (as we are all called to do). In many ways they are 'better Catholics" than American Catholics, and this is why they love Mary (and take that love with them when they go to another country).

I believe it’s more a cultural thing than the church controlling people. We all live in communion with the saints, and they all do indeed point to Christ. In the United States many tend to put a lot more emphasis on government and popular culture dictating norms versus a religious faith life. I’ve forgotten what percentage Catholics in the United States represent compared to the total number of Catholics in the world, but I believe it’s about 10%. Regardless, I find it hard to see a forced devotion to the saints or Mary by the church. I do believe that in some countries the church supports such devotions more than in others. Sadly, in my humble opinion, there are many priests in this country who never pick up a Rosary. My mom had one priest tell her that St. Faustina we delusional and that her visions were just her imagination. I also believe there is a real difference in the mindset of priests in the United State who came into the priesthood prior to John Paul II versus those who have been ordained during his time leading our faith. I see a lot more devotion to saints and Mary from the JP II priests.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was talking to this fundamentalist gentleman and he was telling me how the catholic church demanded devotion (worship on the level of God and maybe on how you interprete what he is saying above that of God) and I told him that I had been visting the local Catholic church for a few months now and that Father Paul talks more about Christ and when any mention is made to mary it sound more like Mary leads us and points to Jesus more than herself (and that the same was true with the saints). He said that because the U.S. is a rather liberal in faith that the public would not allow the Church to inforce this teaching regarding mary. But in Countries that the church has “a controll over like mexico and south america” she does inforce it. That Catholism in the U.S. is nothing like the Catholic Church in the rest of the world.I have never taken the time to go to mexico or any country that was dominatly Catholic, I am wondering if anyone who would know anything on this could help me out here? Any help you could give to this “Cradle Catholic” would be very much apreciated. Thank you and God bless.
[/quote]

Here in the UK, there are churches dedicated to “Mary Queen of the World”, & litanies, pilgrimages and shrines in her honour. Carfin Grotto is the national Marian shrine ffor Scotland, like Our Lady of Walsingham for England.

The UK is not a Catholic country either; it’s very secular - but there is still plenty of devotion to her.

Mary does point us to her Son - that is her function in the Church; to do that, and, above all, to show us how to adore Him.

It is preposterous to think of her as His rival or as pushing Him off His throne - that makes no sense.

BTW - teaching does not vary from country to country, or it shouldn’t. Mary is the immaculate mother of God assumed into heaven, no matter where one lives, or who one’s neighbours are. One might as well say that the doctrines of grace or of the Bible, differed from country to country :frowning:

BTW - Mary never points to herself ##

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.