Is the Church(RCC) founded by Christ necessary for salvation?

Christ built His only one true Church(one sheepfold) Mt16:18.
Now the questions is,
is the Church founded by Christ necessary for salvation?
:thumbsup:

Yes, it is His flock, His mystical Body, which receives life from Him, its Head. :thumbsup:

“As the Father sent me, so I send you,” I assume means that saving grace comes to all through the Church.

Whether every saved person happens to consider themselves members of the Church is another question.

Peace.
John

Since Christ did not do anything that was not relevant for salvation, and He found it necessary, I think we can confidently believe that it is.

Of course it isn’t. You’ve got it backwards: The church exists for one purpose: to bring people to Christ, not Christ to bring people to the church.

There’s only one source for salvation: belief in Christ.

Jesus the Way to the Father
5Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would know[a] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

Regarding: Christ doing nothing not relevant for salvation-

Based on what the Bible teaches us, I think that logic is a little bit faulty. Christ didn’t instruct Peter to create the Church to provide an organization that would provide salvation. That’s backwards. The Church was created to spread the Word and to bring people to Christ. There’s nothing Biblical about the idea that the Church is the only possible source of Salvation.

I’m not a protestant, but I’m not silly enough to say that protestants have no Biblical basis for their concerns about certain Church teachings, the biggest of which is the RCC’s (claimed) monopoly on Salvation.

Actually, it operates both ways:

1. The Church baptizes and thru baptism the life of grace is received. The Church not only preached, but also wrote and preserved thru the centuries the NT which proclaims Christ.
  2. All one has to do is listen to conversion stories to hear of instances where Christ led someone to belief in the Catholic Church.

There’s only one source for salvation: belief in Christ.

We are saved by grace alone. The Catholic Church teaches that it is possible for someone to be saved even if they have never heard of Christ.

Regarding: Christ doing nothing not relevant for salvation-

Based on what the Bible teaches us, I think that logic is a little bit faulty. Christ didn’t instruct Peter to create the Church to provide an organization that would provide salvation. That’s backwards. The Church was created to spread the Word and to bring people to Christ. There’s nothing Biblical about the idea that the Church is the only possible source of Salvation

Well, you’re right. Jesus didn’t tell Peter to create the Church - Jesus said He would build it - but He was going to build it on Peter/Rock! ("…on this Rock, I will build My Church").

As to the Church being the source of salvation, it is only because the grace, merited for our salvation by Jesus on the cross, is made present in the world/in time through the Mass (the re-presentation/offering of this saving sacrifice). God has bound this grace to the sacraments (altho He Himself is not bound by them and can choose to bestow this grace when and to whom He pleases).

Belief always plays a role. In the first centuries (prior to cradle Catholics) it was adults that sought baptism. The only reason for seeking it was believing in Jesus and that His words and commands were God’s words and commands. Hence the necessity to obey them! For cradle Catholics, loss of belief in Jesus may lead to a loss of the life of grace in the soul.

I’m not a protestant, but I’m not silly enough to say that protestants have no Biblical basis for their concerns about certain Church teachings, the biggest of which is the RCC’s (claimed) monopoly on Salvation.

Re “monopoly”: do you mean that you think the Church teaches that only official members of the institutional Catholic Church here on earth can enter into heaven??? If so, you are mistaken in what you think the Church teaches. You would do well to purchase a Catechism and study the section on “I Believe In The Holy Catholic Church” #748-975, paying special attention to #830-848.

God bless,
Nita

:tiphat:
Halo Hamilton,
I hope this will help you understand what is the Church Christ established.

While Christ was with His Apostles (Mt.16:18-19) He built His Church(one sheepfold) and gave Peter the leadership so when He go back to the Father, His sheep will not be shepherdless. One sheepfold and one shepherd.
Christ said that His sheep must be in that fold(John 1:16).

Christ is head and the body is His Church.
(Col. 1:18, Col 1:24
(Eph.1:21-23)…And he put all things beneath his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, which is his body, the fullness of the one who fills all things in every way.
What’s the scripture associating the Church with? With Christ. Christ is saying out the Church is His body.
(Eph. 5:21-32) This passage really tells us of the relationship of Christ and His Church.

In verse 23 what does it tells us? “Christ is head of the Church.”

Then in verse 31 “For this reason a man shall leave (his) father and (his) mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. The two shall become one.”

And look at the next verse, verse 32 “This is a great mystery, but I speak in reference to Christ and His Church.”

What is it telling about the relationship of Christ and His Church? They’re one, just like a husband and wife in flesh.
Christ and His Church are ONE. You can’t have one without the other. In order to know Christ fully you have to know His Church, in order to know His Church you have to know Christ. Without one of them you can’t know the complete Christ.

In Acts 9:4. "He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” Remember good old Paul? Who was Saul? He was Jewish Zealot. A well educated Jew. Did he like Christians? He persecuted Christians. He wanted to kill Christians. While he was on the Road to Damascus, he fell to ground because of the light.

Who is this light? It’s Christ.

And what did Christ told Saul? Why are you persecuting Me.

Wait a minute! Was Christ still on earth at this time? Where is he? He already ascended to heaven. He was gone.
So who is Paul persecuting? He was persecuting Christians. He was persecuting the people in the Church.

But look at what Christ said. Why didn’t Christ say, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting the people in My Church? He said why are you persecuting Me, because He is showing you the inter-relationship between the Church and Christ. There are one and the same. You can’t have one without the other.

This are the four marks of CHRIST’s Church:
ONE =in covenanted worship, leadreship and doctrines.
HOLY = as Christ her Founder, is Holy and comprises His
Mystical Body
CATHOLIC =that is, Universal in scope for all peoples, cultures,
& climes for all time
APOSTOLIC = shepherded by the Bishop of Rome with authority
handed on from the Apostles to the bishops thoughout
the ages.

The Catholic Church its origin can be traced back to the Apostles & Christ see relaible resources such as history books or encyclopedias ex: encarta, britannica, wikipedia, world book encyclopedia. & the writings of the Apostolic Fathers.

If it isn’t… boy did God waste his time.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.