Is the end of times near?

Hi, some time ago a priest told me about three signs of the ends of times, )if i remember them correctly) here they are:

1. The jews will go back to their land.
  2. they will rebuilt a temple (i think destroying a mosque was necessary for this)
  3. the antichrist will come to earth.

i remembered that while reading some news about israel and palestina, but looking in the internet i did not found anything about it.

are this “signs” recognized by the Church? is this on the Bible? i will appreciate all the information/links etc you can provide on the subject.

Thanks!

Define “near”.

Protestants share this belief much more than Catholics seem to believe, but I tend to agree we are very near based on everything I have read, seen and heard, but no one knows the day or hour.

Not to downplay the seriousness of many events happening worldwide right now, but hasn’t every age thought it was in the end times?

Honestly, technically, we’ve been in the end times for nearly 2000 years. Jesus’s crucifixion and resurrection ushered in the End Times - but when the parousia (second coming) happens? Who knows. We just need to remain ready for whenever it comes.

Technically we’ve been in the end times for 2000 years. However, I personally believe that Jesus will return fairly soon. I hope He returns within my life time.

I have spoken to a lot of Catholics in my Diocese who also believe we are “nearing” the End Times. Mainly because of the attacks on the Faith, the extremism currently popular in the US and parts of Europe (homosexuality, abortion, bi-sexualism, couples living together & having children without marriage, and the unfortunate fact that many who practice these things are self-identified as “catholic” (lower case “c” used intentionally) and the current attack of the government on Catholics and many Protestants to force us to provide abortions… It’s true that Jesus stated that the re-establishment of Israel would be the “first sign” of the nearing of the End Times, as well as “wars & rumors of wars”. Although the Earth has had war in one place or another very frequently for many centuries. However, since WWII, we’ve had larger as well as more limited wars, somewhere, continuously for the past 70 years. Israel was re-established in 1948, and Jesus said that "that generation which saw (Israel re-established) “would not pass away” prior to His return. A biblical generation varies from 30 years, to as much as 70 years, depending upon the Scripture interpretation.

The current rapid increase in sinful behavior, and acceptance by general populations of things which were scandalous and considered sinful for centuries would seem to indicate we are “nearing” the End Times. Personally I feel the world is self-destructing in so far as morals are concerned. As for the rebuilding of the Temple, that is apparently done by the anti-Christ, during the “last 7 years” before the return of Christ.

It’s true that many Protestants do believe it is near, but a lot of Catholics are also beginning to believe the same thing. Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it occurs within the next 10 - 20 years, but only the Father knows the hour and the day. We can only be careful to be ready at all times for that occurrence, and I try very hard to be ready every day and every hour, since I have no way of knowing when the Time will come. Since I’m over 70, there’s a good chance I will die prior to the return of Christ, but I find it an interesting subject. We need to pray daily to be ready, receive the Sacrament of Penance as often as we should (I go once a month, usually) and celebrate the Holy Mass weekly. I wish I could attend Mass daily, but due to disability, cannot get to our Historic Church the 3 weekdays when Mass is offered, but attend at the Parish Center which is handicap accessible each week. I’m also trying to get back in the habit of daily Rosary, which I did get “lazy” with for several years. I do pray daily, and often say short prayers during the day as well. I think we should all do as much as we can to pray for the world and the general population which has become so immoral. It is the Father’s decision when the End comes, but I would certainly want to be watchful and ready if it occurs while I live!

No.

Not even close.

There is no set events that need to take place.

The world has been in a constant state of war since the first human used a rock to kill another human or since the apple was eaten.

There has not been a day in thousands of years that another tribe was not slaughtering another tribe.

It’s a matter of numbers. More people equal more death famine pestilence and war.

When Jesus does come it will have nothing to with man made events.

We are so lacking in wisdom and intelligence that trying to predict the end time is a fruitless endeavor.

We should just focus and being followers of Jesus in both actions and thoughts. Everything else will take care of itself.

God bless.

Sounds like you’ve been studying with Evangelicals or Fundamentalists.

I used to believe all that but I sum up my belief in my blog article The Rapture?

There are some good sources that speak to this issue.

shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/n/end-of-the-world-digital.jpg What Jesus Really Said About The End Of The World (Digital)

shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/beginning-apologetics-8.jpg
Beginning Apologetics 8: What Catholics Believe about the Second Coming, the Rapture, Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, and Indulgences

Regular Price:                                      $5.95                             
                                       Special Price:                                      $4.95                             

The Rapture
Do Catholics believe in the Rapture?

I agree with you.

hope19

We are in fact living in the end times (eschaton). That we have reached the end times and salvation has assumed a ‘now or never’ vital dimension, may be inferred from this purely scientific report, prepared from a Greenpeace pamphlet:
The planet Earth is 4.6 billion years old. By defining a biological year as 100 million years, this mind boggling temporal history becomes finite and fathomable. Thus, talking in biological years:
• Mother Earth’s age is 46 years;
• she began to bear flowers at the age of 42……
• mammals arrived only 8 months ago…
• modern humans have been around for 4 hours.
• During the last hour, they discovered Agriculture.
• The Industrial Revolution happened just a minute ago.
• During those 60 seconds of biological time, humankind
00000• has made a ‘rubbish pit’ of Paradise
00000• caused extinction of 500 species of animals,
00000• has multiplied its own numbers to plague proportions,
00000• ransacked the planet for fuels and
00000• now stands like a brutish infant,
00000• gloating over the meteoric rise,
00000• effectively destroying this oasis of life in the solar system.

The post is incorrect on at least 3-points.

There is no set events that need to take place. [Scripture indicates otherwise]

It’s a matter of numbers. More people equal more death famine pestilence and war.[Scripture predicts a period of peace regardless of population]

We are so lacking in wisdom and intelligence that trying to predict the end time is a fruitless endeavor. No one is predicting end time dates as Scripture is also clear on this. The question …“Is the end times near”

Further speaking of proposition two, this is indicative the end times are near and seems contradictory to me.

The first coming of our Lord, was Just In Time; we are indeed living in the ‘end times’. In other words ‘the kingdom of God is at hand’.
[/quote]

Mark 1:15 “The time is fulfilled, the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

“But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father”. Matt 24:36

We have at least a trillion years before the end is nigh, it seems.
Not so near that we will see it.

As per wiki:

*Stars are expected to form normally for (1–100 trillion) years, but eventually the supply of gas needed for star formation will be exhausted. And as existing stars run out of fuel and cease to shine, the universe will slowly and inexorably grow darker, one star at a time. According to theories that predict proton decay, the stellar remnants left behind will disappear, leaving behind only black holes, which themselves eventually disappear as they emit Hawking radiation. Ultimately, if the universe reaches a state in which the temperature approaches a uniform value, no further work will be possible, resulting in a final heat death of the universe.

The current “increase” of “sinful behavior” are not that different from widespread, organic changes humankind has experienced in past centuries–just a bit faster in these modern times of speed.

We’ve had eras where the “immoral” behavior you talk about has been even more pronounced than they are today.

It’s part of the natural ebb and flow.

Not to the degree things are at today.

I believe we are close or are in the end times already. God said no one would know the exact day or hour, BUT he did give them many signs to watch out for, to let them know it is getting close or at the door (many people forget this), if you look at this list, you will see most have been realized or are happening…IMO, its that simple.

Science doesn’t control God, your order is in reverse. :slight_smile:

I would read this book if your really interested in the “end”. :slight_smile:

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEUQtwIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKMpNtRXSDR4&ei=NCzFU-mpEoTM8QHszYHYAQ&usg=AFQjCNFpoYpiDHDQZ6WO43FOlxFZcw_TTg

Highly recommended and very Catholic. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.