Is the entertainment industry and the rest of the media a vital source of national security?

Is the entertainment industry and the rest of the media a vital source of national security?

Ummm… no, why would they be?

Think about it more deeply. A world of over 7 billion people must be controlled and kept occupied. It’s a grand illusion out there!

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:3, topic:319614"]
Think about it more deeply. A world of over 7 billion people must be controlled and kept occupied. It's a grand illusion out there!

[/quote]

I think that the world would actually be a better place with people spending their time in a more productive way than burning away the hours in front of a TV or at a theater.

500 years ago, the world did just fine without media of any kind!

500 year ago the world was more stable in that there was no rapid population growth or rapid social change.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:5, topic:319614"]
500 year ago the world was more stable in that there was no rapid population growth or rapid social change.

[/quote]

Why do you say that? There has always been social change, in every culture; we just forget about any change that we haven't experienced personally.

It’s all a matter of scale. Today the scale is much larger than in the past. And whose to say that ‘things’ were in place for the social change that took part in the past. I believe that society was always brought under control throughout human history.

I disagree.

[quote="dshix, post:8, topic:319614"]
I disagree.

[/quote]

Please note that there is an extreme difference between common beliefs and wisdom.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:7, topic:319614"]
It's all a matter of scale. Today the scale is much larger than in the past. And whose to say that 'things' were in place for the social change that took part in the past. I believe that society was always brought under control throughout human history.

[/quote]

Funny that you should say something like that. I remember reading something like that from the 1930's and '40's by two guys named Adolph and Bennito!
I don't know where you learned your history, but surely you must have been absent on the day the concepts of religious and political freedom were discussed! What you are suggesting is un-American. It is Fascism; which, incidentally we fought a bitter war to supress. at the cost of many thousands of American lives.
Incidentally, Josef Goebels was the first one to use the mass media of the day ( The press and radio) to promulgate the Nazi party's programme to the German people. He, in fact, invented modern propaganda. He learned his lessons from William Randolph Hearst, the US newspaper magnate who almost single handedly started the Spanish American War by slanting the news in his newspapers. He once told an illustrator to just "send him provacative pictures from Cuba. I'll provide the war".

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:9, topic:319614"]
Please note that there is an extreme difference between common beliefs and wisdom.

[/quote]

Thanks for mentioning that. It applies to yourself.

[quote="George_Stegmeir, post:10, topic:319614"]
Funny that you should say something like that. I remember reading something like that from the 1930's and '40's by two guys named Adolph and Bennito!
I don't know where you learned your history, but surely you must have been absent on the day the concepts of religious and political freedom were discussed! What you are suggesting is Fascism; which, incidentally we fought a bitter war to supress. at the cost of many thousands of American lives.

[/quote]

I agree with this.

[quote="George_Stegmeir, post:10, topic:319614"]
I don't know where you learned your history, but surely you must have been absent on the day the concepts of religious and political freedom were discussed! What you are suggesting is un-American. It is Fascism; which, incidentally we fought a bitter war to supress. at the cost of many thousands of American lives.
Incidentally, Josef Goebels was the first one to use the mass media of the day ( The press and radio) to promulgate the Nazi party's programme to the German people. He, in fact, invented modern propaganda. He learned his lessons from William Randolph Hearst, the US newspaper magnate who almost single handedly started the Spanish American War by slanting the news in his newspapers. He once told an illustrator to just "send him provacative pictures from Cuba. I'll provide the war".

[/quote]

Democracy is a part of the 'grand illusion.' It cannot work, and is ridiculous if you really think about it!

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:1, topic:319614"]

[/quote]

I guess my first question would be: How does this pertain to moral theology? And second, anyone who puts any trust in the buffoons in the entertainment industry needs some serious counseling by a good priest.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:12, topic:319614"]
Democracy is a part of the 'grand illusion.' It cannot work, and is ridiculous if you really think about it!

[/quote]

So you are advocating Fascism over democracy?

I have studied world governments in different periods of time, and my conclusion is that there is no such thing as a perfect government.

The cycle of government goes like this:

First, there is not government, and men come together and decide to pick one man as their leader. This is called Kingship. The "king" (this can be a governor, leader, chief, whatever you want to call it) is solely elected because of his good qualities, and is removed if he does not act in the interests of the people. This is a good form of government.

However, after a few generations, the kingship devolves into a monarchy. The monarchy is kingship which is not based on merit but rather on bloodline, or some other reason that does not have to do with merit. These kings are sufficient, but do not always act in the interests of the people, and when they make made decisions, they are not always removed from power. This is a mediocre government.

After more time and more trouble, the monarchy devolves into tyranny. I don't believe I even need to explain what this is; it is essentially just a bad king who acts in his own interest and is a tyrant.

When the people have become fed up with the tyrant, they overthrow him and adopt an aristocracy. This is a renewal of the cycle, except instead of it being 'rule of one', it is 'rule of the few.' These men act in the interests of the people, and if they do not, they are removed.

After a few more generations, the aristocracy devolves into an oligarchy. This is again rule of the few, but the rulers act against the needs of the people and such up as much wealth and benefit for themselves as possible. This is the equivalent of a tyrant, but with several "rulers."

When the people are fed up with this, they move on. Democracy becomes the rule of law, and the oligarchy is overthrown. This, again, is a good form of government. Again, this need not be explained.

However, democracy very quickly devolves into mob rule, and then it is chaos. Society breaks down, hedonism is rampant, and morality reaches a new low. Society disintegrates.

The cycle begins again at kingship, and repeats.

NOW, some governments were wise enough to realize this, and put things in place to avoid it. Case in point, the US was formed with a kingship (president) an aristocracy (senate and house) and a democracy (the people.) This lasts significantly longer; but it too devolves over time. Currently I believe we have a tyranny, an aristocracy in the last stages of becoming an oligarchy, and a democracy which is become mob rule.

I’m not advocating anything. I’m just trying to explore reality and getting people to think about it on a different level of thought.

[quote="Sister_Terese, post:13, topic:319614"]
I guess my first question would be: How does this pertain to moral theology? And second, anyone who puts any trust in the buffoons in the entertainment industry needs some serious counseling by a good priest.

[/quote]

My personal belief, which I hope that member of CAF respect, is that we live in a world run by Satan. I believe we are all in need of salvation from this miserable and corrupt world.

So sorry if I posted this on the wrong forum. Maybe the moderators can move it to a more appropriate forum.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:16, topic:319614"]
My personal belief, which I hope that member of CAF respect, is that we live in a world run by Satan. I believe we are all in need of salvation from this miserable and corrupt world.

So sorry if I posted this on the wrong forum. Maybe the moderators can move it to a more appropriate forum.

[/quote]

The world influenced by Satan, but not run by him. If he did run it, things would be very different.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:16, topic:319614"]

[/quote]

If you really believe that, why would you ever consider Hollywood as a source for national security? Last time I checked, Hollywood was Satan's playground.

[quote="PatriceA, post:18, topic:319614"]
If you really believe that, why would you ever consider Hollywood as a source for national security? Last time I checked, Hollywood was Satan's playground.

[/quote]

Not just Hollywood, but the entire earth is Satan's playground, and God is allowing it to happen as a means for our salvation. People need to be controlled in our world of over 7 billion people.

Isn’t it an ancient heresy to think that there are two worlds constantly at battle, good and evil?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.