Is the Eucharist really the true Body and Blood of Christ?

I am slowly making my way back to the Church. Can someone please explain to me, as I have heard it in other threads that only the Catholic Church gives the Body and Blood of Christ. Other Churches offer it for symbolism only. Is this true?

How can it possibly be the Body and Blood of Christ?

And also, when I receive the Eucharist is it ok to not take the Wine?
A lot of people in my Parish do not receive both. When I was growning up, my Father use to say to not take the Wine due to ‘sharing’ the cup with others, germs etc :shrug:
Sounds a little lame, I know, but it has always stuck in my head, so I do not usually have the wine for that reason, is this ok?

Thanks to everyone, in advance :slight_smile:

Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
Yes,its the true Body and Blood of Christ.
Here the Church leaves us totaly to our faith,and yes,it is.
Your second questions wos about if it is OK only to take the Body,and yes,You can do so,here in Finland we sometime at evening-mass during weekdays only give the Body.

I am happy that You are coming back to the Church and start to practise Your faith again,I advice You to trye to find time to talk whit the priest aswell,I will offer one Hail Mary for You.

It is a matter of Church teaching and we have faith that the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ. This belief is the heart and soul of Catholic worship.

How can this be? Through the love and grace of God and the Holy Spirit.

It is ok for you not to take the wine. Either species is sufficient alone to receive Our Lord fully. Think of it. Think of this. The Body is present in the Blood and the Blood is present in the Body. Makes perfect sense to me. As far as “germs” when sharing the cup. This is Our Lord present. I don’t believe for a minute that any germs that would do us harm would be allowed to survive at this point. Even if these germs would be alive, Our Lord present in the wine is the antidote. I would not worry about this. God bless you on your return to the faith. Accept the teachings of the Church as “a little child” and everything will be just fine.

Yes, but include the Orthodox Churches as well.

How can it possibly be the Body and Blood of Christ?

The Person who established the Eucharistic ritual happens to be GOD. When God says things like “Let there be light,” there actually is light.

And also, when I receive the Eucharist is it ok to not take the Wine?

Yes. Both the Host and the Precious Blood are the entire Christ: Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. You don’t get “more Jesus” by receiving under both kinds.

A lot of people in my Parish do not receive both. When I was growning up, my Father use to say to not take the Wine due to ‘sharing’ the cup with others, germs etc :shrug:
Sounds a little lame, I know, but it has always stuck in my head, so I do not usually have the wine for that reason, is this ok?

Sure. However, for you to receive the Precious Blood (it is not wine after it is consecrated) despite your fears would be a great act of faith in Jesus Christ.

Some very nice thoughts above. The Eucharist, Holy Communion, the Blessed Sacrement, The Lords Supper, is the Last Supper re-enacted over and over and over. So in essence, its really no different than if “you” were at the last supper. The final meal before Christs arrest and Crucifixtion. Jesus said “This “is” my body” This “is” my blood" Do this in memory of me. This is the New and Everlasting Covenant. IT will be shed for “you” and for “all” so sins may be forgiven.

So think of this way, if someone had a problem understanding how Christ could become body and blood. Then imagine what they would have thought at the Last Supper? So Christ would have been serving his Body and Blood to the Disciples while he was still standing there.

And you could best believe that the Miracles Christ humbly performed left all in wonder as they witnessed them. Is it any wonder there are those who doubt today?

Yet this “is” God. This is he who walks on Water, Heals Lepers, Parts the Red Sea, Brings 10 Plagues of Egypt, destroys Sodom and Gomorrah in a moment. Creates Man and Woman, performs the Immaculate Conception, creates the World in a week.

Becoming a reality in Bread in Wine wouldn’t be possible for…GOD?

Be secure God is in the Mystical Body of Jesus Christ and he is the redeemer. Admitt your faults and move past them and closer to God. He is the WAY and the only Path.

Christ; I tell you I shall not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom." Matthew 26:26-29

God Bless, GT

“This is my body.” - Jesus

What further explanation is necessary?

OP, it’s not “the wine”, it’s the Precious Blood. Wine completely ceased to exist after the priest consecrated it, and only the appearance remains.

I will allow this thread to remain in the L&S forum for the purpose of explaining to Angels Eyes’ the Church’s teaching and how to receive the Eucharist at Mass. Please, no debating transubstantiation in this thread. Anyone who wishes to do so may start a new thread in the Apologetics forum. Thank you all. :slight_smile:

The Catholic and Orthodox Church have the valid Sacrament, thus both offer the Body and Blood of Christ in the Eucharist

Simply because Jesus said so. In the Last Supper He said, “this is my body,” and “this is the cup of my blood.”

Since Jesus is indivisible, He is fully present in the smallest of crumbs and the tiniest of drops of the Sacred Species of the Eucharist. So yes.

Again, yes.

Thank you all for responding to my thread. All of the advice has been very helpful, and I really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

I am sorry if I have offended anyone, by starting this thread in the wrong place. My intention was certainly not to upset anyone, but simply seek help, so if anyone has been offended I am deeply sorry. I thought as it related to the sacraments it would be in the correct spot.

Thank you again,
God Bless,
Angels Eyes

Yes, the Eucharist most certainly is the real Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ! :thumbsup: Here are a couple of good pages for you to read:

therealpresence.org/eucharst/a.html

therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html

Dear Angel Eyes,

Welcome back. There are many mysteries within our faith. Not quite understandable, but parts of our faith nonetheless. [That’s why we call them mysteries. :smiley: ]

These forums are such a good place to read, ask, and learn. They are a part of my first cuppa’ [coffee] every morning.

Mary Carolyn

Thanks Holly :slight_smile:

I found the links very interesting. Really loved the ‘Eucharistic Miracle’ :smiley: Wow, so amazing, that is proof, wow!!!

Thank you so much, on this special day for me, with our first Australian Saint Canonised, it has made me even happier, if that was possible :wink:

Hi Mary, :slight_smile:

Thank you for your kind words. It is lovely to be back, I have to say. Years of ignoring God’s voice, and thinking I belonged somewhere else, and finally coming full circle and really listening to him. Life is a miracle, I am very lucky.

I too enjoy reading the forum over my cup of tea. I have received a lot of direction and wonderful advise on the posts, it is obviously helping me to grow more in my faith. Praise the Lord. :wink:

God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.