Is the gift of “free will” lost when under the influence of demonic possession?

We all know God gives us the gift of “free will”. We can choose to move towards him, or away from him. In the case of exorcism, when Satan possesses a soul, how does the victim utilize his or her gift of free will since normally Satan does not ask the “soul” for permission.

I’m not sure the Church has ever spoken on the matter, but common sense would hold that she is not culpable for any of her body’s actions. Her free will is not removed, but her control over her body is. She could (and should) still use her free will to struggle against the demon (though probably not with good results). Again, I don’t think the Church has taught anything about this, so it’s hard to say for sure.

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=Vatican_City]We all know God gives us the gift of “free will”. We can choose to move towards him, or away from him. In the case of exorcism, when Satan possesses a soul, how does the victim utilize his or her gift of free will since normally Satan does not ask the “soul” for permission.
[/quote]

The faculty of free will, never - as to the exercise of the faculty, I don’t know :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.