Is the grace offered on 'Divine Mercy Sunday' a plenary indulgence or something more?

I thought the promise of Divine Mercy Sunday was that if you had a valid confession the week after Easter and then received communion on Mercy Sunday that “the floodgates of mercy” would be opened and you would receive a grace tantamount to a “second baptism” that is, forgiveness of all sins and temporal punishment. In essence, it would give you a clean spiritual slate unlike normal confession where there is typically residual temporal punishment to atone for. The promise of Divine Mercy Sunday does not admit the need for perfect contrition only that you validly receive confession and communion the week of Divine Mercy Sunday. This is a special grace that is distinct from the typical plenary indulgence that is not effected unless one has achieved repentence free of all attachments to sin. So, is Divine Mercy Sunday, merely another plenary indulgence or is it truly unique insofar as it offers complete remission of all sins and punishment without the need of total detachment from sin?

Canon Ignacy Rozycri, Doctor of Dogmatic Theology appointed by Pope john Paul 2 to examine the revelations concluded that the extraordinary grace promised by Jesus on the Feast of Mercy is a gift of grace equalled only by the grace of holy Baptism alone, which means that on this day your soul can become as clean as a new born after Baptism, so that if you died immediately after receiving this grace on the Feast of Mercy you would go straight to heaven with no purgatory to serve at all. (The feast is the Sunday after Easter)

The requirements are Communion and Confession, the later 7 days before ot after according to the Canon, these with trust in God’s mercy.
The sermon/homily should be on Divine mercy; we should contemplate the Mystery of Redemption as the greatest revelation of God’s mercy to us.
One should have completed a novena of Divine Mercy chaplets begun of Good Friday; and we should have done acts of mercy towards others. We honour God’s mercy and express our trust in Jesus.

Pope John Paul 2 instituted the Feast of Mercy.

Thank you for your answer.

I am on the Divine Mercy Cenacle for my archdiocese which has as its mission, the spread of Divine Mercy. Divine Mercy is so much more than a devotion, in essence, it is a way of life.

The feast of Divine Mercy was officially established for the universal Church by a decree of the Vatican Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments on May 5, 2000.

For those who celebrate this feast in accord with the norms established, a plenary indulgence is granted. A plenary indulgence is the remission of all temporal punishment due to sin, committed up to that time. i.e., no purgatory.

To receive a plenary indulgence, one must go to confession within the octave of the feast, attend mass, receive Communion, say the required prayers for the Holy Father, and must be free from attachment to sin., i.e., be without sin. This is why so many of the celebrations of this feast have a number of priests continually hearing confession for those who are there.

In the private revelations to St. Faustina, approved by the Church, as recorded in her diary on three separate occasions, the following are the words of Jesus as spoken to St Faustina. The paragraph numbers are listed:
#300 - “Whoever approaches the fountain of life on this day will be granted complete forgiveness of sins and punishment.”

#699 - The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion will obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment."

#1109 - “I want to grant a complete pardon to the souls that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion on the Feast of my Mercy.”**

It is important to realize that a plenary indulgence only removes temporal punishment for sins of your past lives and does not apply to sins that may be committed in the future. The abundance of God’s love for us is so far beyond our understanding so as to be mind boggling. I will close with one last statement taken from St Faustina’s diary, taken from paragraph # 1578. It is a direct quote from Jesus to her about trust in his mercy (not presumption in his mercy)
#1578 - The graces of my mercy are drawn by means of one vessel only, and that is trust. The more a soul trusts, the more it will receive. Souls that trust boundlessly are a great comfort to me, because I pour all the treasures of my graces into them. I rejoice that they ask for much, because it is my desire to give much, very much." **

Prayers & blessings
Deacon Ed B

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.