Is the hell physical or mental?

If we have no more a body once we die how is possible to have a hell where we suffer physically speaking?
Could be that the hell is more of a mental or spiritual thing in the sense that we can not be near God?:confused:

Until the final Judgement, the soul suffers. At the Final Judgement, the condemned will be thrown body and soul–this is post resurrection–into “the Lake of Fire prepared for the Devil and his angels”.

It must be that the soul can suffer all the torments of Hell. But “the resurrection body” (a corrupted body for the condemned) will suffer also, after the Final Judgement. This body is indestructible, so it will be worse than our present bodies suffering.

Hell sounds like such an unfathomably, unimaginably horrible place. St. Faustina said she would have died just seeing the torments of Hell, but the hand of God preserved her.

Lord, Have Mercy on Us.

When we die the body rot away so how is then possible to get it back from that condition in order to get it to hell?
How did you work out that the body is indestructible?:confused:

I’m wondering as to what people will say here, too. :popcorn:

At the time of our bodily death our body and soul are separated. At this time we will be judged and our soul will be sent to one of three places: heaven, purgatory (eventually to go to heaven), or hell.

At the time of the Final Judgment our bodies are resurrected (now incorruptible) and reunited with our souls. We are judged again, this time so that all may know our fate (the same fate as our original judgment), and our bodies and souls are sent to heaven or hell for all eternity.

I have pondered this matter as well, as I figured Hell in the truest sense is complete absence from God forever, something most horrifying and tormenting on the psychological level, and therefore on the spiritual level as well, so why would literal Hellfire be necessary?

BUT it has been made known to me by my to-be priest little brother that I am in err by supposing such things. Apparently Hell will be literal, physical descriptions and all.

Not to belittle Hell by any means, but I can imagine after dying being in total darkness forever, crying out, begging to not be left here, no sensory input, like a brain without a body, feeling as though never existed (despite awareness), as very horrific by itself.

Biblical description of Hell though is still terrifying.

Blessed John Paul II

Hell is the State of Those who Reject God

At the General Audience of Wednesday, 28 July 1999, the Holy Father reflected on hell as the definitive rejection of God. In his catechesis, the Pope said that care should be taken to interpret correctly the images of hell in Sacred Scripture, and explained that “hell is the ultimate consequence of sin itself… Rather than a place, hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy”.

1. God is the infinitely good and merciful Father. But man, called to respond to him freely, can unfortunately choose to reject his love and forgiveness once and for all, thus separating himself for ever from joyful communion with him. It is precisely this tragic situation that Christian doctrine explains when it speaks of eternal damnation or hell. It is not a punishment imposed externally by God but a development of premises already set by people in this life. The very dimension of unhappiness which this obscure condition brings can in a certain way be sensed in the light of some of the terrible experiences we have suffered which, as is commonly said, make life “hell”.

In a theological sense however, hell is something else: it is the ultimate consequence of sin itself, which turns against the person who committed it. It is the state of those who definitively reject the Father’s mercy, even at the last moment of their life.

Peace

The soul can suffer just as much or even moreso than the body. Hell is a metaphysical place, however, so it doesn’t have a location in our universe. Some consider it to be a mental state. However, after the second coming, all souls will be reunited with their bodies.

Because God is all powerful and can do what He wants. He can “reassemble” your body from the dust, or just make it appear. God can do anything that is logically possible, even things that surpass what is possible in the universe.

I think this verse will help understand the resurrection.

John 5:29

I have been discussed this issue with my christian friends and we came at the conclusion that God can not put anyone in a situation of no-return like eternal punishment.
Suffering yes but with the end of it as the debt has been paid.
Eternal punishment is hate and God can not hate anyone.
Would you hate your son-daughter and give them eternal punishment?
Not really, whatever they have done.
Now how God can create someone that at a certain stage will fail with no hope of no return?
It is like an engineer that design a car that is not going to work?
We can not compare a human with God because God is perfect.
So how a perfect thing can do mistakes?
Of course he will not do mistakes that is why his creature at the end will not fail so bad to end up and rot in a hell.
I personally think that all the issue of hell has been interpreted wrongly.
It is said (but who said? Not Jesus) that you can only be saved through Christ.
Now how those who born before Christ could be saved?
Are they going to hell just because they miss the coming of Christ for no fault of their own?
Are those who never heard of him are going to hell?
Are all the people who born in a muslim or other religious environment going to hell considering that in many cases you can be killed if you change religion?
Is really God put so many people in this dreadful condition and then condemn them to a life in hell?
And what about people who may live in different planets who never heard about Christ?
Sorry to say but i think it is important to understand what the bible and the Gospels really mean otherwise we can render a terrible disservice to God.
Instead of helping people to get closer to God we push them away.
Take care:)

[quote=ricchetto] I have been discussed this issue with my christian friends and we came at the conclusion that God can not put anyone in a situation of no-return like eternal punishment.
Suffering yes but with the end of it as the debt has been paid.
Eternal punishment is hate and God can not hate anyone.
Would you hate your son-daughter and give them eternal punishment?
Not really, whatever they have done.
Now how God can create someone that at a certain stage will fail with no hope of no return?
It is like an engineer that design a car that is not going to work?
We can not compare a human with God because God is perfect.
So how a perfect thing can do mistakes?
Of course he will not do mistakes that is why his creature at the end will not fail so bad to end up and rot in a hell.
I personally think that all the issue of hell has been interpreted wrongly.
It is said (but who said? Not Jesus) that you can only be saved through Christ.
Now how those who born before Christ could be saved?
Are they going to hell just because they miss the coming of Christ for no fault of their own?
Are those who never heard of him are going to hell?
Are all the people who born in a muslim or other religious environment going to hell considering that in many cases you can be killed if you change religion?
Is really God put so many people in this dreadful condition and then condemn them to a life in hell?
And what about people who may live in different planets who never heard about Christ?
Sorry to say but i think it is important to understand what the bible and the Gospels really mean otherwise we can render a terrible disservice to God.
Instead of helping people to get closer to God we push them away.
Take care
[/quote]

Did you ever look at hell as God’s mercy? A soul that has rejected Jesus places itself in hell because to be in the presence of God is more painful than hell. All hell is is the absence of God. And that absence is an unfathomable pain of loss… physically and spiritually.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Concretecamper…Did you ever look at hell as God’s mercy?

Sorry but i find difficult to understand what you mean with…hell as God’s mercy.

A soul that has rejected Jesus places itself in hell because to be in the presence of God is more painful than hell.

I agree that to reject God is painful but how a person be in hell and be in the presence of God at the same time?
Again i find difficult to understand your logic.

All hell is is the absence of God. And that absence is an unfathomable pain of loss… physically and spiritually.

Yes. but physically speaking until you got a body.
Once you are dead you got to suffer only spiritually as the body is gone.

1. Did I say you can be in hell and in the presence of God at the same time?
  2. The resurrection of the dead is something Christians have believed for close to 2000 years. are you saying you reject this?

Concretecamper…1. Did I say you can be in hell and in the presence of God at the same time?

Well, when you say…A soul that has rejected Jesus places itself in hell because to be in the presence of God is more painful than hell.

What that suppose to mean?

1. The resurrection of the dead is something Christians have believed for close to 2000 years. are you saying you reject this?

Sorry i am not a theologian so i am not an expert in the interpretation of such a things written 2000 or so years ago.
What i do know is that Jesus has been a great inspiration to me and i do not think that what he said has been always interpreted the right way as the hell which we were talking about.

1. I cannot express it more clearly.
  2. The Bible says it and the greatest minds of Christianity have spoken about the resurrection of the dead. What have you found that sooooo manynothers have missed?

So, by your own admission, you are not a theologian nor an expert at interpreting what the Church has taught for 2,000 years.

But, regardless of these admissions, you don’t think that what Jesus said has always been interpreted the right way?

My friend, what then gives you this authority? Further, you put yourself in a place where you can correct 2,000 years of interpretation that you not know in the first place? :confused:

I think you had some troubles expressing what was in your mind.

On the other hand, I am happy that Jesus is a great inspiration in your life. Not only should He be your inspiration but your Goal as well. In this we are to do what His Blessed Mother Mary tells us: “Do whatever He tells you”. (John 2:5)

Just keep yourself in check before correcting the deposit of Faith given once and for all ages to the Apostles and the Catholic Church. (Jude 3)

Scripture says that there is only ONE unforgivable sin and that is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. But Scripture also says that it is a certainty that the Lake of Fire was made for Satan, the fallen angels, anti-Christ, and the False Prophet. And it also says that hell was created for the devil.

Perhaps some have overthought just how many actually are condemned to hell???

While Jesus Christ is The Way, can we say for certain how many and in which way he can offer salvation? After all, He is God and His Ways are not our ways. But their must be a point when you are covered under one of either covenant. My trust in our Lord is that He is capable of All-Powerful Ways to have that offered, beyond my meager human understanding.

That is a Just God. That is a God of loving-kindness. That is a God Who desires no one of His Creation to be lost. However, He did make Hell. He will make the lake of Fire. And some will so completely reject His Son, that sacrifice, after all that God offered time after time, their spirit turning away, that to be just to all they will be punished.

It is a sad and horrific idea. Yet, it says in Scripture that those who were in heaven at the time of this final judgement, we will take part in the formal sentencing. perhaps when evil is fully exposed it is so ugly we will understand .

Look, i am not an expert in understanding everything that is written in the Gospels however as far as i can understand i never read that Jesus ever talk about hell as an eternal punishment.
Not only that but no priest that i inquired has been able to explain me in a rational way how those who born before Jesus or those who never heard about him could be saved.
There is no point in changing argument and refer to other biblical references.
If you do not know just say so.
What’s the point in trying to mix everything up?

Mark 9:42 “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe [in me] to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were put around his neck and he were thrown into the sea. 43If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed than with two hands to go into Gehenna, into the unquenchable fire. 45And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life crippled than with two feet to be thrown into Gehenna. 47And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. Better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into Gehenna, 48where ‘their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.’

Peace

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.