Is the Holy Spirit only initially received through baptisim?

Can someone help me with questions about the Holy Spirit?

A post from quite awhile back in ‘Ask the Apologist” answered this in response to** ‘are we born with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?’ (sorry – I don’t know how to link a post): ***Due to the effects of original sin we are **not born with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. *The Catechism of the Catholic Church states, “The human body shares in the dignity of “the image of God”: it is a human body precisely because it is animated by a spiritual soul, and it is the whole human person that is intended to become, in the body of Christ, a temple of the Spirit” (CCC 364, emphasis added).

**But, the Catechism also says this: * ***“The desire for God is written in the human heart, because man is created by God and for God; and God never ceases to draw man to himself.” (CCC 27) Faith, through the free gift of grace, is man’s response to God’s call.

My questions:

[list=1]
]If we are not born with the Holy Spirit as the first answer above says, then how can ‘the desire for God be written in his human heart’*, and how can he be drawn to God and ‘through the free gift of grace respond to God’s call’, if not by the Holy Spirit working within him, as CCC 27 (the second paragraph above) seems to imply?
*]Do non-Christians and non-baptized Christians (many are so vibrant in their faith and love for Jesus) not have the Holy Spirit in them? If not, how can their faith be so strong, or in the case of non-Christians, how can they be so Christ-like if not for the power of God working in them? Isn’t this ‘power’ the Holy Spirit?
*]If we are made in the image and likeness of God, doesn’t God dwell in all of us to a certain extent (i.e. – the Holy Spirit). Does baptism just increase this indwelling in us?
[/list]

Image you have a house. You are there alone.
There is a book of things to do, and things not to do on the coffee table

You recieve a call on the phone, it’s the Holy Spirit. He wants to come over and live there.

He’s not there right now, but will be as soon as you invite Him. He will also help explain the Book, give it context and guide you in following the instructions.

The empty house is your soul. The book is Natural Law, the law written on our hearts.

The ‘phone call’ is preveliant Grace. A calling from God. Without that call, our house will remain empty.

But God calls everybody, and will live with those who accept him.

It’s a rough analogy, but hopefully it will help you understand the difference between Grace and Indwelling

That’s a good analogy - thank you. It helps a lot.

But I guess it still leads into question 2 and 3 above…is the only way the Spirit enters us initially is through baptism or can it happen other ways…how…which I guess again leads to questions 2 & 3 above…?

2 and 3 are the Spirit acting ON and person, not dwelling IN them.

That occurs through Baptism

Specifically for #3, God gave us Free Will, and God will not go where He is not invited.

He will call us, He will act on us, He might even visit. But He does not dwell in us without our consent

:thumbsup:
**Catechism of the Catholic Church

2001** The preparation of man for the reception of grace is already a work of grace. This latter is needed to arouse and sustain our collaboration in justification through faith, and in sanctification through charity. God brings to completion in us what he has begun, “since he who completes his work by cooperating with our will began by working so that we might will it:”

2002 God’s free initiative demands man’s free response, for God has created man in his image by conferring on him, along with freedom, the power to know him and love him. The soul only enters freely into the communion of love. God immediately touches and directly moves the heart of man. He has placed in man a longing for truth and goodness that only he can satisfy. …

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.