Is the Liturgy/Missal changing?

I heard that it is and that a new missal will be released.

Does anyone know when? I need to buy a missal, but if it will change, I’ll wait.

Also, will the change be nation-wide?

yes you will have to buy a new missal but they won’t be available until the fall, probaly Oct 1. The revised translation will take effect on NOv. 27.

Right - I heard Advent '11.

Thank you!

I’ll wait until then. Our priest wanted to start making changes so that it wouldn’t be a sudden change (isn’t it only going to be a small change anyway)?

He wants us to start genuflecting before receiving the Eucharist. Is this one of the changes to take place as well?

The Mass itself is not actually changing. As you probably know, after Vatican II, the Church revised the Mass to incorporate things like more Scripture and more participation from the congregation. They published the “official” Mass in Latin, so that that base text could then be translated into vernacular languages. It is the English translation of the Mass, not the underlying Mass itself, that is changing. The process of correcting our current (1969-70) translation has been going on in fits and starts since about 1975. In 2001 John Paul II issued a directive (Liturgiam Authenticam) calling for the development of uniform principles for national translations and a more rigorous attitude toward accuracy. The upcoming changes for the English-speaking world reflect the end of a 10-year process of doing that.

In the United States, the new translations are scheduled to come into use on November 27, the first Sunday of Advent, which is the start of the liturgical year. In England, it looks like this will happen sooner, in September. The U.S. bishops’ conference has a very useful page (here) showing all the changes to the people’s parts (under Sample Texts), along with lots of additional information and explanations.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

The sign of reverence to be given before receiving Communion is to be determined by your national bishops’ conference, and does not have anything to do with the translation. The translation itself does not involve any changes to rules about standing/kneeling, receiving Communion, what music can be used, or anything of the sort. It is just a new translation of the words of the Mass.

The only thing changing about the Mass is the translation. The structure is not changing. The changes take effect Advent 2011. Your priest should not be making ‘small changes’ in preparation for the change in translation, because the new translation is not to be used until Advent.

bmadamsberry,
you are correct for persons in the USA but the poster is in England. Its different there. Mark Thompson has posted the link for the English announcement.

Yup, you’re right. Sorry: I brought up the Reply screen a few minutes before I actually posted (before MarkThompson posted), resulting in the question being answered before my posting. Again, sorry, I wasn’t trying to correct Mark, I just didn’t realize he had posted.

England and Wales will roll out the revised translation in a two-step process. In September, the faithful will begin using the Ordinary of the Mass. In Advent, the rest of the Missal will be rolled out.

Thank you everyone for all of this. You have all explained it well.

And thanks for clarifying that. I was just trying to work it out lol. It’s a shame it’s so far away. I want a nice missal lol.

The Catholic Truth Society will have these available in the near future. It is my understanding that they will also print out Mass cards to help the faithful learn the new prayers.

Magnificat is also selling Mass cards.

Cool. There are new prayers in the Mass as well? Will the length of the Mass change you think then?

No, she just meant the new translation of the prayers.

Will the length of the Mass change you think then?

From what I know of test liturgies that have been done with the new translations, the length is the same. Of course, things may run a hair slower as people – especially the priests, whose parts have the bulk of the changes – get accustomed to saying the new words.

The current prayers are revised to conform more faithfully to the Latin original. They are not new, per se, just corrected. As for the length, I do not think that it would be mitigated.

Here is a link to the Catholic Truth Society’s webpage:

cts-online.org.uk/acatalog/ROMAN_MISSAL.html

No, again, there are not any new prayers in the Mass.

No, I don’t think this is an approved change for the dioceses of England and Wales.

According to a leaflet on Communion, at liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resources/GIRM/In_Communion/ICResources.html#Parish (under the heading “Parish leaflets” click on “5. Communion (PDF)”):

“… The Church asks us to make a sign of reverence as we go forward to receive Holy Communion. Our Bishops have stipulated that in England and Wales the sign we are to make is to process reverently together. This is a challenge! How do I process? Mindful and respectful of others? Or pushing my way to the front? Do I have a sense, as the Church encourages us to recognise, that this procession is something we all do together? …”.

So the decision made is that the sign of reverence is not to be a bow nor a genuflection. It is simply “to process reverently together”.

So I suspect you have a priest who does not like this decision and has decided to teach something else.

Another possibility is that the bishops have made a different decision, but the leaflet on the website has not been updated to reflect that. I think this is unlikely.

Thank you everyone again for your replies! Sorry I’m so ill-informed on this.

I really like my priest. He’s a convert though, so he does get a few things wrong sometimes.

Regarding the prayers- will even the Our Father be changed? Personally, I prefer ‘supersantial bread’ (the word that Douay-Rheim uses?) to ‘daily bread’. It gives it more of a special meaning.

No, the Our Father will remain the same. There was discussion about whether to change it (including whether to update the thee/thou language to modern speech), but it was decided to keep it in its current, well-loved form. Incidentally, the word in Latin is quotidianum, which means “daily.” As to the “supersubstantial” that appears in the Douay-Rheims, you can read more here and here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.