Is the media preoccupied with 'body worship?'

Images of women in bathing suits are everywhere. It’s body worship, I tell ya. Subtle, perhaps, but certain parts of the female anatomy have become fetishes, which are the direct result of body worship.

The same is true for muscular men, although not as obvious as it is for the female body worship.

It remind me of Moses and the golden calf that the Israelites had created and ‘worshiped.’ Just like God punishing the Israelites, so will he punish ‘body worship.’

This is a *rhetorical *question, right?:wink:

This is one of the problems I’ve seen in America. Being a male who is trying to keep custody of his eyes I must admit it’s difficult when it is literally everywhere. Not just TV shows but commercials, billboards, even the magazine rack in line at the grocery store. The clothes they are marketing are also a problem. It’s like they want people to be objectified. So yes, I do think things have gone overboard and I don’t think it’s going to get any better.

when I was at the grocery store sunday morning after Mass, when I was in the checkout line, I moved a copy of people or some other magazine, in front of a US Weekly that had a semi fat woman in a bikini on it…she was rather…well endowed…I was disgusted that the magazine was there in the first place.

And yes, there is an obsession…I get so annoyed at the diet commercials where a woman says “I went from a size 12 to a size 4”! or a “size 10 to a size 2”! That is just…

Its one thing to want to lose weight…but its another to lose too much just because you think you need to be SKINNY…look at people who suffer(ed) from Anorexia like Tracy Gold (Carol on “Growing Pains”).

Human beings have admired the bodies of the suitable gender ever since our ancestors walked the African savannah nude. There is nothing modern in this. The Roman era and Renaissance were full of explicit body images (and the 1800s were an overreaction to the societal effects of that).

“The media” are just promoting that which will help them make money, which is, after all their mission-- as opposed to teaching morality. It isn’t body worship, at least not as something new; it 's capitalism.

ICXC NIKA

I have not met anyone who actually thinks that bodies are divine entities, so no.

Do you know what body worship is?

Apparently not. Nothing in your OP suggests that the BDSM definition was meant, so I had to assume you meant theological body worship. Perhaps you mean something other than body worship, but at any rate you should define your terms better.

Body worship is any practice of physically reverencing a part of another person’s body, and is usually done as a submissive act in the context of BDSM. Typical kinds of body worship include worship of muscles, the penis, the vagina, or the buttocks. Body worship is popular among people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
-Wikipedia

This is what I mean by body worship, less the overt BDSM. This includes covert body worship where people may no be fully aware that what they are engaging in is body worship.

I just do not think it is happening. I have never heard anyone express anything that could be considered body worship. Do you have any evidence for your theory?

Common sense that if people are gaping at photos or actual human bodies, that’s body worship (by definition). The media, of course, will NEVER call it ‘body worship,’ and therefore you are doubtful.

Body worship is any practice of physically reverencing a part of another person’s body, and is usually done as a submissive act in the context of BDSM. Typical kinds of body worship include worship of muscles, the penis, the vagina, or the buttocks. Body worship is popular among people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
-Wikipedia

Again, I am a bit confused:

[quote=Wiki]Body worship is any practice of physically reverencing a part of another person’s body… Usually accompanied by prostration, re-enforcing a sense of inferiority, a “sub” generally licks, kisses and sucks their dominant’s body part, and is not allowed to touch it in a more conventional way.
[/quote]

This is the definition of body worship that is available on Wikipedia. An alternate definition would be literal worship of the body as a deity.

You suggest something else entirely, but feel compelled – for some reason that entirely escapes me – to label your phenomenon “body worship.” At no point have you suggested or proven any link between pictures of Victoria’s Secret models in lingerie and sexual fetishes involving particular parts of the body, and you deny that literal worship is involved. So please define body worship. Do you simply mean lusting? If your complaint is that people ogle scantily-clad hotties, of course. This is nothing new. Nor does it require a term like “body worship.”

You might want to consider a less-literal understanding of “worship.” In the sense that it is being used here, our society most certainly engages in “body worship” - the glorification of the slim, the “buff,” the gym-toned figures. We also engage in “celebrity worship,” alleged “news” about the stars of the moment infesting what should be real journalism. But no one is suggesting that altars are being built to worship, say, Angelina Jolie.

The ‘deity’ and the ‘worship’ are implicit! As I said in the OP, these constructs are ‘subtle.’ Again, these implicit constructs are akin to the worship of the Golden Calf during the giving of the 10 commandments.

We as a society suffer from multiple types of idolatry. Body worship, food worship, comfort worship…the list could go on and on. This does not mean the literal adoration as a deity as a previous poster suggests, but is more sinister in that the person who is subject to it often does not know that they have a problem. This is also connected with the concept of addiction. Not necessarily chemical addiction, but rather emotion addiction. You’ve seen men who salivate over a fancy sports car the way other men crave nude pictures of women. We all do it to some degree or another with various things. It can get to be a problem if we are not careful.

I agree that a less-literal meaning is meant; my question was why this phenomenon had to be called “body worship” rather than “lust for the body,” which it clearly is.

Again, I say that makes no sense. The Golden Calf involved actual paganism and actual worship. What you are describing does not. If you want to use “body worship,” that is fine, but at least explain precisely what that means in your view. You have not done so.

Vagueness and sensationalist terms are tools of a demagogue, not those of a legitimate social critic.

Yes, I see where your coming from, and I must say that ‘body worship’ is a term that I’m using to describe, if you will, ‘body adoration.’ If you want proof of my terminology, your correct in saying that I’m lacking. Again, like with you, it’s not a term that the media would ever admit to. God alone ought to be adorned, and I believe that the ‘body adoration’ often interferes and competes with true adoration of God. Maybe you’ll agree that ‘body adoration’ takes a middle ground between ‘body worship’ and ‘lust of the body,’ and accurately describes what I refer to as ‘body worship.’

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.