Is the NAB based on the Latin Vulgate?

I thought that the Church’s official Bible was the Vulgate. I also know that the NAB version is the required version here in the US. However, when I looked up one of my favorite O.T. verses, I found a discrepency. There is a verse in Ecclesiasticus (Sirach) in which the two translations do not match. Here:

NewAdvent’s translation:
Strive for justice for thy soul, and even unto death fight for justice, and God will overthrow thy enemies for thee. (Chapter 4, Verse 33)

USCCB :rolleyes: translation:
Even to the death fight for truth, and the LORD your God will battle for you. (Chapter 4, Verse 28)

What is up with that? I read somewhere that there are mismatched verses between Catholic and Protestant Bibles and that many postconciliar translations embraced the Protestant version rather than the historical Catholic one.

No, the New American Bible is translated from the original languages, not from the Vulgate.

[quote=JSmitty2005]I thought that the Church’s official Bible was the Vulgate. I also know that the NAB version is the required version here in the US.
[/quote]

More precisely: The New American Bible is the translation approved for liturgical use in the US. For private devotion and study you may use any translation of your choosing.

tee

I’m not so sure that we should even consider the NAB to be a “translation” at all… :frowning:

[quote=tjmiller]I’m not so sure that we should even consider the NAB to be a “translation” at all… :frowning:
[/quote]

HAHAHA! I totally agree. I think it’s garbage.

I think it’s garbage, too!
But I try to be more diplomatic about it… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=tjmiller]I think it’s garbage, too!
But I try to be more diplomatic about it… :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Are you aware that the NAB is used in all American Catholic masses? Apparently there are not many who share your opinion.

Many people complain of errors in this version. I double-check the NAB against www.biblegateway.com when I am not sure of it’s translation. I understand the the NAB is currently going through a revision. We’ll see what it’s like after that.

Subrosa

The NAB is no longer used for Mass readings in the USA. :nope:

[quote=tjmiller]The NAB is no longer used for Mass readings in the USA. :nope:
[/quote]

:hmmm: …?

Can you elaborate? What unorthodox and unapproved translation is Archbishop Chaput promoting in your area!? :confused:

tee

[quote=tee_eff_em]:hmmm: …?

Can you elaborate? What unorthodox and unapproved translation is Archbishop Chaput promoting in your area!? :confused:

tee
[/quote]

The readings from the Mass are not from the NAB per se. They are from an edited version of the NAB. The NAB unfortunately has a number of problems with inclusive language (using words like “people” instead of “men” and things like that). The big problems were in cases where the translators changed the word “he” to the word “God” to avoid refering to God in the masculine. The Vatican would not approve these translations for the Mass. The translation used is a modified version of the NAB.

Originally, it was not possible to purchase a Bible that had the same readings as the Mass. Now, however, it is possible. The NAB St. Joseph edition has all of the modifications used for the Missal in it.

[quote=tjmiller]The NAB is no longer used for Mass readings in the USA. :nope:
[/quote]

Hi TJ! :wave: -

Are you sure? According to the USCCB it is!

usccb.org/nab/faq.htm

1. Is the New American Bible

the only translation of Scriptures we can read from at Mass?

After May 19, 2002, the revised Lectionary, based on the New American Bible will be the only Lectionary that may be read at Mass, except for the current Lectionary for Masses with Children which will remain in use.

Subrosa

[quote=Lazerlike42]The readings from the Mass are not from the NAB per se. They are from an edited version of the NAB. The NAB unfortunately has a number of problems with inclusive language (using words like “people” instead of “men” and things like that). The big problems were in cases where the translators changed the word “he” to the word “God” to avoid refering to God in the masculine. The Vatican would not approve these translations for the Mass. The translation used is a modified version of the NAB.

Originally, it was not possible to purchase a Bible that had the same readings as the Mass. Now, however, it is possible. The NAB St. Joseph edition has all of the modifications used for the Missal in it.
[/quote]

So it is, right? The modified version is still the NAB, right? I’m sooo confused! :whacky:

DUH!

The modified version is basically the NAB. For the most part, they just took out the word “God” in a few places, or the phrase “brothers and sisters,” and replaced it with the word “He” or “brothers.”

Note that they do not have a problem with the phrase ‘brothers and sisters’ when it is supposed to be referring to all Christians. They only replaced it with “brothers” when it was in the context of referring to the Apostles.

So yeah, you can say it is the NAB.

[quote=Subrosa]Are you aware that the NAB is used in all American Catholic masses? Apparently there are not many who share your opinion.

Many people complain of errors in this version. I double-check the NAB against www.biblegateway.com when I am not sure of it’s translation. I understand the the NAB is currently going through a revision. We’ll see what it’s like after that.

Subrosa
[/quote]

To complain of errors, implies a standard in contrast with which the error can be seen to be an error - what is the standard:

[list]
*]An edition of the Vulgate ?
*]A translation of the Bible ?
*]A commentary ?
*]An edition of the Hebrew or Greek ?
*]- or what ?
[/list]Difference from what one is familiar with, is not error - as such, it is difference; not wrongness.

I think some of the decisions about which parts of the text are later additions to various books could have been left to a proper commentary, but it’s not easy to adopt a consistent policy on this matter: that’s the problem with translating something that is both
[list]
*]A body of ancient texts
[/list]and
[list]
*]a sacred literature
[/list]which has
[list]
*]many sacred associations
[/list]which is why
[list]
*]there will always be criticisms, of any translation ##
[/list]

Try our NRSV up here in Canada, eh? Not even Catholic :nope:…

It does? What version of the Psalms does it carry? The original 1970 or the 1991? Could you please quote Psalm 1:1 from your copy?

thanks

[quote=Lazerlike42]The modified version is basically the NAB. For the most part, they just took out the word “God” in a few places, or the phrase “brothers and sisters,” and replaced it with the word “He” or “brothers.”

Note that they do not have a problem with the phrase ‘brothers and sisters’ when it is supposed to be referring to all Christians. They only replaced it with “brothers” when it was in the context of referring to the Apostles.

So yeah, you can say it is the NAB.
[/quote]

It would appear that the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine says it is the NAB, and I believe they are the ones who get to decide, so: Yeah. :ehh:

tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.