Is The Nicene Creed ("Rarely") Recited In Your Parish?

I’ve taken note for some time now not only my home parish but others as well in my Archdiocese that the Nicene Creed is often omitted during the Liturgy after the Liturgy of the Word and Homily. This happens not only during Lent but in Ordinary time as well.
It has become nothing new to me to see the length of Mass times on weekends shortened out of expediency or convenience so as not to cause parishioners weary during Mass times, so that it not exceed an hour out of their Sunday leisure. Granted some parishioners are forced to work on Sundays. But why omit a beautiful prayer that reflects the rich professing of our Faith?

Has anybody here experienced this or am I an oddball in the crowd?

In my parish its always recited every week.

The rarity comes when its omitted.

Even with the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed being recited, Mass shouldn’t take over an hour. Either he’s preaching way too long or there’s way too much music.

I rarely hear the Nicene Creed in Canada unless I’m attending a French Mass, but we rarely omit the Apostles Creed at a Sunday Mass.

Is the Apostles Creed recited instead of the Nicene Creed? Or is there no profession of faith at all?

Sometimes if the readings are very long, the Apostles Creed will be printed on the missalette instead as it is somewhat shorter - it doesn’t save more than a few seconds when it is recited instead of the Nicene Creed, but it’s a bit of a space-saver on the missalette…

There really is no excuse for not reciting the Creed on days when it is compulsory to do so. Even if the priest were concerned about the length of the Holy Mass, cutting out the Creed isn’t going to make a whole lot of difference - I just timed myself reciting the Nicene Creed, not rushing, and it took about 1.25 minutes…I dread to think what would happen if your priest was celebrating Mass in Ireland where a 45 minute Mass is considered long by many!

To answer your question: no, I have never experienced a consistent and deliberate omission of the Creed…It is a central part of Sunday Mass, and you and every other member of the faithful has a right to have the Sacred Liturgy celebrated according to the forms set forth by the Church, not according to the whims of individual priests.

During Lent when we have the “Scrutinies” for the RCIA the Priest will forget the Creed because the normal flow of the Mass has been disrupted. But I am sure it’s an oversight. Otherwise we say the Creed every Sunday, holy day, and even Ash Wednesday (when it’s not required).

The Nicene Creed is always recited or sung at the Sunday EF.

Here in the Philippines the Nicene Creed is never recited. At Mass we recite the Apostles Creed.
The GIRM only states that the Creed should be recited. It does not specify which one.

We say some form of the Creed every Sunday. Mainly the Nicene but occasionally the Apostle and for special occasions like Easter the Baptismal. We regularly go over an hour but no one seems to mind. Sometimes Father has to hustle after Mass to get to another but he doesn’t rush we simply leave announcements for after.

So in theory, could the Credo of the People of God be used?

Your reply made reflect on another article I had bookmarked:
(Substituting the Creed) ewtn.com/Library/Liturgy/zlitur154.htm

Yet even the article supplied had me asking why is it that when the Credo is recited that the preference often goes to the Apostles Creed rather than the original Nicene Creed?
The Old Creed: newadvent.org/cathen/01629a.htm

The Catechism of the Council of Trent apparently assumes the Apostolic origin of our existing Creed, but such a pronouncement has no dogmatic force and leaves opinion free. Modern apologists, in defending the claim to apostolicity, extend it only to the old Roman form ®, and are somewhat hampered by the objection that if R had been really held to be the inspired utterance of the Apostles, it would not have been modified at pleasure by various local churches (Rufinus, for example, testifies to such expansion in the case of the Church of Aquileia), and in particular would never have been entirely supplanted by T, our existing form. The difference between the two will best be seen by printing them side by side (Creeds R and T):
R. T.
R-(1) I believe in God the Father Almighty;
T-(1) I believe in God the Father Almighty Creator of Heaven and earth

R-(2) And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord; T-(2) And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord;

R-(3) Who was born of (de) the Holy Ghost and of (ex) the Virgin Mary; T-(3) Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary,
R-(4) Crucified under Pontius Pilate and buried; T-(4) Suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried;
R-(5) The third day He rose again from the dead,
T-(5) He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;

R-(6) He ascended into Heaven,
T-(6) He ascended into Heaven, sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;

R-(7) Sitteth at the right hand of the Father, T-(7) From thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
R-(8) Whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. T-(8) I believe in the Holy Ghost,

R-(9) And in the Holy Ghost,
T-(9) The Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints

R-(10) The Holy Church,
T-(10) The forgiveness of sins,

R-(11) The forgiveness of sins;
T-(11) The resurrection of the body, and

R-(12) The resurrection of the body.
T-(12) life everlasting.

No, because the GIRM does not exist in a vacuum. The Missal (in its third edition) directs the Creed is to be either the Apostles’ or the Nicene.

The Nicene Creed is said at least once a week in our Church
( 3 times actually Sat. night, 2 times Sunday) minimum.

Well, the Apostles’ Creed is older than the Nicene, so maybe it’s a desire to do the “more ancient” thing. (That can lead to antiquarianism…)

Or maybe it’s because the Apostles’ Creed is a simple formula of baptismal profession.

Or maybe it’s because the Apostles’ Creed is shorter and faster.

Piggy-backing on your first and second reasons, maybe it’s because the Apostles’ Creed is the local symbol of the Roman Church.

Still, I find it interesting that the Creed wasn’t used in the Roman Liturgy until the eleventh century. It’s a wonderful exposition of our faith, but I sometimes wonder if dropping it from liturgy would ease some of the *filioque *controversy. Either way, it’s only in a few situations that it is omitted.

Rarely ever have I seen the Nicen Cree ommited from the Mass.

We usually recite it, or the Apostle’s Creed. I remember it being omitted a few times before, but not on Sunday. We always recite the Nicene Creed during Lent, Advent, Easter, Christmas…

We say the Apostles Creed every mass without fail. It’s printed on the weekly newsletter.

Sometimes I attend another church a few kilometres and they always say the Nicene Creed without fail. Being a bit more affluent, tech savvy, and with a stronger commitment to liturgical effort, they use Powerpoint and a projector, but they never miss, as far as I know.

Personally I’d like to see the creeds alternate month by month, or year by year for example, so that I learn both.

As it is I can’t recite the Nicene Creed off by heart, for the simple reason the church I go to has always used the Apostles Creed. I’ve been pretty much going to the same church since I became Catholic.

So I’d like to see both used. I know I can learn it by myself, but weekly repetition would be useful.

Being hard of hearing, it’s taken me ages to learn most of the responses. When the community does its usual collective mumble, I have a lot of trouble picking out the words, unless a particularly clear speaker is sitting very close by. If the priest joins in with the microphone, no problem. But for me the responses are usually just a mass rumble.

Yep, that’s Canada for you. I can’t remember the last time we didn’t recite the Apostles Creed (probably the last time there was a baptism). I’m embarrassed to admit though that I probably couldn’t recite the Nicene Creed from memory. :blush:

I was probably taught it in one of the Confirmation/First Communion/First Confession preparation classes I took, but because we never recite it I never committed it to memory.

I’ve never been to a parish were the Nicene Creed was not ricited at Mass. It would be weird to not recite the Creed at Mass. I also assumed that it was part of the G.I.R.M., that you had to recite the Creed at Mass.
I think the liturgy should be the same no matter where you celebrate in the World. I guess I was born a century to late. Oh well. Maybe God is calling our generation to fix this mess and restore the sacredness and stability to the Sacred Liturgy. I think the Vatican 2 generation dropped the ball.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.