Is the number 666 associate with papacy?

Rev 13:17-18 are the famous verse in the bible which state the number 666 being the number of beast “satanic antichrist”. and that number can be simply derived from its name (name of the beast).

Protestants held in believe that the Pope’s hat has a title ‘VICARIUS FILII DEI’ whose lettrers are all Romanic numerals which together they make a total of 666… which lead them into a conclusion that Pope and Catholic church altogether are antichrist.

]How can i defend this!

From Wikipedia -

The title “Vicarius Filii Dei” appeared again in Our Sunday Visitor, a Catholic journal. An article in the April 18, 1915 issue of ‘Our Sunday Visitor’ had the following question and answer:

What are the letters on the Pope’s crown and what do they signify if anything?
    The letters on the Pope's crown are these: Vicarius Filii Dei, which is a Latin for Vicar of the Son of God.[6]

An example of a papal tiara. Contrary to some claims, no tiara has ever been inscribed with the phrase Vicarius Filii Dei.[7]

This has been used by some groups as evidence for the claim that the phrase appears on the papal tiara (see below). However, the writer of the article later withdrew his statements. A rebuttal was mentioned in a 1922 edition of the journal:

The Pope claims to be the vicar of the Son of God, **while the Latin words for this designation are not inscribed, as anti-Catholics maintain, on the Pope's tiara**.[7]

So to clarify the issue -

1. These words do NOT appear on the Pope’s “hat” or crown.

2. Some protestants have been making absurd claims about the Pope ever since the Reformation in the early 16th century. All they are displaying is their anti-Catholic bias and ignorance. Simple as that.

To understand the 666 legend, you need to go back to the ancient Jews themselves, and the way they interpreted numbers.

See this link -

catholic-resources.org/Bible/Numbers.htm

You’ll notice the symbolism for “6” Means “human work/effort (Luke 13:14); incompleteness,** imperfection, lack (not yet 7)”**, whereas “7” indicates “days in a week, sabbath rest (Gen 2:1-3); thus natural & divine completeness/perfection”.

Since a man is body, soul and mind (an image if you like of the Trinitarian God), then all “666” means is that the anti-Christ, despite being someone who seems to have all the answers and power that humanity demands, will in the end be simply a man, short of divine perfection in body, mind and soul.

The anti-Christ may seem impressive when he finally hits the newstands, but he’ll just be a man, another two legged ape, if the apes will forgive me. 666 has no reference to the Papacy whatsoever. That’s just a hoary old superstition put about by people who have an ideological aversion to the Catholic Church, and it dates back to the violence and polemic of the Reformation in the 16th Century.

Revelation was allegedly written by the apostle John, who was an ancient Jew, and who would therefore have still been subject to ancient Jewish modes of thought, just as you think like a 21st century Moslem, and not like a 7th century Moslem. Or at least I hope you don’t.

The number 666 is a cipher - that is, a number that corresponds to alphabetical characters. In this particular case, the number corresponds to Emperor Nero, who persecuted early Christians. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any pope and anyone who claims it does, doesn’t understand John’s Revelation. :rolleyes:

Side note- this is hardly a “Protestant held belief.” I’d venture to say that 99.9% of protestants don’t think that the pope is THE Antichrist. Those protestants that do believe that the papal institution sometimes acts anti-to-Christ believe so for very, very different reasons. I’d search the forums for more info. There have been many threads about it.

Many people just WISH, but they’ll be sorely disappointed later on…

No, no, no!!

There have been lots of “anti Christ’s” down through history (my humble opinion USA has one in the White House as we speak) but our current Pope is not one of them nor is he THE ANTICHRIST! He can’t be and be so pro life, pro family, etc.:thumbsup:

You have no idea of just how many things I have held associated with this number…there are mathematical tricks such that you can make anything related to this number…and besides, here’s what Christ said about the Pope:

you are Peter
upon this rock I will build my Church
the gates of Hades will not prevail against it
to you I will give the keys of the kingdom
take care of my sheep, feed my lambs

If we affirm the Vicar of God’s Son (Vicarius Filii Dei) is the Antichrist, then we are almost falling unto blasphemy, for what did Christ do?? Did He give to His greatest adversary all authority and the keys of the kingdom as well??? Come on…

I remember a Daffy Duck cartoon where Daffy was a bellboy in a hotel and Elmer Fudd was a guest in that same hotel. Seems Elmer was assigned to room 666 and Daffy was his bellboy. Elmer was very tired, wanted just peace and quiet but under Daffy’s watch he got any thing but!

From my understanding, Ellen G. White, co founder of the Seventh Day Adventists, stated that Vicarius Fllli Dei, was the title of the pope and it added to 666. Making the position that of the Antichrist.

The pope’s real title is vicaris dei Cristi. ironically Ellen G. White is what adds up to 666

Really! :shrug: It is the 21st century and many cannot seem to let the 16th century and its inaccurate accusations and biblical misrepresentations go!
I know the OP is Muslim, but let us Christians be better than this, because this stuff still flies around on the internet and I dare say on Christian radio from time to time.

i would like to dedicate grt thanx to all who participated to clarify as far as the post concern! i was born and raised in Islamic culture thus why i was Muslim but so far i have accept Jesus as the savior of my life… but i was in grt puzzle for several months in which church i should join…
i was exploring catholic faith from various soarces to findout the truth on the criticisms made by other churches towards herself including the one posted.
Glory to Lord that i have found relevant answers to each distrust i heard and read about the Catholic church and im doubtless.
Thanx Jesus, you are the one who lead me into your true church.
For now im confortable with Catholic church and im preparing myself for conversion but i don realy know how i will go about.
Pray for me please im going to experience great chalenge from the rest of my family once they discover that im not Muslim anymore.

Welcome home, brother! Certainly we will pray for God to lead you!:thumbsup:

thanx sir!:thankyou:

Umm… Even if Vicarius Filii Dei were the Pope’s title, that hardly adds up to 666 in Roman numerals. First off, let’s remove all non-Roman-numeral letters (so only M, D, C, L, X, V, I and S remain). VICISIILIIDI. Reorder to make the math easier. DCLVIIIIIIIS. 662.5. (Random fact of the day: S is Roman numeral for 1/2 and · is 1/12)

Furthermore, and in fact a first rebuttal, this is hardly a common Protestant belief. It’s only a small-ish subset of Protestant denominations who think the Pope is the Antichrist.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just as I thought. Protestants may not agree with us about the Popes but they are reasonable enough not to believe and impute such nonsense on the papacy. However the 0.1% have placed much misinformation about Catholicism on this topic, one is quite surprised that it comes from a very tiny minority.

Welcome home brother. May God continues to bless you and shows you the way on your journey of faith.

I just want to affirm you with these verses:

Luke 11:9-13
9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Allow the Holy Spirit to empower you and give you the wisdom to guide you toward your life objective.

Hi and thank you for being here and for your sincerity and kindness! The Church has something called the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults, where you basically receive some courses to better understand Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition, after which on a special day you will receive the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and First Communion. But the first step is to talk about it to a Catholic priest :slight_smile:

We will be praying for you. I have known men who have gone through similar conversions, and what I have always told them is: remember that your loved ones simply want the best for you, and no matter what, they love you profoundly. If they see that in Christ you have peace and you are joyful, deep in their heart they will be glad.

Christ did say that to follow him we may be challenged by our loved ones because they don’t necessarily see what we see. Even His own relatives, we read, did not believe that He was the Messiah (exception made of course for His beloved mother and for her chaste spouse). This is a common experience for Christians who want to be in full communion with the Catholic Church, or for those called to become priests or members of religious orders such as friars and monks. It is a common struggle, indeed. You are not alone.

Here are some sources for learning more about the Catholic Church:

We wish you all the best with your difficult decision. It’s certainly not going to be easy, and we hope and pray you’ll be both safe and stay in a close relationship with your family.

All the best.

I assure you, that if you dug deep enough into anything in new testament ‘scripture’ that is anti-anything you will find out that it refers to something associated with Marcionite Christianity. First off I can tell you for sure that your book (Revelations) says that the number is ‘the number of a man’ because ‘6’ was the day in which Adam was created. I don’t know who this man is that holds a number to his name which is ‘666’, but I do know a clue that has to be taken into consideration if you want to find the answer to this. This clue is that there used to be a letter in the Greek alphabet that has gone out of use. It is the Greek letter ‘F’ (pronounced as a ‘W’). It has a few different names, one of them is ‘di-gamma’ as it looks like gamma with the addition of another short leg. It held the sixth place in the Greek alphabet (just as it does now in the English alphabet!) and it did have the numeric value of ‘6’. Very many early Christians in fact had this Greek letter branded on their forehead because very many early Christians were slaves who fled their masters and when their masters got them back they branded this letter on them should they try to escape again someone could see that they were a run away slave because of the branding. The ‘F’ stood for “Fugitive” (I did say that the letter is now in the English alphabet!)

Take it from there, I know nothing more. I only bet my last dollar that it didn’t refer to the pope - unless you mean the pope of Alexandria, not the pope of Rome. The first popes of Alexandria were Marcionite, not Catholic. That is why the bishops of Alexandria are successors to St. Mark (Mark-ionite, followers of Mark). “Mark” in Greek has the same meaning as it does in English, a ‘mark’, such as for example, the ‘mark’ of ‘F’ on the forehead, or the ‘mark’ of the stigmata (the ‘st’ in stigmata was originally this same letter ‘F’ in the Greek word). I might add that most of these early Christian fugitive slaves were Marcionite Christians, not Catholic Christians. Hence, odds were high that if you saw a man with an ‘F’ (i.e. the number ‘6’) on his forehead in those days that the man was a ‘marked’ man, that is a Marcionite Christian. If I were to guess I would say that ‘666’ refers to the faith of those marked with ‘6’, the Marcionite faith - but I honestly do not know what or who ‘666’ refers to.

The Marcionite Faith did not encourage the return of slaves to their masters, but considered it a gospel teaching that those who hid escaping slaves and helped prevent their return to their masters were were doing the right thing. But the Catholic faith, wishing to gain the favor of the Roman Empire, did the opposite, encouraging slaves to return to their masters. Slaves were seen as necessary to the economic stability of the Roman Empire. The very idea that ‘FFF’ (‘666’) would be associated with Rome in any way would be unthinkable in those days!

In case the reader of this post does not know it, I should point out that the Marcionite faith is considered to be a heresy by the Roman Catholic Church. Also, one is not considered to be a true martyr though he dies for the sake of Christ if he is a heretic according to Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christian teaching.

I ask for the prayers of those holy martyrs who had an ‘F’ branded on them before they were killed during the persecution of Christians around the time of †177 A.D.!

Peace!

Thanks R_C!

I heard a couple priests explain “666” (one being Fr George Rutler of EWTN, Christ in the City).

7 is the # of God which is* perfection*. To the Jews to seven yourself is to swear an oath (see Dr Scott Hahn). Notice 7 sacraments (the perfect # of sacraments), 7 days in the week, 7 prime #, 7 salts in chemistry, the list goes on - 7 is reflected in many places.

If 7 is perfection, what is less than 7 is less in perfection: 6 is less than the perfect # of 7. However, Jews did not have superlative in their language (good, better, best) so when they said something they meant, they said it 3 times: Peter, do you love me?.. Lamb of God… Holy, Holy, Holy…

so to say 6 - 3x is something really rotten/bad/downright evil:eek:

Jesus set up his Church, complete with his prime minister, the Keeper of the Keys (whose job is to Feed my Sheep) of which Jesus is in control of despite what some may think.

Adding up letters in a name is neither here nor there in my estimation. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.