Is the orthodox church is union with rome?

Are they considered Catholics? What’s the difference anyways? I want to go to one near me but I’m confused about it. What about the byzantine church and what should I know before going to one, assuming they are Catholic?

There are Eastern Rite Catholic Churches in union with Rome and Eastern Orthodox Churches that are not. Liturgically, they are similar.

The Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches are not in communion with Rome. Rome considers the differences small, but the Orthodox Churches consider the differences larger. You should not receive communion if visiting an Orthodox Church.

There is another thing to know, though. There are Eastern Catholic Churches that are in communion with Rome. They practice the same rites as the Orthodox Churches (of which there are many) and have the same Divine Liturgy, but they are in communion with Rome and you can receive communion there. So there is a Byzantine Catholic Church, for example.

Great answer, Wesrock.

As was mentioned earlier, the Orthodox Churches are not in communion with Rome. The Eastern Churches in communion with Rome are known as Eastern Catholics.

There is a difference between Roman Catholics and the Orthodox but no difference with Byzantine Catholics and Eastern Orthodox (or at least there shouldn’t be).

The Byzantine rite is one of the ecclesiastical traditions of the east. A particular Church, the Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church for example, is a community of believers. A rite is how that community expresses their faith: liturgically, spiritually, theologically, etc. Before you go to a Divine Liturgy or Vespers of a Byzantine Church just realize that they are not Roman Catholic and do not practice certain things the same way. If you are visiting a parish that is in communion with Rome, as a Latin rite Catholic, you fulfill your weekly obligation and may receive the Eucharist and go to confession if you like. We love visitors so introduce yourself to the priest after liturgy.

You can definitely attend Liturgy or Vespers at an Orthodox Church and I encourage you to. Just be aware that the chances that you will be invited to receive the Eucharist are slim to none, especially if you are a Roman Catholic.

ZP

Not just liturgically, but also in theology and praxis!

Currently there are 25 branches of Roman Catholicism

Latin liturgical tradition:

Latin Church

Alexandrian
Coptic Catholic Church

Ethiopian Catholic Church

Eritrean Catholic Church

Antiochian

Maronite Church

Syriac Catholic Church

Syro-Malankara Catholic Church

Armenian

Armenian Catholic Church

East Syriac or Chaldean

Chaldean Catholic Church

Syro-Malabar Catholic Church

Byzantine

Albanian Greek Catholic Church

Belarusian Greek Catholic Church

Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church

Greek Catholic Church of Croatia and Serbia

Greek Byzantine Catholic Church

Hungarian Greek Catholic Church

Italo-Albanian Catholic Church

Macedonian Greek Catholic Church

Melkite Greek Catholic Church]

Romanian Greek Catholic Church

Russian Greek Catholic Church

Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church

Slovak Greek Catholic Church]

Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church]

lol. I’m more lost now. I guess I have to do more research. It’s just that I’m not a big fan of the charismatic movement in many parishes. I’d just liek to see what it is like in the orthodox or byzantine.

What’s the confusion? We’re here to help :slight_smile:

ZP

It’s just that I’ll have to figure what kind of orthodox church I have near me. There’s a byzantine church too I believe, but I’ll have to check their websites to make sure they are in communion with rome.

Where are you?

Las vegas NV. I googled some of them so I know there are some near me

Just came from there.
It being an international (or at least interstate) destination means you have your pick.

If you want to know the flavor of the Church you’re asking about, post the name and we can look it up in seconds.

Just a note to that - you are welcome to attend Divine Liturgy and/or other services at the Orthodox Churches - just don’t receive the Eucharist. Sometimes there is blessed bread or general anointing with holy oil (not a sacrament) and you can partake in both of those. At an Eastern Catholic Church, you could, of course, receive the Eucharist. I guess my point is - don’t shy away from the beautiful Liturgies/services of the Orthodox Churches. They are wonderful and as a Catholic you can certainly attend.

I have heard great things about Our Lady of Wisdom Italo-Greek Byzantine Catholic Church. They are a Church that is in communion with Rome.

As far as Orthodox Churches there are quite a bit to choose from. Let us know how it turns out!

ZP

There are three rites I know of today within the Roman Catholic Church (latin rite, ambrosian rite, mozarabic rite).

The churches you list are Catholic, but bot Roman Catholic.

In that case:

St. Gabriel the Archangel, by Sunset Park, Byzantine Catholic (Ruthenian liturgy).[my own parish]

Our Lady of Wisdom, Greco-Italo-Albanian, part of the same formerly Ruthenian diocese as St. Gabriel. They actually have a married priest.

St. Sharbel, Maronite

St. Barbara, Chaldean

There used to be a Romanian mission

The Melkites have a mission, but it’s sorting out logistics–6pm on Saturdays at St. Gabriel didn’t work.

Those are all Catholic. There are also

St. John the Baptist, Greek Orthodox

St. Paul, Orthodox Church in America

All Saints, Russian Orthodox (ROCOR)

St. Simeon, Serbian orthodox

St. Geragos, Armenian Apostolic

google also lists Romanian and an Ethiopian Parishes, but I just don’t know.

hawk

Our Paschal service especially is packed with people from all kinds of denominations. Actually it’s a huge blessing (though sometimes painfully present to endure) the events of Holy Week - every service is an opportunity to walk therough Christ’s last week alongside Him. But the Resurrection service is of course the joyous culmination. It might be the same services in an Eastern Catholic parish. But an Orthodox parish is really immersive during Holy Week. And as a bonus, our calendar doesn’t usually align with the West, so it won’t even interfere with your Easter celebration. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.