Is the Pope Catholic?

Is the Pope Catholic?

By Charles Lewis May 20, 2010 – 8:30 pm

Stop the presses! Cardinal Marc Ouellet, the primate of the Roman Catholic Church in Canada, has created shock waves across Canada by … reiterating conventional Church doctrine on the subject of abortion.

Speaking at a recent pro-life conference in Quebec City, the Cardinal said that abortion is a “moral crime” and that it is unacceptable even in the case of rape. That’s an extreme position by this country’s standards: Only about 5% of Canadians oppose abortion in all circumstances. But, as a spokesman for the Quebec City Archdiocese later pointed out, the Cardinal wasn’t saying anything new: Like many religious Christians, strictly observant Catholics typically regard all fetuses as carrying the divine spark of human life. And so they urge that the tragedy or rape should not be compounded by a second moral tragedy.

life.nationalpost.com/2010/05/20/is-the-pope-catholic/

I just saw the title-and I had to chuckle-

Do you mean to tell me that the pope is Catholic?! All my life, I thought he was a hindu! ;);):wink:

What else is the church hiding!!!

:wink:

I bet I’m the only person here who read the title and the first thing I though was “Spice World” :blush:

I’m glad that Cardinal Marc Ouellet is standing up for moral values here in Canada. It doesn’t seem to happen very often.

I don’t see how anyone is being muzzled. When anyone gets the public ear on a matter of importance, there are always those who challenge what is said. How should it be anything else in a society with supposed free speech?

Hahahahahaha you’re not alone! XD

I admit I don’t understand that reference. My first thought was the rest of a saying used when pointing out the obvious:

Is the Pope Catholic? Does a bear pfflt in the woods?"

Maybe that is just Alberta humor though.

Heh. I’ve heard that one before too (but then again, I do spend quite a bit of time in Alberta ;)).

The reference is from the movie “Spice World”. I can’t even say that I remember the context, just the joke.

I would say yes, the Pope is Catholic.

That was my immediate thought, as well…

Is the Pope Catholic? Does a bear pfflt in the woods?"

Maybe that is just Alberta humor though.

Actually, we say that even way down here in Rogers, Arkansas. :o

By the way, my dad told me the first part used to be “Is the Pope Italian?” and that people changed it after JPII was elected.:yup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.