Is the pope paid?

hola:
simple question: how much the pope makes $$$$, yesterday i watch EWTN and fr. Pakua was interviewing an ex protestant convert to catholisism and he was the leader of his own church and he was paid very handsomly.

I understand the after death benefits are terrific :slight_smile:

As far as I know the Pope gets no salary and no days off. He is given a small room near the ead of one of those old drafty buildings. There are some pretty pictures on the wall but they are not his. After the election he is given some white dresses and a few white beanies. Once a year a collection is taken by

the whole Church. We call it Peters Pence. He uses this money to send to disaster areas in his name. It is used for no other purpose.
One note…The entire Vatican art and museum is insured for 1EURO

st julie

Once a year a collection is taken by the whole Church. We call it Peters Pence.

Pheww, once a year, they make us do it once a week, however the contribution is probably far smaller. My church gets donations of about £1200 a week from the parishoners and this all goes to the diocese.

Also the Pope is paid nothing.

Peter’s Pence is a second collection, seperate from the weekly collection for the diocese :slight_smile:

[quote=st julie]As far as I know the Pope gets no salary and no days off.
[/quote]

He just took a vacation at Les Combes.

[quote=st julie]He is given a small room near the ead of one of those old drafty buildings. There are some pretty pictures on the wall but they are not his.
[/quote]

And let’s forget the summer residence (the apolstolic palace) at Castelgandolfo.

Then there’s the free use of that nifty little car.

And the helecopter.

And the plane.

And a personal secretary.

All the food he wants.

And someone to cook it for him.

Food, shelter, utilities, clothing, and transportation. Isn’t that what we spend our salaries on?

Mind you, he did take a $60,000/yr pay cut to accept the position.

Hi,

Where’d you get this information?

God bless,

Our local priest has a housekeeper who cooks and cleans, money for food and a car etc etc…Gets an annual holiday and health insurance, but he owns none of these things. If the world fell over tomorrow He would be totally reliant on his peoples generosity…as is the Pope.

Peter’s Penance is not taken in the whole Church. We in the Byzantine Churches to not have this. We have our standard collection. The second Sunday of the month there is a second collection for parish needs. There are then some Sundays were the collection is for the Eparchy, but nothing is collected for the Vatican.

Thanks for the info, ByzCath! :thumbsup:

[quote=Melanie01]Our local priest has a housekeeper who cooks and cleans, money for food and a car etc etc…Gets an annual holiday and health insurance, but he owns none of these things. If the world fell over tomorrow He would be totally reliant on his peoples generosity…as is the Pope.
[/quote]

My parish is really small…and this last summer my priest’s air conditioning went out completely…

I felt so sorry for him because he had to put it in the church bulletin, probably hoping for some extra donations or maybe for one of the parishoners to come forward that might be able to work on the unit.

To me, that would be a humbling, possibly embarassing thing to have to do.

According to a book called Pope-pourri, which is full of trivia about the Popes and the Saints, “The Pope’s annual salary expressed in US Dollars? $0”

-ACEGC

The Pope’s salary is zero.When a cardinal becomes a Pope,he becomes the succesor of St Peter,but he doesn’t recieve a pay.:nerd:

cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=15948

I would have thought that the fact that John Paul II died without leaving a penny in his will proves that Popes do not get paid…

If anyone’s feeling generous, they can give the pope some cash right now.

vatican.va/roman_curia/secretariat_state/obolo_spietro/documents/index_en.htm

Most (if not all), goes to relief efforts that the pope personally chooses.

Tour of St. Peter’s…$10

Good meal near the Vatican…$30

Hotel room in Italian Alps…$96

Being chosen by the Holy Spirit to be the leader of over a billion Catholics…priceless.

[quote=StCsDavid]Tour of St. Peter’s…$10

Good meal near the Vatican…$30

Hotel room in Italian Alps…$96

Being chosen by the Holy Spirit to be the leader of over a billion Catholics…priceless.
[/quote]

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.