Is the real presence based on the belief that ‘Apostolic Succession' gives catholic more spiritual power

Is the real presence based on the belief that apostolic succession gives catholics more spiritual power?

So non catholic can’t have the real presence or the same spiritual power of the holy spirit?

The REAL presence is based on the fact that as Catholics we take Jesus at His word. He said “THIS IS MY BODY”, “THIS IS MY BLOOD”. If He meant it to only be a symbol He would have said that. If He only meant for Mass to be a once a month remembrance than He would have acted like it was only that. HE HIMSELF said “those who eat my flesh and drink my blood will have eternal life”. Now that doesn’t sound like a nice little bit of bread/cracker and a sip of wine/grape juice to remember Him. I take Jesus at HIS WORD. He said it, I believe it.

Non Catholics don’t believe that Jesus gave full authority to His apostles to go out and do as He did. Jesus Himself gave them this power, this ability and this calling. That’s why He told them whatever YOU hold bound on Earth will be held bound. Whatever YOU loose on Earth will be loosed. So because non Catholics don’t believe in the Priest’s direct power from God Himself was given to Consecrate the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ they don’t believe that it can be the Body and Blood of Christ but only a symbol. Again I TAKE JESUS AT HIS WORD! This wasn’t a half-way passing on of the power of God this was a FULL SPECIFIC passing on of the power of God. Jesus could have said or done it any way He chose but because He said what He did and Did what He did I believe that to be His will.

1 Like

You might like to change your thread title to ‘Apostolic Succession’ rather than ‘apostate’ which means (roughly) heretic or traitor.

Just sharing don’t be angry with me:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/0d/77/3f/0d773f205ef6cd8bb93c6dd71d4823db.jpg

5 Likes

In essence, yes. The spiritual power spoken of is the charism or grace that is passed down by the laying on of hands:

1 Timothy 4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

So non catholic can’t have the real presence or the same spiritual power of the holy spirit?
[/quote]

No. Because only those properly ordained by the laying of hands, possess the gift. Therefore, only they can pass it forth. Since non-Catholics don’t possess the gift. They can’t pass it forth.

1 Like

Not just the Catholic Church, but Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches have valid Bishops in Apostolic Succession. This is why these Churches have all seven sacraments. Protestants lack valid bishops, and thus, have only two valid sacraments, Baptism and Holy Matrimony.

1 Like

Read the book “Eucharistic Miracles” by Joan Carroll Cruz.

Not sure what you mean by spiritual power but yes, only ordained priests with apostolic succession can confect the Eucharist. Being a lay person I am more at ease in using lay people language - only priests with apostolic succession can celebrate a valid mass and thus Real Presence in a process called Transubstantiation.

By the same token, Protestants do not have apostolic succession because they had lost it when they separated from the Catholic Church.

The Orthodox however still do as they are only in schism.

1 Like

No, what is required is DIRECT; Provable, Apostolic Succession which Luther the acknowledged Father of the Reformation forfeited when as a Catholic Priest he freely choose to become an agnostic and in SCHISM, abandoned the faith of his formation.

God Bless you
PJM

1 Like

The “Real Presence” or “True Presence” is not an emotion or thought process that is based upon the man-made invitation of Jesus into one’s heart. First, that is nonsensical if one is familiar with the totality of the scriptures. It is wishful thinking. Secondly, how can one know - with assurance - that it is really our Lord Who enter their hearts, or rather, a worldly or evil spirit? Since everyone who claims to have invited Jesus into their heart tends to separate from all other believers, how can that be the action of the Holy Spirit? The Holy Spirit is the Uniter - always and everywhere.

That’s pretty much the position YES!

Adding to what others have said, belief in the Real Presence can be traced back to the earliest Christians. Just one example from the Early Church Fathers:

Ignatius of Antioch: “I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the Bread of God, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I desire His blood, which is love incorruptible.” (Letter to the Romans 7:3).

Ignatius was a disciple of John the Beloved Apostle.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.