Is the rosary required

I've never said one. Have no idea how to so does that mean I'm not a true catholic? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

It’s not required, but many Catholics encourage it. I personally can’t really say it without feeling bored, or falling asleep. I don’t mean it in a bad way of any sort, but the repetition really gets to me.

There are some though like Padre Pio who used to say 30 - 40 rosaries daily :eek:

What exactly are you asking? Are you required to say the Rosary? or If you need a chaplet? If it’s the latter, not really it would be best but not a requirement.

If it’s the former, I believe it is a personal choice.

I pray the Rosary everyday but it is something that I have grown into. When I was younger I didn’t have much regard for it but now I don’t think my day goes well without it. I say a decade in the morning and another at night and at least one full chaplet during the day. If possible like Sundays or a day I am home I do 2 full chaplets.

Hope that helps

Considering the widespread use of the Rosary and the almost Rabid way in which some promote it, I don't think it is a stupid question at all. :thumbsup:

The Rosary, is one of the most popular, powerful and highly encouraged forms of personal devotion in the Church. But for all that, it remains a "Personal Devotion".

So - No it is not required that you own or pray the Rosary.

Peace
James

No, it is not required. It is a private lay devotion. The Church’s official prayer is the Liturgy of the Hours (of which is an extension of the Mass). Even the liturgy of the hours is not required among the laity. Overall though it is good to have a regular prayer devotion and the rosary is a very good one. Its also a whole lot easier to learn than the Liturgy of the Hours. I’d suggest finding one of those little rosary pamphlets at your parish and to pick out a regular part of the day to start the devotion. Go at it slowly.

You know the rosary used to bore me until I started taking what I call “rosary walks.” I just go for a walk in my neighborhood or a hike in the woods and pray the rosary while doing so. I used to try to lay down or sit on a chair to pray it and almost always fell asleep. Now I take a rosary walk almost every day and it has really made a significant impact on my prayer life and my relationship with our blessed mother and Jesus Christ. Praise God for the gift of the rosary.

If you want to start saying it, I recommend you go out and buy yourself a nice rosary (if you have the cash) and a little booklet that will help you pray it. To be honest, the only mysteries I have memorized are the Joyful and Sorrowful mysteries, so they are the only ones I pray. Anyway, I really do recommend it, but like others have said, it’s definitely not required. If you are baptized then you are fully Catholic.

[quote="Sierrah, post:1, topic:214146"]
I've never said one. Have no idea how to so does that mean I'm not a true catholic? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

[/quote]

prayer is required of all Christians, no it does not have to be the rosary, or any formal prayer for that matter, but we all must pray.

My family prays the Rosary, but I thought as a child that I was not supposed to be privy of those "Mysteries" because, you know, it's not a nice thing to be nosy! Talk about dumb! :o :p :D

Anyway, I learned to pray it some 4 years ago. I purchased a Rosary CD from a Catholic store and I listened to it all the time, until I learned to pray the Rosary on my own. Using an audio recording is probably one of the easiest ways to learn it.

Now, the essence of the Rosary is that it is a contemplative prayer. You announce the first Mystery, perhaps you read a short meditation on that Mystery, or even look at an image (painting etc) depicting that Mystery, and then you slowly pray the Our Father and ten Hail Marys, without rush, while allowing your mind to linger on that Mystery. Then, you go announce the next Mystery, read the meditation or watch the picture pertaining to that Mystery, and then start praying the Our Father and ten Hail Marys, again while allowing your mind to linger on (to contemplate) the second Mystery. And you continue like this, with the third, fourth, and fifth Mysteries.

The five Joyful Mysteries will guide you through the early life of Jesus (the joy of the Incarnation, that is our Redeemer being conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, being born of Virgin Mary, and his childhood among us).

The five Luminous Mysteries will guide you through the Messiah's earthly ministry. He is the light of this world, hence the name "Luminous Mysteries".

The five Sorrowful Mysteries guide you through Jesus' suffering and crucifiction.

The five Glorious Mysteries will guide you through the resurrection of Christ and the glorious fate of His Church after the resurrection (the sending of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, and the Assumption and Coronation of Mary who is the first disciple of Christ and essential representative of the Church, who first experienced that final, eternal victory and glory that the Church is destined to).

Ever since I learned to pray the Rosary in this contemplative way, i.e. contemplating the Mysteries, I never found it boring. I don't find it easy, either, because the emotions stirred up during that contemplation can be strong, consuming, and hard to deal with. It's like taking a journey through the life of Jesus Christ and of his Church.

Not required, but extremely powerful and effective.

The Rosary is the prayer of the Gospel. Remember, it’s only been in the last century that so many people could read and write. Previously, the vast majority were illiterate. So, the Rosary was a convenient way to pray the Gospels. It has all the highlights in the Mysteries. The Mysteries are like the “soul” of the Rosary. The prayers (Our Fathers, Hail Mary’s, etc.) are the body.

Can anyone explain to me why so many repetitions? I don't mean to criticize, but whenever I observe most people praying the rosary, it's like they are at an auction place:

Hailymaryfullofgracelordiswiththeeblessedartthouamongwomenandblessedisthefruitofthywombjesus*breathe*holymarymotherofgod...

That 10 times? Firstly, does repetition so many times actually matter in prayer? In the Bible no one appears to do anything like that. I just don't get repetitive prayers, it doesn't make any sense to me, so someone pleeeeeeease explain.

This article is for you: lifeteen.com/blog/for-people-who-cant-stand-the-rosary

somebody taught me to pray the rosary not long time ago. It might be like a repetition, just close your eyes and really meditate on the misteries or prayers, you will realize that you are really talkng to God, communicating with Him, asking Him for his mercy. Sometimes meditating upon those misteries can make you cry, just to realize how much Christ have suffered for us.
Once you really learn to pray it with full meaning and awareness, you will never leave it. It brings so much peace to your heart.

beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/Catholic/2000/08/How-To-Practice-Lectio-Divina.aspx

I have a difficultly repeating the Hail Mary, but there is great importance as a follower of Christ to be able to see His life and mission through His Mother's eyes.

So I take the Scripture passages that apply to each rosary mystery and I meditate on them through "lectio divina" then I say a pray to Mary asking her to pray for me now and at the hour of my death.

ainglkiss.com/ros/sr.htm

I have heard Fr. Groeschel (Ava Maria Radio online) with his rosary meditation:

youtube.com/watch?v=VafDRkuvGbQ

amazon.com/The-Rosary-Is-a-Place/product-reviews/B0010Z9D20/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

[quote="Several_Flies, post:10, topic:214146"]
Can anyone explain to me why so many repetitions? I don't mean to criticize, but whenever I observe most people praying the rosary, it's like they are at an auction place:

Hailymaryfullofgracelordiswiththeeblessedartthouamongwomenandblessedisthefruitofthywombjesus*breathe*holymarymotherofgod...

That 10 times? Firstly, does repetition so many times actually matter in prayer? In the Bible no one appears to do anything like that. I just don't get repetitive prayers, it doesn't make any sense to me, so someone pleeeeeeease explain.

[/quote]

It's a meditation, hence the repetition. The idea is not to rattle off the Hail Mary so many times that you increase your chances of being heard. The idea is to give yourself a way to meditate with something to help you keep from being distracted. You might consider it the Catholic version of "oommm." This is not that no one gets distracted while praying the Rosary, but the repeating of a certain number of prayers gives a space of time for meditating on a particular mystery in a gentle way, without an alarm sending you off to the next one and without your brain being so likely to stray off into who-knows-what. The prayers keep bringing your mind back to what you are about.

Another prayer like this is the Jesus Prayer (Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner) which might be repeated (with or without an Easter Orthodox "prayer rope", a sort of a Jesus Prayer rosary) literally thousands of times in a day.

Or confirmed! (a small nit, but some of us converts)

Ok it’s sort of devotion then…that clears my understanding. Thanks all. I never went to catholic school so my knowledge of some of the particulars is limited sometimes. I never heard of purgatory till my 20s for example so I’m always open to learning more. :thumbsup:

A Rosary CD is a great thing to have if you would like to learn to pray the Rosary.

[quote="lutherlic, post:15, topic:214146"]
Or confirmed! (a small nit, but some of us converts)

[/quote]

Yes...Eucharist and confirmation are the sacraments that complete Christian initiation.

Even non Catholics who were validly baptized are Catholic, whether they realize it or believe it. Having said that I understand what ya'll are saying.

they have beautiful versions on youtube of the Divine Mercy Chaplet.. Like the 3 o'clock prayer, which is just solemn and has a video; another one which is so beautiful Rich in Mercy, new version with a soprano that sings like angels and also the video is really powerful and painful at the same time. You should try it, but, not just repeat the prayers, but, think about each mistery, what Jesus went through, feel his pain, realize how much he has loved us to accept to die the way he did it.
For me, to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet is like a treasure, it is my refugee where i can ask the Lord to help me with the difficulties that we go through life and at the same time to be so thankful about so many blessings i have received.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.