Is the RSV-CI (Catholic Interconfessional) translation approved by the Church?

On the website, bible(dot)com, there appears to be a Catholic version of Scripture, Called the Revised Standard Version - Catholic Interconfessional edition. Is this different from the RSV-CE? Does it have the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur?

When I hear interconfessional, it sounds more like a group of denominations gathered together and produced something that didn’t offend any of them, but I’m concerned that it might not truly be a Catholic translation.

It’s the same as the RSV-CE. The RSV and NRSV are sometimes referred to as “interconfessional” translations as their translation and editorial board is ecumenical: Jewish, Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant scholars.

Compare this to say, the NIV or ESV which are translated mostly (if not entirely) by Protestants.

1 Like

Your national Bishop’s Conference will have a list of approved translations on their website.

In the US it is at USCCB.org/bible/approved-translations/index.cfm

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as the RSV-CI. It is really the RSV-CE

If you look at the licensing website for the RSV & NRSV bibles, there isn’t a RSV-CI.

http://nrsvbibles.org/index.php/licensing/

“Catholic Interconfessional” is just an informal name that some people give to the “Catholic Edition.” I could be wrong, but I think this was more common BEFORE they released the “Common Bible” edition in 1973.

The “Common Bible” is the version that includes the additional books the Orthodox use, like 3 and 4 Maccabees

1 Like

Awesome! Does that mean then that it contains the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur? The website doesn’t include any of the opening pages, but starts only at Genesis 1

considering that the RSV-CI doesn’t exist, yes the RSV-CE contains the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great, I really appreciate it!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.