Is the wide gate hell? Or purgatory?

Matthew 7:13“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many.

In this verse, Jesus speaks of a narrow gate and a wide gate. Personally, I think Jesus is comparing heaven and purgatory. Most people claim that the wide gate represents eternal punishment in hell. Do you agree?

Jesus is speaking of two gates. Is it two gates to heaven? Or two gates into the after life? If it is two gates into hell, why does Jesus, according to the popular interpretation, leave Purgatory out of the picture?

Do you believe that the vast majority of people deserve eternal punishment?

Here’s something else to keep in mind. The vast majority of people in the world are free. But the vast majority have committed crimes for which they have paid their fines to remain out of jail. A few are in jail, but they don’t expect to stay there permanently. Most in jail will be released. A smaller minority will be incarcerated for life and an even smaller minority will be executed for their crime.

Do yo see the parallel? Catholic Theology sees purgatory as a sort of spiritual jail.

*1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in Sacred Scripture: "Therefore [Judas Maccabeus] made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin."609 From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God.The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf of the dead:

Let us help and commemorate them. If Job’s sons were purified by their father’s sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.*

Is man more merciful than God? Some interpret this verse to mean that God destroys the vast majority of people in hell. Yet man forgives the sins of most and destroys only a small minority as punishment for their crimes.

Am I right?

More to the point… Jesus said that phrase at a time when there were no Christians.

Im not sure Mary or the apostles considered themselves Christians. Perhaps at that time the path to heaven was quite narrow…but maybe has widened in more recent centuries?

Still…doing the right thing is often considerably harder than not… so who knows?:shrug:

Hell.

Just think about all the evil in the world and all those that don’t believe in or care for Christ.

Most of whom have no real concept who Christ is. Can you really fault them? Is there really “full consent of the will” and “full knowledge”? I too struggle with the popular theory that the vast majority of the people that we love and know will be tortured with pain beyond imagination for all eternity. I have to hope that the Kingdom of God is ultimately destined to be greater than the kingdom of satan. Some theologians have entertained such hopes.

I would love it if most people go to Purgatory and then onto Heaven.

How many people in this world commit murder or adultery knowing how bad it is?

Jesus wouldn’t tell people to not go through Purgatory.

Purgatory and heaven are the widest. Hell is narrow as Jesus did not want that for his people.

Although I find your posts to have a lot of insight, I will have to disagree. Although God is merciful, how much of humanity will accept His mercy? Look at the world in the days of Noah. Noah had a 100 years to build the ark and only 7 others besides him entered. Is it God being unmerciful or the rest of humanity at that time taking His mercy for granted? And what of Lot? Was God being unmerciful when He sent His angels to rescue Lot and his family? Or were the inhabitants taking the mercy of God for granted?

The narrow gate refers to Jesus who helps us get to heaven. The wide gate is hell.

Yes, but it’s open until our judgement where we must embrace jesuz

The Bible tells us that the gate to hell is wide and many who go through it, to strive to go through the narrow gate to heaven.

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/how-we-teach/catechesis/catechetical-sunday/year-of-faith/theological-reflection-dudley.cfm

Further, the saints have echoed this same message, saints such as St. John Bosco.

Wrong

Read m post.

Wide Gate, easy path is the path and gate to hell.

The narrow gate, rocky thorny overgrown path leads to Heaven.

Most people I know are currently on the Wide path.

I am busy putting up road blocks for them. I pray God will work through me to divert them straight into a thorn bush on the narrow path​:pray::fire::heart:

Wherefore Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, And touch no unclean thing; And I will receive you. — 2 Corinthians 6:17:thumbsup:

MOST people I believe would go through purgatory before entering Heaven. Remember NOTHING impure can enter Heaven and I think most people have something that requires them to be cleansed PRIOR to entering Heaven.

Mathew 19:24
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

That is just a man who covets his money. This is further proof that the way to Heaven is narrow. Honestly I wish it were otherwise.Our Lord does not want this. He wants everyone to join him, but he will not stand in the way of those who choose to follow Satan and his demons.

Universalism – All are eternally saved.

Wrong, It denies the truth of salvation through Christ which means that a person decides to either trust in Christ or else he/she rejects Christ and goes to hell (John 3:16;3:36).

A good reason to look at the tougher odds rather than the easy ones is a no brainer. If you assume Heaven is the narrow way, you will be more inclined to be better prepared. We are looking at eternity here, not a weekend stint in the slammer. If… it did turn out that the highway to heven was in fact wide and you worked doubly hard, so what? But if your wrong… and you coasted…

Ok so now you may say, “Im not coasting, how dare you?” Well someone else reading this just might be coasting. If the way is narrow, and someone else kicks back… well you see where this is all going.

saintsquotes.net/selection%20-%20fewness.html this hyperlink will give honest service

If we die in a state of mortal sin we go immediately to Hell. Its too late after we die and stand before Jesus. Our destination is decided by the state of our soul at death. There is no chance after we die in a state of mortal sin to stand before Jesus and embrace him.

There are other saints, theologians, and even Church Fathers, who hoped otherwise. If we are 100% convinced that our spouses, children, parents, and other loved ones are most likely damned, as is the vast majority of humans including the majority of Christians, as some seem to believe, how could we muster the strength to do anything other than despair? It seems some people believe the decks are all stacked against us…and in a sense it seems like they are. I struggle with the concept that the kingdom of Satan is ultimately greater than the kingdom of God. It seems that the elect, for God’s own glory, should be greater than the damned. I sincerely hope so.

How many of us will cooperate with God? Include yourself in the question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.