Is the word Purgatory found in the Latin Vulgate?

Purgatory is one of the most interesting things to debate on and I always thought that the word Hades translates to Purgatorio when in Latin. Is this correct?

Purgatorio is a verb, not a noun. So Purgatorio deals with the act of “cleansing” or purgation, and not the venue of where it takes place. Purgatorium would be the noun for the place, but it is non-specific (Hades, would be specific).

I don’t think so. Here is a word searchable vulgate. The only word in the text that begins with “pur” is “purificatio” in 2Macc.
drbo.org/cgi-bin/s?b=lvb&q=Purificatio

Maybe I searched wrong…this was my first time to use this one. See what you can find.

Nope, and you won’t find the word “Trinitas” (Trinity), either.

Yes, I think you must have. Off the top of my head, I am sure there are references to, eg, royal purple, pupura.

A very handy bible search tool can be found at Biola University, the Unbound Bible. **Purgatorio *is not a verb I am familiar with, but if you go to the above engine, select one or both of the Latin translations as primary, and add the English Douay-Rheims as a third parallel translation, and search for “purg%” (the % is the wildcarding character), you will find many forms of the verb *purgo *“to cleanse, purify, et cetera”, and apparently also used as a euphemism for going to the bathroom (as still survives in English today – A purgative is another name for a laxative).

But, no: No references to a named place of purgation/purification.

:nerd:
tee

BTW, you can do this in reverse as well (the search function only searches the first selected parallel translation), I am pretty sure you will find that “Hell” is generally rendered in Latin as some form of infernum.

:nerd:
tee

Hi, Cisco!
Since I have not read the Latin Vulgate I cannot tell you that it does not exist; rather, I can surmise that it did not exist since the Vulgate was translated in the 4th century (The translation was largely the work of St. Jerome, who,** in 382**, was commissioned by Pope Damasus I to revise the Vetus Latina (“Old Latin”) collection of biblical texts in Latin then in use by the Church.–en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulgate) and the term Purgatory was introduced much at a much later date (While use of the word “Purgatory” (in Latin purgatorium) as a noun appeared perhaps only between 1160 and 1180, giving rise to the idea of purgatory as a place[7] (what Jacques Le Goff called the “birth” of purgatory),[8]–en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purgatory#History_of_the_belief).
I do believe that the Church saw the possibility of Purgatory in Judaism, specifically in what is called Sheol (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheol)–this realm of the dead lends itself to the understanding of Purgatory (a place where the souls are cleansed, since nothing impure can enter into Heaven).

Maran atha!

Angel

The word “purgatory” is NOT in either the OT nor the NT.

The name purgatory is given to the process of purification a soul goes through before entering heaven, and THAT process ** IS **mentioned in scripture even if the word “purgatory” isn’t there…

Why does it take place?

1. nothing unclean will enter it (heaven) Revelation 21:27. Therefore a process must happen to the soul between death and entrance into heaven. And since most people at death aren’t perfect, in fact most are far from perfect, and I’m talking about the soul that is saved, what then needs to happen to the soul between death of the body and the soul entering heaven?

What happens then, when does purification happen, and How does it happen?

1. That’s the purpose of 1 Corinthians 3:11-15 which will happen on “the day”… i.e. the day of one’s death, where the particular judgement by Jesus takes place for each soul. This process is done to us by Jesus. IOW we fully experience it but it is done to us not something we do. Our memory intellect and will are fully functional and being reordered to perfection during the process done to us, no matter how long Jesus thinks it takes. Otherwise heaven wouldn’t be heaven. It would just be a continuation of earth only with a bunch of disembodied souls that are not permanently perfected . That’s not heaven.
    [LIST=1]
    *]This process of purification is only for those who die in the state of grace. They are the one’s saved. Meaning those persons who die without mortal sin on their soul.

Since Paul writes under the inspiration of the HS John 14:25-26 and the HS gets His teaching from Jesus John 16:12-15, then we know it is Jesus, the one who judges ALL souls ever born who tells us, purification will take place after death of the body but before heaven…for only those souls that are saved. It’s not a process for the unsaved as the passage indicates. (the unsaved are those with mortal sin on their soul at death)
IOW, If one dies in mortal sin, forget purgatory. One won’t go to purgatory, they go immediately to hell as so many scripture passages warn of and teach.
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.