Is the world making an idol of Pope Francis?

I wanted to share this article by Elizabeth Scalia, who was recently on the CA radio program. I found it to be a great read!

*If Jesus lost “go, and now sin no more,” to the more enthralling “does no one condemn you?” Francis is being denuded of his qualifiers, too. Hence, “if someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will,” has been reduced to a blithe-sounding, “who am I to judge?” To a query asking if non-believers are barred from heaven, the pontiff’s long, thoughtful answer — which contained reminders that truth is not “variable and subjective” and that “God’s mercy has no limits if he who asks for mercy does so in contrition and with a sincere heart” — was whittled down to “obey your conscience.”

Just as the Gospel narrative loses depth of meaning when Jesus’ words are cut, the chopping of Francis’ words to self-actualizing soundbites serve only to haul his more complex and profound messages into the shallow water – a place suitable for wading but not for deep submersion.*

washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/wp/2013/09/18/is-the-world-making-an-idol-of-pope-francis/

-Mike

I wanted to share this article by Elizabeth Scalia, who was recently on the CA radio program. I found it to be a great read!

*If Jesus lost “go, and now sin no more,” to the more enthralling “does no one condemn you?” Francis is being denuded of his qualifiers, too. Hence, “if someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will,” has been reduced to a blithe-sounding, “who am I to judge?” To a query asking if non-believers are barred from heaven, the pontiff’s long, thoughtful answer — which contained reminders that truth is not “variable and subjective” and that “God’s mercy has no limits if he who asks for mercy does so in contrition and with a sincere heart” — was whittled down to “obey your conscience.”

Just as the Gospel narrative loses depth of meaning when Jesus’ words are cut, the chopping of Francis’ words to self-actualizing soundbites serve only to haul his more complex and profound messages into the shallow water – a place suitable for wading but not for deep submersion.*

washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/wp/2013/09/18/is-the-world-making-an-idol-of-pope-francis/

So far Pope Benedict has not said anything that is not truth. Is the world making an idol of him? I would tend to say maybe. Pope Francis came on to the world scence almost a unknown - where are last two Holy Father’s were already in the news within universal Catholic news. So the world can make him into anything they desire - that will advance whatever agenda they may have…and it has been done.

Satan may be using his stooge, such as secular zealots and uninformed media types, to turn Francis into false idol.

Very interesting article, thanks for posting.

I certainly think the mainstream media and the secular west have made an idol of Pope Francis. I hope they are proved wrong.

I certainly hope and pray that the world is not making the Pope into an idol of whom to worship instead of the true intended Father God Almighty.

However, as the world comes closer to its’ end, there will be false prophets and those who accept words from Satan as the words of God instead. They will twist his words into false meanings and try to corrupt the Christian faith from the inside out.

We must pray for the Pope and the members of the Catholic Church who may have a false and incomplete understanding of the words from the Pope to the public. We must keep ourselves in the Word of God, the Bible, to stay with the Truth at all costs.

Possibly, because of how outgoing and liberal he is. People like that. By liberal, I mean open to new discussions and ideas in discipline and tradition. Benedict felt very conservative to me.

I love to see the Pope Smile… He’s so joyful and inspires me to be happy with him!. God wants us to be happy! We’re treasuring our heritage and having a renewal of our Spirit and are embracing the Joy of being Catholics united by Jesus Christ!!

I saw him kissing babies and small children in St. Peter’s square on EWTN last night. It must have been 2 am and I couldn’t sleep and I thought how this reminds me of how important our families are and our children s future in the church. We have to reach out zealously to our young because they love enthusiasm and we need them to know they belong to God!

God Bless the children Jesus said let them come to me!!!

I love that he’s not afraid to be like Christ. We should all be doing that and I pray for his protection… !

Well, Pope Francis is the “Pope” and as long as the teachings of the Church are manifested we should all support him in his desire to help all enter into eternal life.

Wasn’t John Paul II quite the media superstar early in his papacy?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.